AAA or other roadside assistance

melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
I'll be traveling solo and want to get good roadside assistance. My car insurance covers the car but not the T@B. AAA quoted $135/year for auto plus trailer. AAA also says that if I use my car insurance, the cost of my insurance will go up next year. Is there a better deal out there for roadside assistance? 
2017 Tab 320 S
2014 Mazda CX 5
Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @melpeter do a search here because there have been lengthy discussions with good info shared. If I remember correctly some have said that AAA coverage varies by region and that some parts of the country/regions don’t offer the full services you’ve paid for and think you have. I haven’t researched this further as I have towing for car and trailer on my American Family insurance. Another thing you want to check is if your TV needs to be towed that they will also move your Tab. Again, others have posted that the car was towed but trailer left behind on the side of the road. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Good Sam Roadside Assistance Std is $79.  Seems to cover more.  We weren't sure if we needed Platinum to get towing of trailer and car, but our non-lawyer reading of the Standard plan is no (car to closest repair place, trailer to closest camping spot / RV park).  Would welcome more experienced AAA vs. Good Sam folks to tell us we're wrong.  This has been discussed before on the forums though... 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We ended up getting AAA coverage for the car and Roadside assist as part of our Progressive RV policy.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Everyone  -  we have AAA. Your coverage depends on the amenities offered in your state of residence. In Michigan, services cover the towing of both TV and trailer. For those of you familiar with our "STRANDED" incident October/ November 2018, either Wyoming or Utah did not (forget which). The AAA agreement is considered reciprocal to all states. Since we have home coverage to tow both in Michigan, even if the local state does not, the local state is required provide the services the home state does. That means when we broke down in the mountain pass in Utah, 2 trucks were dispatched. 1 to tow the t@b and 1 to tow our Envoy. AAA even made sure we were towed to a repair shop that did both engine and trans work because we weren't sure which had failed in the truck. In our case one truck came from Utah and one truck came from Wyoming. We were able to utilize only one truck for both as they put the Envoy on a rollback and hitched up the t@b behind because we have the Prodigy rf controller. Plugged it into the 12v port of the tow truck and we were good to go. We have the membership called "Plus RV". Was great. Never had to leave either vehicle. Would have towed us greater distance if we required other specialized service, like approved repair for the trailer. The AAA service was there within the hour in spite of our remote location and they did search for an accredited auto repair. While the rest of the 16 day ordeal was unnerving, AAA was superb. They called for the next 48 hrs to check on us. 
    P.S. we still marvel at the size of that sheep!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @dragonsdofly thanks for sharing this info! I knew someone would know the answers! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    edited February 2019
    Thanks everyone. I did a search on this forum and got a LOT of info. My head is spinning but eventually I’ll do the homework and figure out which insurance to buy. I was only thinking of flat tires. It had never occurred to me to worry about thieves or falling trees. 
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I won't re-hash what you have probably already learned about AAA coverage (we have the Premier coverage in Arizona, which provides towing up to 200 miles 1x per year, including an RV; up to 100 miles for 3 remaining incidents in a year.)  However, I wanted to mention something I recently learned from my Allstate agent about RV collision coverage.  While other insurance companies may have a different provision, my agent advised that collision coverage for my T@B is only in effect while the camper is attached to my tow vehicle.  Therefore, she advised pulling off the highway as far as practical and safe, and not to unhitch the camper if at all feasible while disabled along a roadway.  In light of the forum discussions regarding the "three-point" jacking (for tire changes) of the 320, this info was of particular interest to me.   Something worth asking your insurance agent about.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Interesting. What if you unhitched the ball but left the chains hooked up. Does that count?
    2015 T@B S
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Don't know..........but you might have a loophole there.  If I recall correctly, my agent used the word "attached" (as opposed to "hitched") to the tow vehicle.  I guess I need to get out the policy and read the fine print.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Regarding the issue of RV collision insurance.  The reason we have a specific RV policy with Progressive as opposed to covering our TaB via our auto insurer (State Farm) is because we are covered while in storage or at a campground when we are not attached to our TV.  Our contents are also covered when not attached, whereas, they are not covered via our auto policy unless attached.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I asked my agent about the hooked vs unhooked. I used the example of what happens if trailer comes unhooked and is involved in accident? Gray area as the moment of impact it was hooked. I have full everything on trailer, but the TV liability is first in line if an incident happens while towing.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My T@B contents are covered under my same State Farm renters insurance that covers the contents of the storage garages (I sold my house and now am full timing). The T@B is covered under a separate policy, as is the truck, all from State Farm. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jhansardjhansard Member Posts: 9
    I’m probably over insured, but have Good Sam Roadside Assistance, Travel Assist, and my car insurance company.  Have heard some unpleasant stories and it’s really not terribly expensive.
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I use Coach-Net.  It’s pretty comprehensive.  https://coach-net.com/.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax