Options

Cover or not ?

Thinking about the first winter for our TAB 400. Is it a good idea to get a cover and if so does anyone have any experience and recommendations about the best brand? We will be storing it outside and can guarantee snow where we live in Canada!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    Definitely cover your TaB to protect the finish from the elements.

The nuCamp online store All Pro Adventures carries the very nice TaB 400 cover made by PahaQue Custom https://www.allproadventures.com/product-page/cover-for-t-b-400.  PahaQue makes very durable, TaB specific tents, awnings and covers for the nuCamp line as well as for other brands.  The items are more favorably priced on the nuCamp site (PahaQue has Outlet sales from time to time).  Although expensive, they should last you multiple years relative to the much cheaper Classic Accessories brand (R-Pod size fits the 400).  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    I forgot to add that I have a Paha Que cover for my 320 and really like it
    It is more expensive but great quality and fit
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    I agree that the "best brand" is the PahaQue. You will pay dearly for it, but I envision it lasting for many years. I do wish for the price it was tailored to fit over the front tub a little better, but I'm being pretty picky here.
    I also live in a winter wonderland and take the additional step to rake the snow off the camper roof on occasion. I'm not really sure what the T@B's "snow-load" capacity is, and I'm not real keen on finding out!  :-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Bob Fuss up in the Rochester area (snow) had damage due to snow weight and his TaB was under a Shelterlogic-type canopy!  
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, @rfuss928, & @Sharon_is_SAM, I use the PahaQue cover as well to cover my T@B. I agree with @ScottG, you have to be mindful of the amount of snow build-up on the top. I have a long handled shop broom, and also a long handled squeegee that both serve the purpose for removing excess snow easily...actually slides off pretty easily if you catch it before it thaws & freezes to the cover. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    greenjacketgreenjacket Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the great suggestions, very helpful. :)
  • Options
    greenjacketgreenjacket Member Posts: 22
    Checked the PahaQue cover on the NuCamp site and unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.
  • Options
    Check the PahaQue custom site.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922

This worked great for several years.  Less cost than the PahaQue cover I use in addition to the shelter.
    Be mindful of accumulating snow as mentioned above.

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Non contact cover is best, grit and dirt getting rubbed by an I'll fitting cover in the winter wind will make you wish you had left it naked. Every see the paint on the front  of a car that had a nose bra?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @rfuss928 that's a nice shelter. Brand? Did you use the cinder blocks for clearance or just to keep the shelter off the ground?
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Non contact cover is best, grit and dirt getting rubbed by an I'll fitting cover in the winter wind will make you wish you had left it naked. Every see the paint on the front  of a car that had a nose bra?
    No argument there, but it's not always a practical option. That said, the PahaQue cover fits quite snugly, leaving very little material to move in the wind.
    I'm more concerned about damage from a collapsing or shredding tent shelter (seen that several times...) than I am about abrasion from the PahaQue cover. Maybe I'll get around to building a real roof for the T@B one of these days, but so far the cover has worked well and I can't quite justify the cost and effort of yet another building!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    Checked the PahaQue cover on the NuCamp site and unfortunately they don't ship to Canada

You may be able to order it from the teardrop shot and have is shipped to Canada
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited September 2018
    It was a Shelter Logic 10x15 from Harbor Freight.  It needed the blocks under the legs to be tall enough.
    The portable shelter was up year round for 4 years.  The cover began to tear at the top corners and it didn't look like it would make it through the fifth winter. 
    SUNT@B had clearly become a long term accessory to our travel so...........
    I built this a few years ago.
    Note the 7 year old PahaQue cover in place.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Our PahaQue cover served us well for 3 years, but the zippers didn’t...I’m having a local tent repair place replace them next week (about $100).  In the meantime I bought a Camping World polypro cover for $114...It’s nicely designed and works well, I’m just not sure it’ll hold up to our winter snows.  We have an aspen and a pine tree overhead; if we didn’t cover it the top would be yukky...using the cover it looks good as new after 3+ years.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    @DurangoTaB, how did the zippers fail?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    A year ago last January I posted the following.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/56950#Comment_56950

The cover worked well that year. After moving to Alaska with the T@B last summer, I used it again here last winter with no problems or apparent wear. Getting ready to use it again for the third year in a row.

Fergie

• Options
    rbrtmrbrtm Member Posts: 34
    My concern would be damaging the plastic windows from windblown fabric.
  • Options
    @rbrtm, I think that you risk more damage to your plastic windows by not covering the TaB.  Wind blowing sand, twigs, and debris will scratch the surface.  If you wash your TaB, let it dry and wax it (add a layer of polish to the windows, too) then cover it securely, you will keep it looking new.  UV damage is also a concern.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @ScottG...the self-healing zipper stopped healing.  There’s a spot about halfway down where the teeth got frazzled...not sure why.  PahaQue said they would fix it, but it’s $30-50 shipping each way to CA. We have a tent/canvas repair lady who can do the repair for $50.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Thanks, @DurangoTaB. I'm coming up on my fourth winter with the cover and it helps to know what potential issues to keep an eye open for.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    For those who  may have interest, I am posting some pics of the T@B400 Cover by PahaQue which we ordered from
    Be aware that the picture on PahaQue site and elsewhere doesn't picture the 400 trailer and cover. What I like about it: Its a quality-made cover, it goes on and comes off readily, the zippered access to the door is great, and shipped quickly direct from PahaQue. What disappointed me is that the fit of the cover is very loose in the front and back. Left as is, stored outside, it would flap strongly in the wind even when the cinch straps are as tight as possible. We found it necessary to supplement with bungees (at the front) and tarp clips (at the back).
    and after all ended up with an indoor spot for this winter! Here are pics:

Safely tucked away until March.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    HowieJrHowieJr Member Posts: 5
    Bought our new 320s last winter and added a Classic Accessories cover soon after.  The price was great but a few mos later it started to disintegrate along the top seams.  In CA. I assume due more to sun and wind than winter weather.  They promptly replaced it and it's been fine for the past 6 mos.  At about $70 I figured if it lasts 2 yrs I'll be ahead of the game!  It's stored in an open RV lot.  I initially threw a tarp over it but soon discovered that flapping in the wind was scratching the windows.
  • Options
    melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
      When I bought my used 2017 Tab it came with the PahaQue cover. The cover seems to have deteriorated. The inside (contact with the trailer surface) had mildewed. The owner had tried to pressure wash it, making it seem porous. I’m not sure it’s waterproof any more. Should I use it or dump it? I contacted the manufacturer but no reply. 

2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    It sounds to me like they stored it wet and it mildewed.  I think the top is more water resistant than the sides, but they are designed to breathe.  I think the nail in the coffin was the pressure washer.  Did you speak with someone at PaHaque or just leave a message?