Securing a TAB with provenlock?

Anyone use a proven coupler lock from Proven Industries?

Comments

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    We used a Proven lock on our 400. It fits well and captures the safety chains and is very substantial.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • ajheilajheil Member Posts: 5
    Do you use a wheel lock too or just the coupler lock.  Just bought a TAB320 and we will be storing it in a gated lot.  Want it to be safe there and when we are on trips.
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I use a heavy cable (15 ft) and padlock which is locking both wheels. The idea is to slow someone down and to look elsewhere. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I use the Proven Industries lock.  It is very secure.  Love it!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Glider11Glider11 Member Posts: 73
    I just purchased a Brahma wheel lock for my T@B 320s, for $277 which includes shipping.  They have an application video, and a pdf hard copy.   After much discussion, I think this is one of the most fail safe options.  Check out their site. brahmalocks.com 
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Glider11 agreed, so much so that I combined my less capable wheel lock and Proven Industries hitch lock budgets into the Brahma budget. Just using a run of the mill lock though the coupler latch since I have the Brahma. If you think the Proven Industries lock is a beast, wait till you heft that Brahma!

Nothing is 100%, but without dragging the trailer or using a torch, I feel fairly confident the trailer won't be moving.

The problem with a hitch lock is the trailer can be moved easily.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    I add that the new Proven Industries 2178-A hitch Lock has a compartment to lock up most of the length of the safety chains and hooks. This means your trailer safety chain hooks can't be used to move the trailer. 

I chose both the Proven Industries hitch lock and the Brahma WL 001 wheel lock for 15'-17" by 235 tires, with shallow dish for aluminum wheels. We will be boondocking in remote locations on BLM land and leaving the T@B 320 Boondock unattended. We also did the power tongue jack mod to remove the tongue jack handle. Just one more deterrent.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Tab_400Tab_400 Member Posts: 2
    With the proven industries lock you'll need a small coupler lock as the PI lock covers the entire coupler. The fact that it covers the entire coupler might make the additional lock redundant, but better safe than sorry.
  • Glider11Glider11 Member Posts: 73
    I returned the Brahma wheel lock.  As a solo, it is too heavy and awkward.  I worked for 2 hours trying to attach it. Removed the fender because concerned the device would dent it. Still no luck.  Lost $50 in initial shipping fees and their return "restocking fee" of $25.  Very disappointed that their ad doesn't discuss the cons. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    ajheil said:
    Anyone use a proven coupler lock from Proven Industries?
    Switched to a Proven Lock just a week or so ago.  Also use a Trimax wheel lock/chock.
    Agree all locks just slow bad guys down and if they really want it they will find a way to take it - - - also know a simple hammer & crowbar could have defeated my old set-up, not so with a Proven.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Glider11 does any ad discuss why you wouldn't want to buy their product?

I bought the Brahma for my new 400 BD. It is a tight fit, but on very quickly, getting off is a bit more of a puzzle, but now that I see how it works I think it will be quick on off. It is easier if you sit down and put it on/off.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • NinabeanNinabean Member Posts: 68
    I am very interested in purchasing the Provenlock for my T@b 400.  Can anyone tell me the specific model number you got for the 400?
    2019 T@b 400 “Hazel”   Towed with a 2013 Ford F-150 STX  4X4 SuperCab 5.0L
    table mod
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    RangerTom said:

Guess I am confused as to why anyone would install a small coupler lock since you are correct in saying the PI lock covers the entire coupler.  So there is no access to the coupler unless the thief is able to remove the PI lock.  If he succeeds at that I find it hard to imagine that a coupler lock would present a problem for him.

I can’t see trying to have them both installed at once, but you might want a small one for stops while in transit. It’s been known for trailers to be stolen from a parking lot while the owners are having dinner at a restaurant, for example, or just for jerks to pop the hitch open while you’re stopped.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    There is a definite learning curve to the Brahma.  When we first received ours, we tried putting it on the driver’s side and it would not go.  Found out it is supposed to be put on the passenger side.  That worked!  Turns out you can put it on the driver’s side if you jack up the wheel.  My husband and I can both manage the lock now, but it took some practice.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio