Tool Kit

ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
Hi, all

Is there a list available of tools needed for a 400? I'm good with the obvious but I know there are several items that I'm not aware of that I'd like to add to my truck's kit. Your help/advice is appreciated.
2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
Tampa, Florida

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,409
    Make sure you have a lug wrench that fits the trailer's wheel bolts. I also like to bring a multimeter in the event I need to diagnose an electrical issue. Otherwise, I just carry the usual compliment of basic tools.
    2015 T@B S

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Two hitch ball wrenches. I've found them to be invaluable. I had a ball loosen up on me once. I've always carried them since. I've helped others with them in campgrounds in and outside of my camping group. They are heavy and may not be necessary for all to carry.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    On your lug wrench, be sure to make sure it fits the spare, too. It might be good to make sure
    you know whether a deep well socket would be better (as in not scratching your wheel) than a “normal” socket. 

Electrical tape, electrical splice kit, extra fuses. 

I just discovered I only had 3 spare fuses for the truck, and of course they do not use the same fuses as the T@B 400. Auto Zone to the rescue—I have them now. 

#1, #2 square drive bits or screw drivers. Once a year gently tighten your exterior screws...everywhere you see one. 

9V batteries for smoke detector....I’m not sure what the CO detector takes. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2019
    +1 on checking the lug nuts.  Our BD Lite has different sizes on the spare vs the axle.
    +1 on checking if you need a deep well too.  Our spare does, the axle doesn't.
    Doh!
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2019
    Good idea about 9v battery.
    The CO/propane detector in the '320' Maxx has no battery backup... oddly.

@Verna said:
    9V batteries for smoke detector....I’m not sure what the CO detector takes. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Well organized and very comprehensive! Just to satisfy my own sense of order, are the bags the same make/model just different colors?
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Water & Electric are 15" red/black Husky tote tool bags from HD with colored duct tape on the handle and labeled in marker.
    Red & Orange are 12" red/black Husky tote tool bags from HD with colored duct tape on the handle & labeled in marker.
    Tool is a large mouth canvas rectangular one from HD that zips closed and is unmarked because it's not sharing space in the storage compartment of the 400 but is in the rear of the truck.
    What's really neat is they just fit in the outside door opening and you just grab it and go.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    Awca12a said:
    For what it's worth, we distribute our tools & equipment into easily manageable bags which get color coded so they are easy to identify and grab.  Since we travel with two or more people, it allows for a sharing of set-up and take-down responsibilities and keeps everything tidy.  There is some duplication such as for head-lamps and adjustable wrenches but this way when you go to do a task, what you need is there every time you need it making nighttime set-up a snap.

The truck has it's own bag allowing us to travel without the trailer and have the truck self reliant.   We've gone through the bag many times thinning it out and adding those few things which let us make repairs and improvise along the way.

Well ask and I shall recieve. Thanks!
    Tampa, Florida
    I forgot to mention that you should have a torque wrench.   Since you only need 95# for the lugnuts you can use the smaller Home Depot 3/8” unit which has a 100# maximum.  

• ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    Awca12a said:
    I forgot to mention that you should have a torque wrench.   Since you only need 95# for the lugnuts you can use the smaller Home Depot 3/8” unit which has a 100# maximum.  

Torque wrench numbers confuse me. Am I looking for foot pounds or inch pounds?
    Tampa, Florida
    Foot pounds
    Or one that goes up to 1140 inch pounds.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    And that big ball nut on the hitch needs 250 ft-lbs for a 1-inch shaft.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The torque wrench I have goes from 40-250 ft-lbs. You dial the number from the handle. You know when you've hit your proper torque when you hear a click or feel the pressure let go. These work fine for the average person. Don't drop them!!! They break easily. I like the old-style that my Dad has. Those have a dial you watch. You can still buy them.

Just FYI, there are electronic torque devices that'll work in a pinch.

Careful which size you order (1/2" vs 3/8")

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,587
    Awca12a said:

Gosh - - - Do I ever feel under equipped - - - :o

I've got a plastic grocery store bag with a couple of square drives, tape, multimeter & such in the T@B.  With a few useful size wrenches (for T@B) added to a tiny road breakdown tools stash in the pick-up truck.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    I think ya' left "belt and suspenders" off that list!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• mh028957mh028957 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2022
    What does everyone carry as far as tools and spare parts for their T@B 320S when traveling and camping? We are New to the Tab 320 world. We downsized from a bigger TT. So different make means some different parts and pieces. 

(@mh028957 - your thread was merged.  See above content.  Moderator)
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    @MuttonChops your post had me literally laughing out loud and I still am chuckling. Nice to know there are kindred spirits for every type among us! 
    We do try to get organized and it sounds so smart and efficient but….life happens.
    😂😂 I enjoyed the laugh! 
    mary 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Comforting to see there are others out there with OCD like me!!!!!!  
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2022
    I got a small plastic screw/bolt organizer box, put the spare fuses, a couple of quick splice connectors, AV outlet tester, multi-meter, and some electrical tape in it.  I addeda multi-tool screwdriver kit in the galley top drawer, along with some gaffer’s tape.
    The truck has the tire lug sockets and Torque wrench in addition to a socket set.  
    Calling it good to go…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ParlandoParlando Member Posts: 123
    High quality duct tape.  I had a side window loose 6 of 7 screws.  I also had a side panel of my Toyota Highlander get bunged up and was sticking out 3-4".  Duct tape saved the trip both times.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    What @Parlando said X2! We always have a roll of gorilla tape with us. While we haven't needed it yet, the roll we carry saved a vacation for a family of 4 we met in Dunedin, FL. They damaged the slideout on their brand new trailer. That gorilla tape held the torn siding and patched their damaged roof long enough to make it back to their home state of South Carolina. Afterwards they contacted us to let us know their trip was successful and completed.

Hooray for tough tape. Like the "Force", it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the universe together!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • DukeHewettDukeHewett Member Posts: 41
    Is the ZeroG collapsable hose the best one on the market?  If so, why?   Thinking of getting one simply because of the ease of storage.  We're not concerned with drinking water through it, we grew up as kids drinking from the garden hose and drinking fountains.