Alde not draining fully?

Before I started use compressor to drain lines I open the yellow relief valve for the Alde. There wasn’t even a gallon that drained. Since then I have use compressor on the city hookup and dropped tongue then raised it. Still little water. Now what?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Open up a hot water faucet  and see if that helps.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    I opened each faucet in turn while using compressor. My concern is that others have said there should be over two gallons draining to the ground when opening the relief/drain valve for the alde before using compressor.
  • ObtuseMooseObtuseMoose Member Posts: 11
    I've had exactly the same experience with my 2019  T@B 400, so I'll be watching any answers and comments with interest.   I've exercised all valves (all hot & cold faucets, hot & cold Alde relief valves, low point drains, hot water bypass) in various combinations, and raised and lowered the tongue.  I got maybe 1/2 to 3/4 gallon out.  I kept the air flowing while I opened and closed valves until I wasn't getting anything but air out of every valve.

We did use the Alde for hot water on our last outing and it worked perfectly (and amazingly fast, I might add.)

I'm wondering if there's been a change to the newer Alde systems and the talk of getting two gallons out no longer applies?  Maybe the addition of the Alde Flow changes things? (Don't know if other models have the Alde Flow device or not.)
    --
    Moose
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The Alde hot water tank holds 2.5 gallons of water.  I don’t believe the configuration of the Alde has changed (it’s been improved or upgraded) but will inquire with the factory to see what they recommend.  What pressure are you using on the compressor end?  I normally set my compressor at around 25#.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Are you emptying the Alde first, or have you opened your taps using your pump first?  You may have used some water from the Alde, hence no 2.5 gallons.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited September 2018
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Mega, As @ScottG noted, take a look at the Oct. 16th discussion. I charge my system PRIOR to opening ANY valves with air. The FIRST valve you want to open is the Alde pressure relief valve. Leave it open, and keep the compressor running until all that comes out is a mist, or drip. I've had to do mine more than once when I didn't open that valve first. Just trying to save you some frustration. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Agreed. While I haven't had to resort to pre-pressurizing the system, it seems that opening the Alde drain first might be the key to getting the flow going. IIRC, the one time I had the problem I had drained the hot and cold lines first.
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ScottG, I actually tried both ways: not pressurized versus pressurized. Pressurized works best & I keep my compressor running during draining all the valves, toilet, shower, sink, and water pump. You'd be surprised how much remains in those lines if you don't keep the air flow going. I usually do the valves one, by one, then open them all until all I see is a mist coming out. It has been known to get down to -20 in these parts, and I certainly would be on the safe side of things than the sorry side. Also for those new to this process, make sure you put antifreeze down the shower, sink, and toilet...enough to fill the "P" traps, and cover the bottom of the gray, and black tanks. Then rapidly open & close your black & gray dump valves to get antifreeze down in that area as well. This process will save you having to replace a cracked valve when it freezes! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    Thank you everyone. Lines are mostly drained now. I’m going to try the pressurizing trick though to be sure. I’m just using a 12v inflator and using the 50 psi connector as a precaution.
    Sounds good! And just to clarify, I do pressurize the lines to drain them fully, I just haven't had to pre-pressurize them to get the Alde to drain (yet).
    For those winterizing for the first time and not planning to use antifreeze in the lines, you definitely want to use a compressor to get everything out. As ericnliz noted, there is quite a bit of water left in there after just a simple draining!
    2015 T@B S