Options

Alde system

I have a CS-S Max.  The Alde heater and hot water stopped working. Last use was in Oct 2018 in North AL. I did allow the pink fluid in the expansion tank to run out. Heat not working was the clue, so refilled the tank, but still not working.  I switched to propane from electric and still nothing. I've run through all the suggestions. Should I take the hoses from the expansion tank to make sure there's no blockage.  Any suggestions. Thanks so much.  
TV is 2011 Subaru Forester 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited January 2019
    @Sebastian, usually the glycol used is not pink, but green and it is an essential element for heating both hot water and the cabin via circulation of the glycol.  If the Alde ran without glycol, I am not sure of the consequences.  How did you end up with an empty expansion tank?  Leak?  What did you refill the tank with and are you certain it has run through the system?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @Sebastian, we have a 2017 CS-S and was diagnosing a no heat problem recently so I have a little experience in what you going through. The Alde is located in the compartment over the driver's side wheel well. Can you hear a swishing sound, like water moving through the hoses when you turn on just the heat? The glycol should be circulating and you should hear the glycol container behind the toilet bubbling/gurgling. 

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2019
    The glycol in mine (2019 model) is light yellow, neither green nor pink.
    BTW, is it just mine, or do they do this on all of them...
    There's a tube coming off the expansion tank cap that's maybe six inches long and drops off into the open space below the expansion tank - it doesn't run anywhere and certainly doesn't go overboard like I would expect.  And yes, I'm sure it goes nowhere because I can see the end of the tube just dangling in free space.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    @targ, that tubing coming off the top of the glycol reservoir is an overflow tubing.  Most tubings are much longer and I believe are routed to come out beneath the floor.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    targ said:
    The glycol in mine (2019 model) is light yellow, neither green nor pink.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    LOL
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

• Options
    edited January 2019
    @Sebastian, if you truly did somehow lose all your glycol, you may need to do more than just fill that overflow bottle.  You may not have enough in the sytem for the pump to circulate anything. 
    (Or is that stating the obvious?)

• Options
    Jenn, why is that dress blue when it started out yellow?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    So do folks get your glycol from Yanny, or Laurel?  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Jenn, why is that dress blue when it started out yellow?
    True story: on my phone it was yellow, on my laptop it was yellow.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Anybody else seeing blue?  I need to get my glasses checked!
  • Options
    SebastianSebastian Member Posts: 23
    Some good info.  @targ, I don't hear the gurgle sound and may not have enough or any glycol in the system.  Will have to check out the system this weekend.   Thanks all.  Also, there appears to be some previous drips below the overflow line, will look closer.
    @Sebastian
  • Options
    SebastianSebastian Member Posts: 23
  • Options
    sdenhofsdenhof Member Posts: 43
    Used my Tab 400 a few weeks ago and alde worked great. Drained the system and plugged it into shore power to keep it warm rather than rewinterizing. My glycol seems to have leaked out some how. Any thoughts on why this would happen?
    2018 Tab 400 towed by 2013 F150
    Evanston Wyoming home
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @sdenhof
    Do you actually see a leak (glycol where it shouldn't be) or is it just low in the viewing window?  Could be the system has just purged air in the lines and adding glycol will fix things.  If you see glycol on the ground or around a fitting then that would warrant checking for a loose fitting somewhere.