Options

Solar Controller Monitor Location

I find it odd that the solar controller monitor is mounted under the bed and very difficult to read from the rear drivers side hatch.  Of course I can lift the bed to read it; but again when the bed is made ( or someone is snoozing in it), that is awkward as well. Has anyone relocated the monitor up to an interior wall? If you have, is it a simple process of undoing the wires leading in and out and then rehooking them once you figure out how to fish wiring up,- I'm thinking of the closet?
Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
2019 T@B400 Rogue
2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I find it odd that the solar controller monitor is mounted under the bed and very difficult to read from the rear drivers side hatch.  Of course I can lift the bed to read it; but again when the bed is made ( or someone is snoozing in it), that is awkward as well. Has anyone relocated the monitor up to an interior wall? If you have, is it a simple process of undoing the wires leading in and out and then rehooking them once you figure out how to fish wiring up,- I'm thinking of the closet?
    You can download an app so that you can check it on your phone. I believe they are using Victron controllers, now. The ap is called Victron Connect and the bluetooth passcode is 000000.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Not an issue for me personally, but I agree with your assessment of the situation. I keep my controller in the tub and find that I look at it with relative frequency. It provides a lot of information about how the system functions under different conditions.
    In a perfect world it's best to have the controller close to the battery, but moving it should be as simple as just extending the leads the way you describe.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    i can't see it from the outside compartment and i hate having to remake the bed every time i lift it up-will check out that ap
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    The solar app works great and it provides very useful information about battery voltage, solar output and stage of charge or load if not charging.  My 2018 400 has factory solar with a different controller but the apps are similar.  I can check on the battery from outside trailer or in and never lift the bed.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options

Please find the attached instructions for the two apps.

2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    ToulaToula Member Posts: 26
    I have the 2019 T@B400 with factory solar but it has the RoHS controller. It doesn't seem to want to recognize the VictronApp. Instructions downloaded doesn't mention an app but it has the bluetooth symbol on the LCD readout. If anyone knows how to make this connect please adviseor is there another app for this brand?

Thanks,

Toula
    2019 T@B 400 -- 2017 Toyota Tundra
    South Louisiana
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I have the SR-HP2440-B PWM Solar Charge Controller (12/24v, 40 A) and the Solar Controller app in my last post works great with the controller. I use the app with and iPhone 8 and it is seamless.  
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Search Nansong zhang for the Solar app in the APP store. I installed on my iPhone 8 and iPad.  Once installed it really works well. The install was easy and it did*t require the password admistrator number. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Toula, the Victron App is specific to the Victron controller.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @Toula For an Android phone, try downloading the app named "Renogy BT" from the Google Play Store. That is working for me with my Andoid phone and the RoHS controller. Let us know if that works for you or not.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    ToulaToula Member Posts: 26
    @DenisP The Solar app you recommended works great ! Thank you very much!!

@PamandJohnUpNorth2 I am using the same Solar app on iPad and my Android now. If they act up I'll keep your recommendation as a backup. Thank you too!

Toula

2019 T@B 400 -- 2017 Toyota Tundra
    South Louisiana
  • Options
    You are welcome.  Enjoy your 400.  I love ours and enjoy towing with my Tundra.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    Hello there,
    I am a new T@B owner 2019 320-S, and I, too, have the RoHS controller.  I have been browsing this forum to learn all I can about my new T@B.  I recently downsized from a Layton bunkhouse model. 

I have tried both the Solar App and the Renology BT app, but neither app "sees" the controller.  The controller does have the BT symbol on the LCD screen.  I did try to connect at night with the battery turned on, but does the controller only transmit info when the solar panel is active?  Otherwise, I am at a loss to explain why I cannot connect with the controller via either of these apps.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    . . . have the RoHS controller. 
    RoHS is a manufacturing materials standard . . . it has no relationship to operation . . .
    RoHS - - - RoHS directive aims to restrict certain dangerous substances commonly used in electronic and electronic equipment.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Ah. Thank you for the clarification. Then the controller is manufactured by a Chinese concern called SRNE, if my internet research is correct. 
  • Options
    @DesertDweller I believe I have the same controller in my 2018 400 the controller is always getting power regardless of the position of the battery switch. however the range on the bluetooth is not real far. I have found I have to stand right next to, or inside, the trailer to connect to the Controller Bluetooth. I trust that you have checked your phone's settings to turn on bluetooth and enable bluetooth connections ? What type of phone do you have? What message do you get when the phone is nearby  the controller and in the app you select  the app, and select "Device info" and then select "Search Device" ?
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I was inside the trailer with the bench top removed and my phonebright next to the controller.  I tried two phones. An iPhone XR and an Android Moto phone. No joy with either. I did double check to make sure BT was enabled on both and both were not in airplane mode. I get no messages. I press search (I also tried “add device”) and nothing happens. I wait about 1 minute for a connection. I see the box that says “devices found” but it is always blank. No error messages or anything. I also changed the controller mode from debug to on to manual. All with the same results. It came from the dealer in debug mode. I am stumped. 
  • Options
    @Desertdweller I understand being stumped. Best I know there is not a setting that turns bluetooth off/on at the controller itself. Maybe another forum member has another idea but my best guess is a problem with the controller's bluetooth component.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

• Options
    Hmmm. Could be. I have a few questions for NuCamp anyway, so I will add this as well. Thanks for your help and the manual. 
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Might want to check that your model has the Bluetooth logo on it. Our December build 2019 came with a Bluetooth enabled Victron MPPT 75-15 and when researching the unit, I found there is a model with Bluetooth enabled and one that can accept a Bluetooth dongle.   That said, there is nothing on the controller we have that would give any meaningful information but the smartphone APP provides a wealth of useful information.   My phone wouldn’t read it at first but after turning BT on and off, it popped right up.  
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    @DesertDweller, I frequently have trouble getting a Bluetooth connection with my Victron controller using a dongle.  Delete the app, then reboot the phone and reinstall the app.  For me, it just takes multiple attempts, then it pops up.

• Options
    I will give it a try. Can you describe what you mean by dongle?  Is it something attached to the controller and if so where?  Or, is it attached to the phone?  My controller does not say BT anywhere on the housing. The only way I knew about it at first was by noticing the BT symbol displayed on the LCD screen. I then researched it on this forum and found this discussion among others. 
  • Options
    Awca12a said:
    Might want to check that your model has the Bluetooth logo on it. Our December build 2019 came with a Bluetooth enabled Victron MPPT 75-15 and when researching the unit, I found there is a model with Bluetooth enabled and one that can accept a Bluetooth dongle.   That said, there is nothing on the controller we have that would give any meaningful information but the smartphone APP provides a wealth of useful information.   My phone wouldn’t read it at first but after turning BT on and off, it popped right up.  
    Mine is a July 2018 build. Might be an early 2019 model. The controller is under the driver side storage with the fuse box. It has the LCD screen with all the info. But like PJ400 said in his OP, it is weird that they would put it under the seat. My solar panel is also towards the rear slope of the trailer not the front as I have seen. 
  • Options
    Our dongle is a small transmitter that detects the BT signal.  It is wired directly into the back of our Victron display.  The factory installed ours in a cabinet directly over our display.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. The Amazon link below is to the unit that I have. The description says it is already BT enabled without a dongle and the BT symbol on the LCD screen suggests this is the case. I am now leaning toward Pam&John’s notion that the BT transmit component might be bad. I have e-mailed NuCamp (my dealer did not even mention the controller to me or show me the location) and will report back any response. Thanks everyone for all your help. This is a very supportive community!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07462YXWR/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

• Options
    digitaldeandigitaldean Member Posts: 16
    We just bought a 2018 TAB 320s, is this applicable to our unit or just a 400 thing?

Adventure Canadian Style

2018 Tab320s Boondock Edition, 2018 Toyota Forerunner TRD
  • Options
    I have the 320 S also and the pictured controller is what I have. Do you have the factory solar package?
  • Options
    I have a March 2018 400 with factory solar.  The controller is pictured and the app is linked which works with my iPhone 8+.  As noted above the BT isn't really strong but is available in the T@B and immediately outside.  If the controller is the same as yours give the App a try.  Take care.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Thank you.  This is the app I have tried, but no joy.  I have put the phone right next to the controller.  I am going to try it later this week with my old iPhone 5s just to see if that makes any difference.  I am beginning to believe the BT transmitter in the controller may be defective.  But I have an e-mail in to NuCamp, so we shall see what they say.  
  • Options
    I am sure they can help. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts