HAM Radio Frequencies for the T@B community.

source3source3 Member Posts: 142
edited July 2016 in Products and Accessories
For the amateur radio operators -

Now that T@B sightings are becoming more common, I thought it would be a good idea to establish a national default frequency to monitor other than National Simplex (146.52 Mhz).

In the four wheel drive community the common frequency to monitor is 146.40 Mhz ( #.40 for four wheels).  In Colorado and surrounding states 146.46 is also commonly used.  

I think motorcycles use 146.20?

How about 146.60?  4 wheels (TV) + 2 wheels (T@B) = 6 wheels, hence 146.60? 

FYI: 9 official (people that have a call sign  =) ) HAMs responded to this thread.
Andrew P. 
Durango, CO

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hey, makes me want to get a Ham radio! My aunt used to be really into it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You're a ham, might as well have a ham radio ;-)
  • TearjeeperTearjeeper Member Posts: 7
    Great idea!!!
    i would love to know how many ham we have?

KF5FCT
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Husband - N8ZLQ.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PXLated said:
    :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ratkity, I thought it was funny too! Still laughing! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Wife KF4DHZ me KD4MLK Art,   twenty years before cell phones Karen & I always communicated great on air together & now after 43 years of marriage we still do. She is a drummer & I do the guitar playing at rv parks for the last 13 years. Now getting older not much traveling left.
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I'm AB4BK
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Ratkity said:
    PXLated said:
    :lol:
    He doesn't know the half of it!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    I am K5BRY
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • kcbratkcbrat Member Posts: 12
    Wife is: KE0CKY and I am KE0FPU - along the Colorado front range.  Hope to order our T@b sometime this fall. :)

Kathy and Sorcha, Front Range, Colorado - Coming to campground near you soon : 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel -- T@B Q Max Outback or 400 - Once we decide :)
  • Vega2499Vega2499 Member Posts: 2
  • T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2016
    Great idea! On our current trip I've been monitoring the National frequency and the 146.46Mhz simplex (NW Overland plan frequency). Adding a new entry T@B to round out my top 5 list on my iComs now! My other two are two local repeaters I frequent. 
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • StratmanStratman Member Posts: 5
    This sounds like a good plan ,146.60
    KC9 ADP
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    N7SHG in Oregon. I monitor 146.52. Since that is calling frequency, I usually will respond there and then QSY to have a QSO.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ToulaToula Member Posts: 26
    K4BHY here !
    2019 T@B 400 -- 2017 Toyota Tundra
    South Louisiana
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I’ve been looking at weather radios and I see that C. Crane has one that picks up SSB frequencies in addition to a bunch of other bands. Why would I want this if I can’t transmit? Do Ham operators have such scintillating conversations? Might this be a valuable source of information in an emergency, or if there’s a zombie apocalypse?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    :lol:@Photomom

begin the scintillations! ... 

(CCrane = :two thumbs up:)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    I’m thinking most of the conversations revolve around the weather at the operators’ respective locations, and what kind of radio equipment each is using...
    It is much more common to have a mobile VHF/UHF FM rig while traveling. Generally this is short distance communications or a bit longer using a repeater, but still typically under 100 miles. SSB is usually used on HF which far fewer hams have in a mobile configuration. HF can reach 1000's of miles and is what you might hear on your SSB receiver.
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    It is much more common to have a mobile VHF/UHF FM rig while traveling. Generally this is short distance communications or a bit longer using a repeater, but still typically under 100 miles. SSB is usually used on HF which far fewer hams have in a mobile configuration. HF can reach 1000's of miles and is what you might hear on your SSB receiver.
    Thanks, that will save me some money! The radio with all those bands is spendy!
    @Photomom just get your Technician license and then you can get an inexpensive handheld radio and talk to the rest of us. I would venture to say almost anyone could pass the tech level license with a little study.
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Photomom just get your Technician license and then you can get an inexpensive handheld radio and talk to the rest of us. I would venture to say almost anyone could pass the tech level license with a little study.
    I was an electronic tech in the service and considered getting a license years ago but didn’t care to learn Morse code. I don’t need another hobby at this point.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Photomom, DH says the Morse code requirement for a license has been dropped.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • MorganMorgan Member Posts: 3
    Morgan, NJ8M here. I detest VHF and UHF radio. I have had my license since I was 13 so that makes 53 years an Amateur Radio Operator. Advisor of CWOPS. Contester. 98% Morse code (CW) operation. Antenna builder. Tower Climber. Station builder. Just ordered 2 K4 elecraft radios as of last December and I am waiting for the build that was hozed by the CoVID economic plague. Home station is JK Antenna Navassa 5 with 6 meter addon sitting on a 38 foot Rohn 45G tower bracketed to the house, 40 meter vertical, 40 meter low dipole, 80 inverted L and 160 inductively loaded inverted L off the 80 40 feed point. I am currently designing and building a 3 element 20/15 meter yagi that will weigh in at about 10 pounds and can easily be supported with a fiberglass push up mast for POTA activations. For years traveling on the road for work, I worked 40 CW out of the truck going down the highway. Then sometimes I would switch to SSB for meeting up with friends that I know through out the US. The wife of 46 years and I will be traveling next year in the TAB 400 Solo. Looking into redoing the electrical system in the battery/inverter system and looking for low noise sinewave inverters. Most likely I will be going to DXengineering and buying the Samlex solution of inverter and Solar options. We shall see. Until the next QSO,

Vy 73, es best DX
    Morgan NJ8M
    @Morgan Samlex makes nice inverters, I have a 150w unit in my work truck that is RF quite, can't say that about the cheaper ones I used to buy, they were 1/3 the size and twice the watts and lots of hash!

I did FD a couple years back out of my cargo trailer I built a solar system for back in 2005. The Morning Star PWM charge controller rendered my KX3 useless so much noise, I had to turn solar controller off and run just on battery. So it is important to research charge controller and inverter choices if you need to do more than make coffee 🙂

Most of my operating is portable, no HF antennas at my house and an indoor VHF/UHF although I may change that next year.

I operate SOTA some, but only a dabbler, haven't been this year.

I just got a new mag loop for home use and/or portable. Gearing all my equipment toward small portable as I get closer to retirement so that travels on the Tab with radios and antennas is a bit easier to store and deploy.

I have been operating most of my VHF/UHF using Fusion digital, maybe not of interest by your comment, but sure is clear and range is good until it isn't, works clearly or doesn't. I run low power and clear comms around town out to 10 miles or so and I live in a valley surrounded by rimrocks.
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    I am a ham too, (N7OIL.... appropriate for my Texas location now) but have been largely inactive for most of my 43 years of being licensed.  Like @Morgan, I got my license very young, in fact at 10 years old.  But I did it mainly to spend time with my father (A7DHR, formerly WA7VNQ) and to go to all the fun club events as a kid with him. I did not get the desire to “gab” like he always had, but i’ve since become a little more warm to the idea.  I know that the code requirement scared a few people away, but it has been quite a few years since that requirement was lifted, I understand.  Anyway... lots of us T@bbers seem to be Hams as well.  Very cool!  Happy Hamming, y’all!
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • LloydLloyd Member Posts: 34
    Ham since 1968, WA8ZZL.
    2020 T@B 400 w/ factory solar
    2015 Nissan Frontier SV, 4WD Crew Cab
    Cottage Grove, MN
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Ham 2 meter in my ultralight at 2000 feet in the air while flying got great range with it! No longer fly but sure did enjoy it. KD4MLK
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • p21usap21usa Member Posts: 13
    Not me, but my husband and "pilot" of our 2021 T@B 400.  His call sign is KC4FNE... 54 years as a ham radio operator.