Help Using Solar Controller

Comments

• DannerDanner Member Posts: 11
    @ScottG @Sharon_is_SAM ;  Sharon has summarized the situation well.  But the current controller I have is not a Victron.  It is another brand.  It looks like this.  

Sharon is correct that forum members have had mixed results with the BT function with this unit notwithstanding that the BT symbol is visible on the LCD display (not in this picture, though).

I will pass on anything I hear from Creed.  In the meantime, maybe someone who has actually done the swap will chime in.  

I see this same controller as pictured.  How do you use it?  I press the buttons on the face and see nothing displayed. I also see what looks like a USB port on the side...what is it for?   Iam a new owner...the documentation tells me nothing.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Danner, you operate this system via an app using Bluetooth.  Hopefully someonw will chime in.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Thank you Sharon I will check it out...I have an iPhone...what app should I look for?

• PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @Danner Welcome to the T@BForum. Attached is documentation from one of the distributors for that controller that I found helpful - maybe you already have this. If you see nothing displayed (black screen) then the controller is not getting any power from the battery. Assuming the battery has a charge, it is possible a connection to the controller has come loose or is mis-wired. A couple of questions so the forum members can best assist: Is this a new or used trailer from a dealer? Which year and model do you have?
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

It is a new trailer I bought from a dealer 3 weeks ago.  
    edited February 2019
     @Danner and the model is a 320 or a 400? I have pics of proper wiring for a 400 and can forward if that is the model you have. Have you sought assistance from the dealer?
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

• rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2019
    Danner said:
    I see this same controller as pictured.  How do you use it?  I press the buttons on the face and see nothing displayed. I also see what looks like a USB port on the side...what is it for?   Iam a new owner...the documentation tells me nothing.
    I purchased my 2019 320 S with the same controller and issue. The wires coming from the battery are reversed. I changed them and now have a display. I’ve not had the opportunity to try out the panels, so cannot speak to how well it works.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    @Danner @rjgors Below is a picture of the correct wiring in a T@b400. The wires in the two leftmost connections go into a hole in the wood behind the controller and travel up to the rooftop solar panels. The wires for the two center connections on the controller, with a fuse on the positive side,  enter a black wiring shroud and connect over to the battery. (The wiring on mine was reversed on delivery.)

Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

@Danner @rjgors Below is a picture of the correct wiring in a T@b400. The wires in the two leftmost connections go into a hole in the wood behind the controller and travel up to the rooftop solar panels. The wires for the two center connections on the controller, with a fuse on the positive side,  enter a black wiring shroud and connect over to the battery. (The wiring on mine was reversed on delivery.)

Seems to be a common issue with this. That’s how I figured out they were backwards...by following wires.......and this great board.

Are you able to connect via Bluetooth?
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    edited February 2019
    @rjgors. I have connected with Bluetooth. I'd recommend searching for "RenogyBT"  on Google Play Store for Android, and should be available on the Apple App Store as well. The admin password is135790123. The range is not great - if I am any further than 1 step away from the trailer I can't connect but for me it beats reaching below the bed to look at the controller display.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

Did anyone give nuCamp a head’s up regarding the reversed wiring onthe charge controller?
    @Sharon_is_SAM Yes, in my case both Austin and Marvin was aware of it at the time (my trailer was an April 2018 build). @rjgors mis-wire was on a 2019.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

I too advised folks at nuCamp about the wiring issue.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    @rjgors. I have connected with Bluetooth. I'd recommend searching for "RenogyBT"  on Google Play Store for Android, and should be available on the Apple App Store as well. The admin password is13579012. The range is not great - if I am any further than 1 step away from the trailer I can't connect but for me it beats reaching below the bed to look at the controller display.
    Thanks. Found the app on Apple App Store. The admin password you provided is invalid. I wonder if it’s device sensitive 
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
     @rjgors Sorry, I think I dropped a digit. Try 135790123.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

@rjgors Sorry, I think I dropped a digit. Try 135790123.
    Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. Thank you! Any secrets to getting them synced? Just sit next to it?
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    @rjgors If the apple app is the  same as Android, at the bottom of the phone screen touch the spot labeled "Device Info" and then on the next page displayed select "Search Device" and if you are in range and the bluetooth gods are willing it should connect.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

I have a question regarding the solar controller in this discussion. Today it was a very bright day and I had the T@B out washing it. This was the first time to really check the controller since buy the RV last fall. 

After reversing the wires this past February to get the unit powered up, I noticed today that the controller shows the solar panel isn’t charging the battery. I can see the display showing the moving lines from the battery to the bulb, but not the solar panel to the battery. Was not connected to AC, so it was all battery. Should there always be some flow from the solar panel to the battery? If so, I’m have an issue and not sure where to start.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    Is your battery already full?
    Is your battery already full?
    I believe so. I keep it on AC in the garage. The battery monitor I have says 12.65 volts, and the controller had two lines noting 50% battery. If if it wasn’t fully charged, I would have expected to see the solar charging the battery.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    Well, is it only 50% charged or is it full?  Are you using the app?  @PamandJohnUpNorth2, we need your help here!
    edited May 2019
    @rjgors My misfortune last year with the solar controller was twofold. The first thing that I found was that the wires going to the controller were incorrect. So the first thing is to check that the wires are attached to the proper + and - psts on the controller and the connections are tight on the wire (not the sheath). The panels use the left two connections, and the battery uses the center two. After verifying connections were correct. I swapped the original controller with one that uCamp warranty shipped to me because their assessment at that point was a bad controller. Voila-solar charging. That having been said there is a third item that I have read that some people found to be their problem and that was that the leads from the solar panels on the roof were swiched at the point they plug into the shroud that takes the wires down to the controller. When working properly if the battery is not 100% and there is sufficient sun you should see the arrows or dashes going from the solar panel icon to the battery. Please keep us updated on what you may find.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

@rjgors A question that might help shed light on what is happening with your controller: In the lower left hand corner on the controller display there should be an indicator that should read "12v". does this by chance display "24v" ?
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

@rjgors A question that might help shed light on what is happening with your controller: In the lower left hand corner on the controller display there should be an indicator that should read "12v". does this by chance display "24v" ?
    Thank you for all this information!! I’ve got some work to do. When we brought home the T@B last fall, I found the battery wires to the controller reversed as there was no power to it. But it appears I have other things to check. Stay tuned.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    Just checking back in. When our T@B is in direct sunlight, the controller shows that it is in night mode. I also notice the controller shows the battery half charged, which it’s not.

is there a way to change it to day mode to see if it makes a difference?
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
    edited July 2019
    @rjgors I believe that it shows "night mode" when the controller senses that it is not getting any input from the rooftop solar panels. The connections from the rooftop may be reversed. You could resolve this by switching the wires that come to the controller from the solar panels by putting the wire now connected to the negative terminal onto the positive terminal and the wire now connected to the positive terminal onto the negative terminal. See if that makes a difference and please post what you see as a result.
    But that doesn't resolve the issue of it showing your battery half charged...if your battery is charged then I suspect that the controller thinks you have a 24v of battery not 12v of battery. What does it show in the lower left on the display??
    Can you post a picture that shows a good view of the controller and where the wires going to the controller are coming from, and a second picture of the display when the cells are in sunlight?
    It is very possible that the controller is bad but worth checking the other things first. Also I will say now that if the controller is bad I would recommend a replacement with a mppt 75/15 by Victron. That is what I have now and have been extremely pleased with its performance.

Edit: This should be a warranty item if you are in a year from trailer purchase. Have you contacted the selling dealer about this?
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota