Options

Trailer Security

Comments

• Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    4ncar said:
    I use a wheel claw and have a lug lock. My spare is also locked. If they have the time to foil all of this, then the insurance will buy me a new trailer.
    Locking the spare is a good thing to mention. Who manufactured your wheel claw? How heavy is it? The ones I looked at would not fit a tire as wide as the 235 (9.2") on the Outback
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Cherokee: it’s called, “the club tire claw XL.” I bought it at the dealer when I picked up my trailer.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Thanks - I haven't seen that one before and the 12" model will fit the larger Outback tires and at 7lbs it's not as heavy as some of the others. We'll see how my 2lb bike lock works on the trail. We wanted something light and easy to carry for when we leave the trailer to go wheeling in the Jeep or hiking. The Lock n Roll hitch should be a deterrent as well - few people have that receiver. In addition, I'll put a carabineer style release on the chains.        
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    For a sobering lesson on how easy it is to pick locks, search YouTube for the "lock picking lawyer."  He actually has a few videos on trailer locks (including the Club Tire Claw XL).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Tabaz said:
    For a sobering lesson on how easy it is to pick locks, search YouTube for the "lock picking lawyer."  He actually has a few videos on trailer locks (including the Club Tire Claw XL).
    Yes - I watched those too. Sad, but would be thefts also watch them 
  • Options
    I turn mine upside down, so the lock is facing the ground. Just that much harder to pick, if you can’t see the lock and it limits access.  
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    I turn mine upside down, so the lock is facing the ground. Just that much harder to pick, if you can’t see the lock and it limits access.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gctHsKUu1NY

• Options
    Ya, I saw it. Flip it so the tumblers face down. Then try & pick it. Short of 3 shots from a powderactuated nail gun, it should be good.  For god sakes, is their any humanity left? I do not fear my trailer being stolen. I take precautions, after that....insurance 
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Well there's always one of these for each "corner" of the roof:

https://www.hackster.io/hackershack/raspberry-pi-motion-tracking-gun-turret-77fb0b

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    DougH said:
    Well there's always one of these for each "corner" of the roof:

https://www.hackster.io/hackershack/raspberry-pi-motion-tracking-gun-turret-77fb0b

Glad to see someone is taking this thread seriously !
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Well if there's one thing naer-do-wells fear, it's nerf darts.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I say load the guns with permanent paint or dye then they'll be running around with paint on them!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    A $20 hardware solution to save your trailer:

2" ball locks for couplers are common. However, an enterprising thief could simply back up to your trailer, connect the safety chains to his truck and drive off with your trailer and deal with the coupler lock at their leisure. To prevent this, I bought two short sections of chain and two "master links" with J-bar quick release pens. With the chains removed, their is nothing for the thief to easily grab and connect to their truck.    
  • Options
    @Cherokee  Is that your trailer?  Do you realize your chains are supposed to be crossed in an X?   So that if your trailer were to come off the ball the hitch would drop down onto the chains & not dig into the pavement?
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    lkc001 said:
    @Cherokee  Is that your trailer?  Do you realize your chains are supposed to be crossed in an X?   So that if your trailer were to come off the ball the hitch would drop down onto the chains & not dig into the pavement?
    Yes I do and that's good advice - they were run strait in this image to give the clearest  view of the links 
  • Options
    @Cherokee that's good :)
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Cherokee said:
    lkc001 said:
    Yes I do and that's good advice - they were run strait in this image to give the clearest  view of the links 
    It's also a good idea to shorten up long chains by giving them a twist when you clip them in. 
  • Options
    ZeckmmZeckmm Member Posts: 10
    For a good coupler lock I went with a Fort Knox (Atwood plus) with a cobra puck tumbler. I felt the tumbler better than competitors. Also  the lock itself stands out more and says "don't mess" with me. $188 delivered to my door thru ft Knox locks.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2019
    I'm wondering which would be a better choice: Twisting, or putting the end of the chain through the hitch & looping back to clip onto itself?
    Maybe it would be better to add a screw-on link to the middle of the chain for taking up slack, then clip the end link directly onto the hitch (as with twisting, but without the twisting)?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    The safety chains on mine were simply attached to the frame with hardened bolts. While I'm not 100% convinced this is the strongest arrangement, that's how it was, so I just unbolted them, took up the slack, and reattached them.
    IIRC I did have to use slightly longer bolts because the extra trailing link required a little more depth. I did consider cutting off the excess chain but wanted to retain the ability to lengthen them again if ever needed.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    As many said, if they want it they will take it.  My thinking is how do I get it back.  I won't say publicly, which or where my gps tracker is but here are a few to ponder on.

https://cartbig.com/best-car-gps-tracker-no-monthly-fee/
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Twisting chains is not recommended.  It can actually reduce the strength of the chain.
     ;) Did you do the math on that? It's true, a twist will modestly reduce (single digit %) the strength of a link....modestly and if the chain is properly sized to begin with, not enough to make any difference. Actually the small reduction is probably a wash to the additional snap load that a longer chain would see in a safety situation. If the chains are too long a couple twists to shorten up are pretty much a standard practice for anyone that hauls heavy equipment. Twisting links to the point of overlap should never be done...that has a more significant effect on the force vectors.. 
    Getting the right sized chains to begin with is the only correct way to deal with the issue. Using bungee cords to shorten up long chains is not due to the additional snap load on the links. Cross them and if still too long give em a twist or two and then make it a point to get those extra links removed.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    edited July 2019
    ScottG said:
    The safety chains on mine were simply attached to the frame with hardened bolts. While I'm not 100% convinced this is the strongest arrangement, that's how it was, so I just unbolted them, took up the slack, and reattached them.
    IIRC I did have to use slightly longer bolts because the extra trailing link required a little more depth. I did consider cutting off the excess chain but wanted to retain the ability to lengthen them again if ever needed.
      If you connect safety chains properly they're never too long.  Most people just hook the chain hook onto their vehicle and call it good.  They are designed to be strung through the "loops" on the hitch and brought back to a link on itself, insuring proper slack.

https://www.uhaul.com/videos/Safety/How-To-Hook-Up-Safety-Chains-To-Your-Vehicle/
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    GatorEgg said:
    If you connect safety chains properly they're never too long.  Most people just hook the chain hook onto their vehicle and call it good.  They are designed to be strung through the "loops" on the hitch and brought back to a link on itself, insuring proper slack.
    Perhaps, but it has been reported here in the past that not all hitches have a large enough opening to thread the hook through (as noted in the video). 
    I don't see a strength advantage to either method, though looping the chain back on itself might reduce the chance of it coming unhooked, particularly if the hook doesn't have a positive looking mechanism (as T@B hooks do).
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Here is a link to the Purdue University Extension service about "Keep the Trailer Connected."

Page 42 starts the discussion of Safety Chains.  All the pictures of the couplers in this thread made me think:  are those couplers rated correctly?  Are they now the "weakest link."

This file is also linked in the "Hitching and Towing" section of the Forum.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    I will defer to the mathematicians in the group😏. I will reference the Purdue University document https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ppp/ppp-92.pdf pg pg 45.  Appropriate length is indeed important.  I hesitate on a general forum to suggest any twisting is an option, as some folks won’t just twist a little.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    Cherokee said:

. . .  two short sections of chain and two "master links" with J-bar quick release pens. With the chains removed, their is nothing for the thief to easily grab and connect to their truck.

Did you purchase Transportation Rated master links or just what the local home owner hardware store had in stock?
    For your solution to be safe & useful if the coupler even fails grade 43 links are needed.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Cherokee said:

. . .  two short sections of chain and two "master links" with J-bar quick release pens. With the chains removed, their is nothing for the thief to easily grab and connect to their truck.

Did you purchase Transportation Rated master links or just what the local home owner hardware store had in stock?
    For your solution to be safe & useful if the coupler even fails grade 43 links are needed.

good point and yes I have a great Hardware Store that stocks quality items  
  • Options
    PhilipddeanPhilipddean Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    New here.  I am buying a 2022 TAB400.  Gonna get a Fort Knox lock.  Is the Fort Knox (Atwood plus) the correct one?

Thanks!