Options

Beautiful but Overwhelming

CJvagabondCJvagabond Member Posts: 38
Just bought my first RV ever a couple weeks ago. TAB 2019 320 S. Being it is still Winter it's just been in the driveway. I had a walk through and bit of orienting before pulling the little thing home 140 miles. (first time as well)
I'm hoping to de-winterize and try her out end of month where I can hook up and test all the systems.  I've been plugged up to the house but only have the Alde on low (1 amp - electric only) to keep the battery charged. Haven't tried the fridge or anything else. (but Jensen and TV). I've been researching different topics on here and realize how much I don't know.  Not being a mechanic or ever owning an RV before. 
I'll be visiting here often because it looks like there is tons of great information to be found. It's pretty overwhelming. I don't want to mess anything up. 
Sure look forward to camping! Big step up from tenting. lol

2022 F-150 STX. SE PA and beyond...Christine

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Welcome to the forum @CJvagabond!  There is a steep learning curve, but the forum will help a lot.  Make sure you read the reference areas under the User Manual category.  That will get you started.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you Sharon! I'll do that. Glad to be here.   :) I've been saving many of the files. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome to the forum @CJvagabond! There’s a “first” for every human experience and you’ve already towed 140 miles! Congratulations, have fun learning about your T@B and meeting all of the helpful members of this forum!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thank you! I'm very excited and ready to learn. Thankful for the help.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Our T@B was our first RV too. My best advice is, don’t try to learn it all at once. You can camp very minimally at first without dewinterizing or using the plumbing or tanks or the stereo/tv. You’ve learned to tow, and hook up the electric, and use the Alde to keep warm, that’s a very good start!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Welcome to the Tab family @CJvagabond! My 2017 320S is my first trailer, too, first towing experience, but long time camper. The first year can be very confusing, but you’ve got a lot of support behind you here! What part of the country are you in? Maybe there’s a Tabber close by who can help answer questions in person. That’s how we started our SpoTab breakfast group.  Some things that helped me the first year are keeping a small notebook and pen in your Tab. When you think of something you need or want write it down. Read each manual or at least scan them so you know where to look if you need to, one for each system in the Tab by each manufacturer. Ask lots of questions here...none are too basic to ask! Driveway camp and try running everything, try every outlet. Start an Amazon wish list to keep track of all the gadgts, pieces and parts you want to remember. That way all the info you run across is in one spot. My personal theory about and mistakes, goof ups etc is that today’s error is tomorrow’s campfire story, and we’ve all got them! Enjoy your journey! :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @CJvagabond, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer! Start with small steps. Almost everything is intuitive. Relax. Enjoy. And, adventure. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks so much! This is definitely going to be fun. B)
    I am in SE PA right now @Homebodyatheart . Hope to be heading West in Spring. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the inspiration @Arwen. Sounds like you've had a great time. :) I am more than a bit nervous. Mostly about learning the mechanics of it. Driving it back wasn't bad and I kept forgetting it was behind me. Except for not being able to see out the back. Took a few tries but backed it in without disaster. lol 
    They are so compact and adorable. Everything you need. Looking forward to being a part of this all and very impressed with this group right from the start. 

• Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    I spent a fair amount of time with our T@B plugged in in our driveway going through all the manuals. It was a big help. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    @Gibw  THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @CJvagabond congratulations on driving 140 miles home! Last year was my newby year and it took several months before I drove more than that. 

I had five months of it parked in my garage over winter before I took it out, so spent that time studying all the manuals, reading everything here (and having panic attacks...you don't know what you don't know until you start reading this forum)! 

I printed the manual from the USB fob thing. You can use the search function here, like for winterization/de-winterization. I printed the diagram for how the plumbing valves should look and keep it handy, because it's confusing.

Is your battery switch still turned on (next to the battery in the tub)? That will ensure you are charging the battery when it's plugged in.

Good luck and have fun!

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Thank you @dsfdogs. Now beginning to realize I'm not the only one who felt nervous and panicky about the workings. I've waited for a trailer for so many years and finally splurged. You don't want to do any damage. TAB 101 for Dummies is what I felt I'd need after starting to go through the manuals. lol I'm usually pretty good mechanically but it's always helpful to watch how something is done the first time. I do have the battery switch ON. I upgraded to the AGM battery. I'll make up a file of info I've found already on here to keep handy. :)
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @CJvagabond-- since you are in winter cold part of the country-- realize that if you dewinterize & put water through your system the water lines that run under the trailer & toilet connection can freeze & break water lines?  We are a few months from dewinterizing here in Colorado-- this forum is a great resource to learn these things!  Most people dry camp-- meaning no water in the system in cold state s in winter-- keep learning & have fun!  You will get there!

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    And good job towing 140 miles your first tow with no mishaps!!

Woohoo!
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We had hoped to get our T@B in time to check it out and do some driveway camping before a planned Memorial Day trip to a campground 3 1/2 hours from home. Alas, the trailer came in and we picked it up on Wednesday. And then my husband had to work that weekend and couldn’t go. So I was torn - should I go by myself, should I cancel, or should I take a tent? I did practice hitching a few times in the driveway and decided to just go for it. Of course I did a very bad job of backing in to my campsite but conscripted a passing teenager to help me manhandle the trailer into place using the corner handles. I hooked up the electric but not the water, cooked on a Coleman stove, and used campground facilities. Figured all the other stuff out later. It all worked out, and it will for you too!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Many thanks! What a supportive group.
    I am hoping to make a trip to the ocean in DE. The campground will be empty. I may be the only one there and they have pull through sites so I'll be getting off easy...;) Showing rain end of month but camping in the rain won't be so bad as towing in the rain. Wondering if I should get some of those strap on mirror extenders?
    I've got a 30 to 50 amp adapter on the way. I may wait to de-winterize until after? Just use the electric and try the gas. I'll probably still use my JetBoil. 
    I think what makes me most nervous is pulling into gas stations. Very crowded around here.
  • Options
    @CJvagabond, regarding the gas stations, we travel on the interstates a lot and Loves and Pilot Flying J type stations have great entries and a lot of space.  Not to mention pretty spotless facilities inside with everything a traveler needs.
  • Options
    I am familiar with those large travel stations along interstates. They are great when driving cross country. I'm a bit concerned with the smaller local ones I'll pass going down towards the ocean 2+ hours away. They are more often pretty crowded and I'm hoping I wouldn't need to deploy maneuvering skills on the spot. I found it easy towing it along the roads but made no stops bringing it back. 
    I've only backed it up once. I need to practice more when I have it out. :)

• Options
    @CJvagabond-- the extension mirrors are great to see further down the side of the trailer & out to the lanes next to you-- don't get the strap on ones, get the ones that have the clips that screw down on to your vehicle mirror casing.  I found mine on Amazon--Milenco-Grand Tour Towing Mirrors-- the rectangular shaped ones are better than the teardrop shaped ones.  Re the gas stations-- look before you pull in to see if you have an out go slow--- remember to swing out a little before pulling your vehicle up to the pump so your rear end doesn't clip the pump -- same as you do before turning a tight corner-- watch your mirrors going in& pulling away from the pump--go slow don't let others in the pump area rush you-- the gas stations have to get tankers in there to fill the tanks so there has to be room enough for your small trailer!  That's what I tell myself! It's ok to pass up a station that looks very tight & try the next one-- just don't let your self get too low on fuel
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Thanks @lkc001. I'll check into those on Amazon. Even one for my side would be a help to start. I'm hoping that for the most part too many people aren't heading to the beach in March. lol. Most of the traffic will be the towns along the way. I'll probably eventually get a gas container. (I've become so used to driving around out West and in remote areas) 
    I did watch a video someone shared on here about "The Scoop". I'm going to try that technique for backing. 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    If you can make it to the beach on one tank of gas, then fill up while at home and again once at camp without the trailer attached. "The Scoop" video was from Long Long Honeymoon. I also learned a lot from Mark Polk on RV Education 101 and the blog/podcast Girlcamper w/Janine Petit (she also has a facebook group if you are on FB). Mark Polk has a video about turning left and right and "tail swing" and "pivot point", which comes in handy at gas stations. I think it was a Long Long Honeymoon video they said to try and find a gas station in which the pump islands are parallel to the road rather than perpendicular. I really can't say enough good things about the Girlcamper podcast. I started at #1 and did a lot of listening! :)
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Thanks for the much needed info and support! :) Much appreciated.
    I've subscribed to Mark Polk on RV Ed 101 and will check out Girlcamper too.
    I've still got so many questions after reading posts here. One thing leads to another.
    I realized I should know just what they did at the dealer too. Re: Wiring and Alde winterizing. I watched the Nucamp winterizing video but didn't notice that they put anti-freeze into the Alde? I'm thinking the dealer did or I wouldn't be able to use it? I think they said it has anti-freeze in it. (must add another step to winterizing?)
    Also saw mentioned that someone's TV battery drained, so I need to be sure that the wiring to the battery goes off when I turn my truck off? Geez.
  • Options
    @CJvagabond, the yellow glycol that is in the Alde for circulating to heat the cabin is an antifreeze, but not the antifreeze used for winterizing (pink - non-toxic).  The Alde glycol requires topping off via the reservoir behind a wood panel on the driver side rear.  It is recommended to change out the glycol about every 2 years.  The water chamber of the Alde can receive the pink winterizing antifreeze, but is not required and must be able to tolerate the Alde heat (if you winter camp and heat your cabin).  

So, for most of us, “winterizing”  means draining the Alde water tank and the TaB plumbing, blowing out the plumbing lines then adding the pink antifreeze to the sink and shower traps and toilet.  Some folks like to winterize by running the pink antifreeze through the plumbing lines and the Alde water chamber, but if you do a good job with draining and blowing, it is not required.
    As you can see, “winterizing” is not a specific term.  Are your valves in “camping” mode or in the “winterized” mode?

Regarding your charge line from the TV battery, if it is still active when your ignition is off, if parking for an extended period of time while towing, just turn your battery switch to “off” and that will prevent the draw down of your TV and TaB battery.  Just remember to turn it back to “on” before you drive away to keep up the charge on your TaB battery and to power your break-away brakes, as they depend on your TaB battery.

• Options
    Thank you very much @Sharon_is_SAM. I'm not sure what mode the valves are in? I understand how little I knew before picking up the new TAB. Very grateful for the support and help here. I've written to the dealer with questions since bringing it home. The last list I had asking about some of these things, I've not gotten an answer to yet.
    I had just wondered about something the service tech said when I was at the dealer....about shutting off the battery switch after 2 or 3 hours driving? I think it was in reference to the fridge being on Battery while driving? But I'm not sure.
    I had no idea where the Glycol was or if I should do anything. I guess it is OK for approx. 2 years from now? I was looking for the reservoir under the cushion near the Alde.
    I've taken your advise and saved almost everything from Manuals...Resources into a folder on my Desktop. Really appreciate the help. :)
    I'm also making a list of what I need first, to keep it safe. Thanks again!  :)

• Options
    Here is how to get to your glycol (expansion) reservoir/tank.  You should check it from time to time and keep the glycol filled to just above the minimum line.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6085/how-to-get-to-glycol-expansion-tank

Regarding running the frig on DC while towing, the frig draws 11 amps/hr and most folks find that that it depletes the TaB battery as their alternator can not feed enough voltage back to the TaB battery.  Some creative members have wired up an inverter to run the frig while towing.  Some members just put frozen bottles of water in the frig after pre-cooling on AC then leave the frig turned off while towing, while others run the frig on LPG while towing which is not necessarily the safest thing to do.  

If you do tow with the frig on DC, you must turn your battery switch off when you park the TV/TaB combo.  That will effectively isolate your TaB battery and prevent depletion of your TaB and TV battery.  Turning off the battery switch will also turn off your frig.  I just remembered, some members will turn the frig off intermittently while towing to balance depleting the battery vs keeping the frig cold.

• Options
    Oh wow. I understand now. I'm not going to be very concerned about the Fridge. I have a good coolers.  So, I'd keep what I wanted in there until I hooked up somewhere. (If, I hook up. Will probably dry camp a lot) Now I see why people wanted inverters too. That was a future question. Thank you!
  • Options
    If you dry camp, you can run your frig on LPG at camp.  Either way, if you intend to use the frig at all, towing it with ice in the frig will pre-cool it.

The inverters are typically used to run non-DC appliances such as coffee pots. hair dryers, toasters, laptops, etc.  Upregulates your DC power in your battery to be able to run your AC devices.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Thank you Sharon! I'll do that. Glad to be here.   :) I've been saving many of the files. 
     Yes... Saving is good.  I've printed out a lot of stuff over the years for sure.  Just find out what you absolutely have to have, then the early things just to get you started.  Camping in your unit will tell you a lot.  I think most people here started by spending a night or two in the driveway.  Even if you are not set for using the bathroom etc, you will get a feel for things.  Also, there is a great full featured bathroom facility right nearby...

This is probably not a worry anymore with the newer ones, but I didn't know that the battery had to shutoff (you have a switch, I didn't) and thus, my battery went dead..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI