New to us, 06 Dutchman

Just bought a 06 Dutchman.   Not sure how much use it has had in the past but we are going to use it a lot.  The plan is going to use it while I am at Forest Fire Camps.  I usually spend about 80 days per summer at a fire camp. this year I went to 7 different states for forest fires.
We are going to make a trip in November to Oklahoma from Washington.  
We have been tent campers for a long time but it is now time to get indoors while camping in the national forest.

Do you think we will have any issues pulling this with a Honda Element AWD or a Jeep Wrangler 4.0?

We are looking for the tent room that goes over the clamshell to give us some protection while making coffee and meals.
Another Question, Where can I get wheel bearings at?  I have been told to have an extra set. 

Thanks

Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Do you know the weight of your trailer?  It appears the tow capacity for the Honda is only 1500# and the JW 2000#.  You don’t want to max out on the weight.  Really should limit tow weight to 3/4 of capacity, so really only 1125 and 1500# including gear.  Remember, you need to be able to stop, not just tow.  So, maybe on the JW and probably not with the Honda.

Regarding the tent - do an Amazon search for Hasika or King Camp.  They are nice little covers that are very easy to set up, secure and are versatile.

Welcome to the forum and have fun!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • SubmarinerSubmariner Member Posts: 14
    I read it weights out to be 880 lbs.
    Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited September 2018
    @Submariner Where did you find that weight? I haven’t seen any on the web under 1500 #s. Of course, I don’t know your exact model.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited September 2018
    I read it weights out to be 880 lbs.
    I think there's a thousand pounds missing from that 880 you saw...
    The Dutchman T@B brochure from 2004 lists the dry weight at 1250lbs and the GVWR at 1869lbs.
    2015 T@B S
    edited September 2018
    I guess I will need to weight it.  I guess it will test the Honda to pull it over the hills. and not the jeep.  it does have brakes on it.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Just found a 2007 Dutchman that weighed under 1650#.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited September 2018
    @Submariner, contact Elsie @ nüCamp about the Dutchman wheel bearings. Her number is in the "contacts" category to the far left of the screen. Nücamp has some parts for  the earlier Dutchman t@bs and can source others. Good luck. Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your trailer. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2018
    Agree with others-- you may have been looking at the kilogram weight, not the pounds. We had an 04DM T@B (and loved it!). Stated total weight (GVWR) was 880 KG, 1939 lbs.

I towed it with a 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon and had no issues, other than very low mileage if traveling at speeds in excess of 60mph. Beware of the "soft floor" issue on these earlier DM T@Bs.

I was told by the PO that he had a soft floor issue and fixed it.   floor seem to be pretty good.   the kitchen has been modified.   I suppose I will put some pictures up.  I already did a modification to the strut support on the outer wall by adding diamond plate to both the interior and exterior walls.  I have a lighting issue that needs to be looked at.  seems everything works but the outside light by the door and the running lights along the side.   Like I said I will post some pictures later today.