Decision time Tab400 or Micro Minnie

RV newbie here. Never owned or towed a TT. We had a couple of different popups in early 80s but nothing since. Kids are grown now so it's just the two of us.
 Trying to decide on a 2018 Tab 400 or 2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS. Local dealer has given us a quote for each that are within $3k of each other. The Tab being the more expensive.

I love the Tab for quality build,smaller profile, lighter weight, the wife loves the Minnie for interior room, more conveniences. Tow vehicle will be 2012 Tundra w/ factory tow package.
Any insights appreciated!

Comments

• SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    I would also research the used resale value of each; after you've had a couple of years of fun camping and may want to go to another model.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    I can appreciate the indecision and pro/cons of each. I had a list of must-have's ranked for importance so that might be a place to start. I would suggest spending an hour or more inside each "playing camping": how do you fit in the bed, the bath, the front table and kitchen; open/close cupboards; storage access inside and out. Check out Travels with Delaney on Youtube as they have a 400. Good videos! I also googled various trailers to learn about issues. Have fun!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Newkid68Newkid68 Member Posts: 3
    Travels with Delaney is where I gathered all my info on the 400. Very solid advice from Patrick. We spent some time in both campers on the dealer lot. May go back this weekend to refresh our memories. The wife is convinced we will be cramped up in the 400 during extended stays. The Winnie is like a condo on wheels compared to the 400 but I prefer the less is more philosophy. I don't want this to be decided by a coin toss! 
    Thanks for your input though, much appreciated.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Another thing to consider is how the manufacturer stands behind their product. NuCamp builds a quality product and goes beyond what many offer to resolve issues. Nothing or no one is perfect, but some handle problems better than others. There’s probably a winnie owners forum online and you can learn a lot about the product from owners. Good luck. 
    PS I’m a very satisfied Tab 320S owner! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Newkid68 said:
    . . . Trying to decide on a 2018 Tab 400 or 2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS.
    . . . Any insights appreciated!

=) You do understand this is a T@B Lovers forum, right? ;)

Most of us have been in the same place you are and for various personal reasons selected our T@B.  We nearly all won't part with our T@b's, the number of folks selling their T@B to move to a larger different brand TT are far and few between.

As others have said take some time to play camping in each TT - - without the sales guy - - you will not only get a feel of living in the space you'll also get a better sense of TT materials & build quality.

And good chance you will find two or more construction defects to be fixed before delivery on the non-T@B TT and Zero on the T@B.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Newkid68Newkid68 Member Posts: 3
    DenisP said:
    We tow with a 2013 Tundra 5.7L with tow package and purchased a 400 with a trade of R-Pod.  IMHO the upgrade to the 400 was significant beyond the superior build quality, the Alde system, the ducted CoolCat heat pump, 12/120V refrigerator, AGM batteries, factory solar with inverter combined elevate the quality of camping is amazing.  The "standard equipment" of trailers: roof top A/C, hot air furnace, separate hot water heater  are sub-standard compared to how the 400 is outfitted.  The Tundra is a dream to tow the 400 with not the greatest MPG (11.5 - 13) but not out of line with other TVs.  Again this is my opinion and from my experience.  You may want to watch Traveling Robert’s you tube for his experience with a Winnie. 
    Do you use any type of sway bar? 
    Are you using the factory installed hitch/receiver?

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited November 2018
    The biggest draw for me to the NuCamp products is quality of construction, features, and NuCamp after sale support. Spend some time in ANY other make and compare quality of construction, I challenge anyone to show me a better quality RV under $50k.

No denying price per SF isn't going to win against the Winnie, but if you want quality, better resale value and those kind of things over more space then I think you will find NuCamp wins every time. Of course if you need more space you look elsewhere OR wait for the NuCamp Avia...
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    edited November 2018
    I forgot to add that it’s been my experience that the larger and roomier the trailer, the less time the occupants spend outside. Just another thought... =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Ummm, IMHO, those Micro Minnie's are hideous!! There is zero debate!  =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• IlsIls Member Posts: 1
    We have owned both.
    The suggestion to spend some time in both campers is a good idea. Notice the windows and TV placements. Sit on the seating. Lay on the beds. Go into the bathrooms. 

There is a noticeable difference in pulling a 2017 Micro Minnie 2106DS to the Tab 400. We barely notice the 400 is behind us and the fuel mileage is better than with the Micro. 

We had no experience with warranty work on the Micro, we didn’t own it long before we traded it for the 400. Search for the Micro Minnie forum and spend some time reading there, too.

We have stayed in both for up to two weeks at the time. Both could have their pros and cons according to your personal preferences. However, we prefer the Tab 400. 

• mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    dont forget to look at little guys trailers,  they now have something similar to the 400
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    @Newkid68 The 400 can feel cramped, but only if you and your wife decide to stay inside it the whole time. My wife and I have done several trips in our 400 since we bought it at the end of July, and we really appreciate all of the little comforts of our trailer. We've used every system, from the A/C, to electric heat, propane heat, fridge, freezer, cooking on the stove, to washing the dishes in the sink afterwards. This current trip (last one of the year), we've had to stay inside quite a lot due to the cold, but at opposite ends of the trailer it's easy to spread out (even with two small cats running around!).

The advice by @dsfdogs to sit inside each one for an hour and "play camp" is exactly what my wife and I did before we made our purchase, and helped us to choose between the 400 and the LG Max. Definitely do that.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    mreric said:
    dont forget to look at little guys trailers,  they now have something similar to the 400
    They are not even close to the same league as the nuCamp products.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I vote for the 400...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I just looked at the footprint of the Minnie.  The bed and dining area are adjacent.  I prefer the 400 arrangement so if one person is napping, the other can hang out in the other end of the trailer.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    Delayed answer about sway bar/hitch question about towing a 400 with a 2013 Tundra:  We use a friction sway bar if it is windy (although have towed without it without issue) and a extended receiver (14” ball to pin with a 2” drop).  We originally used a WDH but after reading a post on the forum about the danger of overloading the 400’s axle due to weight sharing with the heavier Tundra, I removed it and don’t miss it. 
    The 400 tows really nice behind the Tundra as we have it set up. I have checked our weight at CAT scales and the tongue weight with a Sherline scale to make sure our loaded trailer is balanced with about 12-13% on the tongue and total weight under 3500#. 
    We usually tow at around 60 unless passing and have a very stable tow. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2018
    One of the nicest things about the tab is all of the windows. Even though the tab is small (I have a 320) all of the windows make it feel much larger. When it’s parked somewhere pretty, they are really great. When I look at pictures of the Minnie, the first thing I notice is that it only has a couple of tiny little windows.  Whenever I see these giant rigs going down the highway—they don’t have any windows—I think about how much I like my tab.
    @Dcarlton I fully agree! The other nice feature is the ability to turn the Tab for the best view! Two trips ago I was able to turn Bug just enough that all I saw out of all three windows was the forest. Before I turned it my view was a big rig on each side and the road in front. 

I have no idea if you can turn a winnie for a better view...  :)
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    They are very different in form and style -- 
    Minnie: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=zMNB8SC29be
    400: https://nucamprv.com/tab-camper/tab-teardrop-camper/?tab=3#
    I think all you can do is take the advice of @dsfdogs and @Jilong and spend an hour in each pretending what day-to-day activities will be like. That includes cooking, storage, showering, sleeping, operating the lights, fan, refrigerator, stove, plus imagine towing, parking, winterizing, etc. 
    Searching for "RV checklist" I found this overview article: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-learn-type-tt.shtml 

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I suggest you look at a Lance 1475 or 1575 instead of the Micro Minnie.  It has the same windows as the T@B's and better build quality, components, storage and larger fridge.  It is a better comparison as both are upscale manufacturers.  Doesn't have the cute factor of the T@B however.  I really struggled with the decision between the Lance and the 400.  The Lance 1475S won out but each has its merits and only you can decide what will best fit your needs.  Good luck!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    edited January 2019
    jcfaber1 said:
    I suggest you look at a Lance 1475 or 1575 instead of the Micro Minnie.  It has the same windows as the T@B's and better build quality, components, storage and larger fridge.  It is a better comparison as both are upscale manufacturers.  Doesn't have the cute factor of the T@B however.  I really struggled with the decision between the Lance and the 400.  The Lance 1475S won out but each has its merits and only you can decide what will best fit your needs.  Good luck! 

I agree.  If I decide to go larger than my 320 at some point, the 400 and the Lance models you list are on my radar.  I was a little disappointed the frist time I stepped into the 1575, though, I'll admit.  Probably because it just wasn't my sweet T@B. 
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    The T@B windows are always a selling point to me, but a negative on the Minnie is no front or back windows.  As a solo camper, I want a front window to see who is approaching from the road.  I also camp in many areas where the view is out the back.  So many small trailers have a back bath, and that's a big negative to me.  That's also why the Lance 1575 appeals to me, due to the bath in the corner.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
     I love my T@B, a 2016 clam shell. I love everything about it but I also spend a lot of time outdoors and have yet to ever turn my T@B for a better view. I agree that the windows help bring in the outdoors. So my point is the T@B windows bring in the outdoors when weather is not cooperative, but I'm outside enjoying all the views. I also enjoy winter camping. Nature is very different that time of year. The Alde is awesome for quite toasty heat. I have camped near zero and feel confident it would keep me warm well below zero. Love the T@B.
  • jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    The 1575 has the back window which is quite nice but it lacks a sink in the bathroom.  The 1475 gives up the back window but has a much nicer bathroom.  The slide out in the 1575 gives a lot of room for dining.  We have the sofa mini slide in the 1475.  Both of these models are now using the Eco Truma Combi plus combined water heater/furnace.  It is very quiet and efficient.  A decent alternative to the Alde.  There is a lot to look at and these small campers just keep getting better. 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    We were told at the last RV show we went to that the new 1475 model would be 4 season like the rest of the lineup, not just with heating pads for the FW tank. 

In the meantime, we were looking at maybe putting the newer double pane thermal windows on our slightly older T@B S if they'll fit.   Not sure, but didn't NuCamp switch to those in 2017 or 2018 models?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• PauliePaulie Member Posts: 11
    @jcfaber1 We have decided to sell our 2018 T@B 400 and were contemplating the Micro Minnie until we ran across the Lance 1475.  I don't want the slide out, my husband does.  Do you still have your 1475s, and are you still enjoying it?  Any issues/warranty work done to date?
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Paulie, @jcfaber1 has not been active on the forum since last Devember. Good luck with this.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    when you pretend to camp in both trailers, open the widow shades so you can see the difference the windows make in the TaB400.  We looked at quite a few trailers before buying, and most of what we saw was poor cabinet construction, flimsy paneling and poor material,choice, with lots of laminated chip,board, not solid wood or even cabinet quality plywood.  The craftsmanship and cabinet quality stood out on the TaB 400.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.