Kentucky Bourbon Trail camping

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
We are planning a trip to Kentucky and a visit to family on the way down from Cleveland.  We would like to visit the 4 distillaries in the northeast near Lexington.  Any suggestions for camping that is not too far away?  Not interested in a resort style facility.  Any suggestions appreciated.  
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited February 2019
    There's a small campground at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown. It's little southwest of the distilleries I suspect you are talking about, but of course Bardstown itself is home to some some major players in the Bourbon world.
    The park is more of historical than natural interest, and--for better or worse--it's right in town. There does appear to be an adjacent golf course, but if memory serves it's hardly what I would call a resort style facility.
    And there's nothing like waking up to the aroma of the mash wafting over town. I understand the locals call it the smell of prosperity.
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Thanks Scott, I will check it out.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    We stayed at the Bowling Green KOA
    Makers Mark was our favorite distillery stop.
    The Corvette Museum was interesting.
    Mammoth Cave NP too...
    Have Fun!

• IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    This sounds like a cool trip! Please post pics! :wink:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    We haven't camped in that area, but the tour at Jim Beam is pretty good. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @Sharon_is_SAM Singing Hills Campground is right up the road from Mammoth Cave NP.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Mammoth Cave is pretty cool--we did it as a day trip from My Old Kentucky Home SP Campground.
    However, it is another hour plus SW of Bardstown, which is already an hour plus SW of Lexington. I guess it depends on how far afield you are willing to go from your original plan.
    2015 T@B S
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I have not camped there, but friends have told me that the campground at the Kentucky Horse Park just north of Lexington is nice.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

I am looking at campgrounds in the Frankfort area now - just a little NW of Lexington.  That seems to be a nice compromise for location and distillery distance.  
  • SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    We stayed at the Kentucky horse park a few years ago. It was nice, quiet at the time we were there. Beautiful area. 
    Goid to know.  That is on the list of possibilities.
  • grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    Add to your list Taylorsville Lake State Park.  The campground is not bad and it is rather centrally located although a bit off the beaten path.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • We stayed at Taylorsville Lake State Park, for our Kentucky Bourbon Trail adventure a couple years ago. It is a very nice park.  One thing we didn't realize is how much time it takes to get from one distillery to the next. Allow plenty of time & have fun!! Our favorite tour was Buffalo Trace and that wasn't even on our list.  :)
    OK. I just booked Taylorsville Lake State Park.  It is about 45 minutes away from most of the distillaries ... but we will only plan to visit a few on this trip.  Thanks for all your suggestions!
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    If the tour guide asks for a volunteer-raise your hand quickly! We toured the Middleton Distillery in Ireland years ago, the guide asked for volunteers, all of the men must have been in the army. Finally, I and another little old white haired lady put our hands up. What a hoot! We were each given 5 generous shots of different whiskies to sample. The other volunteers' daughter was aghast-Mother! You can't possibly drink all of those! We both did ourselves proud! Happily, this was at the end of the 1+ hour tour involving metal stairs, cobblestones, and standing still listening to the entire history of Irish whiskey distilling, beginning with the formation of bogs! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

You all are makin' me thirsty...
    2015 T@B S
    @jgram2, I am practicing volunteering as I type!  I will make sure John drives😀
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Sharon_is_SAM, you'd be better off practicing imbibing! (It's somewhat more fun too.) In moderation, of course.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

edited February 2019
    @jgram2, I had the same experience at the Old Jameson Distillery in Dublin. DW and I were prepped for it, however, as we had read about this routine in a travel book. We shot our hands up as soon as we heard "I need a couple vol..."
    Funnier still were the two older Spanish ladies next to us. Neither spoke English and I suspect they weren't sure what was going on but as soon as our hands went up they caught on real fast and had theirs up in a fraction of a second. Language barriers aside, we had a great time sitting with them. Turns out they weren't all that fond of whiskey, so I got a few extra drams for good measure.  ;-)
    But we digress. The thing about distilleries is--marketing strategies and free samples aside--they all pretty much make their hooch in the same time-honored manner. Touring two or three per trip is usually enough to get your fix and maybe hunt down a few varieties you can't find elsewhere.
    2015 T@B S