Trailer Security

As a new first time trailer owner, I suffer from quite limited knowledge, but I'm trying to learn.  When I picked up my new T@B, I purchased a recommended receiver lock and felt secure using it.  I then noted that Rick and Sandy Stevens, in their excellent manual posted on this forum, recommend using a wheel lock for protection.  I started browsing and found a video demonstrating how quickly a wide variety of receiver locks (mine included) can be defeated. Then I ran across this video.  It din't make me want the vehicle monitor, but I was enlightened, and will receive my wheel lock this week.  I realize any security device can be defeated, but just want something that provides reasonable security at a reasonable cost and is reasonably convenient to use.
Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim

Comments

• MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I purchased the Blaylock BLEZ 392 from eTrailer. It looks very secur and is aluminum and fairly light.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep - Easy to steal - Harder with a wheel lock - Of course even with that they could put it on a dolly if they were determined.
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I have both a hitch lock and this...but I suppose nothing's perfect... http://teardropshop.com/collections/towing/products/teardrop-lock

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I agree.  We can't always protect against those motivated to invest the necessary time and resources and successfully accept the risk, but we can discourage most potential thieves.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • barbk210barbk210 Member Posts: 1
    Mercator, How do you like the Blaylock wheel lock? Did it come with lug nut locks? All I see on the etrailer web site is the Blaylock 300. Do you have a link to the Blaylock 392.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I use a hitch lock, coupler lock, and wheel lock, and a good insurance policy. We know the determined can foil our best attempts, but it can't hurt to slow them down.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

barbk210 said:
    Mercator, How do you like the Blaylock wheel lock? Did it come with lug nut locks? All I see on the etrailer web site is the Blaylock 300. Do you have a link to the Blaylock 392.
    Sorry, I must have mistyped ... it is the 302 (https://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Blaylock-Industries/BLEZ-302.html). I ordered the 300, but it was too small, so I returned it and replaced it with the larger size.  It works well and as it is aluminum it is lighter, but still would require a lot of effort for someone to remove.  It came with the lock nuts, but I haven't installed those.  I found that the locking pin was about 1/2 inch too long to be secure as someone could use a saw to cut through the shank.  I solved this problem by just slipping on a large nut to take up the space.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
    I've got this one...Works great...Beware, it has one of those round hollow keys. If sand manages to get in the lock you'll play hell getting it off. You stick the key in and it compresses the sand. Happened to me in a wind/sandstorm - Took me 30 minutes to suck the sand out - Yes, water in, suck with mouth out. Only other option was to remove the wheel and put the spare on.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B0031XULF2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=04DCVQY1A5ECYRKF95SS
    I should add - When in a campground with others around all I use is a hitch lock. Not too worried about theft with others around - Especially when they've met or seen me so know who owns it. Use the tire lock when out boondocking and leaving the trailer unattended.
    Just a simple, straight steel, through the hitch holes lock.
    Patti said:
    Does anybody use the hitch lock that Little Guy sells in their store?

http://teardropshop.com/collections/hitch-and-coupler-locks/products/hitch-pin-lock

What kind of hitch lock do you use?

Combination padlock with long shackle.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    I'm getting ready to buy a wheel lock and am debating which coupler lock to get. Does anyone know if the coupler on the T@Bs are bolted or welded on? I read if bolted, a thief could just unbolt the entire coupler so not sure what, if anything, would prevent that. I realize nothing will give us 100% security but a few items might help deter the attempts. Thanks. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

Anyone with Law Enforcement background knows, and will tell you; most [anti]theft devices can be defeated by a determined thief who has motive & opportunity. However, some devices are very good deterrents and will greatly reduce the potential for theft.

I know of instances where home burglar alarms were disabled while the homes were occupied. In one instance, the homeowner had added a simple [stand alone] motion sensor, in the form of a plastic rooster, which "cock-a-doodle-dooed when the bad guy entered the home.  The homeowner was armed. The bad guy didn't fair well.

In addition to various types of locks, you should also know your surroundings. If you're going to be away from your campsite for a decent amount of time, tell a trusted fellow camper/traveler to call you via cell if someone other that you is "interested" in your trailer. Or, they should to notify campground personnel, or Law Enforcement if they have serious suspicions.

Set up and participate in a "Campground Watch Program," created by you and fellow [trusted] campers.

Note: It's not advisable for your fellow camper to "challenge" overly interested folks, as that could result in an altercation. Let the Professionals handle that.

Rangers/Sheriffs/Police have a good deal of knowledge/experience with regard to the prevention of thefts. They would rather advise how to prevent such occurrences, than take a report of a theft.

I'm not sure if he's still around, but one could hire Clyde the orangutan from the Clint Eastwood movies. Now that's an anti-theft device you can count on!

Just my thoughts.

Thank you. I realize the items we use are only deterrents - and I'll definitely be aware of my surroundings (as I do when I have vacationed for many years on various islands) and take precautions. Will get to know fellow campers as well. Just was curious as to the coupler on the T@B (can't remember when I looked at them). I'll have a few devices as others do.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I'm getting ready to buy a wheel lock and am debating which coupler lock to get. Does anyone know if the coupler on the T@Bs are bolted or welded on? I read if bolted, a thief could just unbolt the entire coupler so not sure what, if anything, would prevent that. I realize nothing will give us 100% security but a few items might help deter the attempts. Thanks. 
    Thank you. I realize the items we use are only deterrents - and I'll definitely be aware of my surroundings (as I do when I have vacationed for many years on various islands) and take precautions. Will get to know fellow campers as well. Just was curious as to the coupler on the T@B (can't remember when I looked at them). I'll have a few devices as others do.

Michele, I have the Silver Shadow, not a T@B.  The coupler on my SS is welded on.  Maybe someone with a T@B will have time to look at theirs to tell you whether their T@B's coupler is welded or bolted.

As far as security, I have a hitch lock and a coupler lock that are keyed alike--that comes in handy with all of the keys I have.  And, I have a tire lock.  If I am staying one night and the campsite is relatively level, I don't even unhitch from the truck, but the coupler lock is always locked on, even when traveling.  If I'm leaving the SS, the tire lock gets put on, along with the other two locks.  My attitude is, yes, locks are for honest people, but if someone has to mess with three locks, then they'll go find an easier and quicker camper to "borrow". 

Here are the locks I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7014700-Store-Lock/dp/B001IH8PXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431796159&sr=8-2&keywords=reese+trailer+lock

http://www.amazon.com/Club-491-Tire-Security-Device/dp/B000SDVEU4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1431796216&sr=8-8&keywords=trailer+tire+lock

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7005300-Brass-Coupler/dp/B001IH2T4E/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1431796274&sr=8-7&keywords=reese+trailer+lock

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks Verna -- I agree - the more the merrier?! For the wheel lock (no matter which one I get), I wonder if one can fashion some kind of rubber tip over the key area (if it's not flush) so debris doesn't get in there. PXLated had quite the experience with a wind storm and lots of sand getting into the lock. I will be traveling that area he was in.

Thanks Verna -- I agree - the more the merrier?! For the wheel lock (no matter which one I get), I wonder if one can fashion some kind of rubber tip over the key area (if it's not flush) so debris doesn't get in there. PXLated had quite the experience with a wind storm and lots of sand getting into the lock. I will be traveling that area he was in.

Michele, mine came with a rubber cover.  It's flimsy, but with some careful work getting it on and off, it should last.  I just had a thought.  A Velcro tie wrap could be wrapped around the lock and where it is attached.  The Club brand I bought did not come with a round key.  It has a "normal" key, but with lots of partially drilled holes in it.  Sand still could get in there and I'll be remembering PXLated's advice about the sand. I used mine a lot last winter while wintering in AZ, and I didn't have any trouble with it. I know it got rained on, and I know it got "sanded" a few times.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    There is a lock cover on the one I had but it came undone or was blown open. One could probably just tape it securely. But I wouldn't bother unless I'm back in sand and grit. I actually don't use it in campgrounds where there's a host or checkin station. When boondocking, it's a different deal.
  • KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    How do you guys secure your Zamp panels when you are away from the T@B for the day? So far I've taken the Blanche DuBois approach: "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers." But it does sometimes tug at my mind that this $800 accessory is sitting out unsecured on the campsite.
    I actually only worried about my solar panel on BLM campgrounds where everyone was spaced rather far apart. One day when I was going shopping, I didn't put the panels out until I got back. It was tight on battery power that night, but I made it. 

I figure on my 200 watts, I will drill a couple of holes in the frame for two padlocks, use a heavy Kevlar cable and padlock it to the truck or tongue. If someone wants it bad enough to carry the tools to take it, they need it more than me.

Locks are for honest people, and the crooks are always a couple steps ahead of we honest people. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN

Good idea about the Cable Locks. While nothing will prevent all thefts, you should always try to deter the would be thieves!

In addition. you may wish to engrave* the panel frames in a number of places, then take photos. I bought a "cheapo" engraver at Harbor Freight which works just fine, just practice first.

Also, for a number of years, auto dealers have etched Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) on auto glass to deter theft. I've seen it done. It is a very easy process.

You can Google/YouTube, "Auto Glass Security Etching" to see a number of companies that sell, "Do It Yourself" kits! They come with stickers to warn "would be thieves" that the item is marked with traceable numbers.  

*don't use SS#, or phone number as you don't want the thieves to have such info. Etching kits come with instructions. If your panels are stolen, immediately notify area Law Enforcement. 

This is one area - panels - where I think companies like Zamp need to step up and provide something like the security cable attachments on laptops. We shouldn't have to be drilling and etching.
    Another Good Idea (for ZAMP)! Maybe, if a number of T@B owners contact the manufacturer with those excellent suggestions, perhaps they will incorporate them into their production process.
    Ok - I just sent Zamp a message -So should all of you. - http://www.zampsolar.com
    They don't have a corporate email address listed - Scroll to the bottom and click the contact button and you'll get a submission form (god I hate those things).
    PXLated said:
    Ok - I just sent Zamp a message -So should all of you. - http://www.zampsolar.com
    They don't have a corporate email address listed - Scroll to the bottom and click the contact button and you'll get a submission form (god I hate those things).
    Just did it. We will see what kind of a response we get.
    The more the merrier :-)
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I was actually doing some research in this over the weekend. Agreed, they really need to make some progress with security for these panels.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Heard back from Zamp and they are in the planning stages for some type of security feature for all their portable systems. So, hopefully they'll come up with something. My guess is it won't be retrofitable though, we'll see.
    Here's what I got for a response from Zamp:
    "Hello,
     For the security of your portable, I would recommend going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting some braided wires/cord and a lock and looping it through your portable and connecting it to your RV. If you have a long enough cable, you can also loop it through your chairs and whatever else you have out there that you don't want to tear down. "

Well, at least there is no drilling involved.

The only place on mine to loop thru is the handle.
    the one problem I see is you need an extra-long cable to still allow positioning options - at least eight as long as the power cord.