trailer dolly question

Hi everyone, I have a 2018 Tab 320S and can back it up without trouble, but need to get it into a tiny urban backyard via narrow driveway and gate then make 90degree turn to park it.   No room for the tow vehicle, so looking at trailer dollies.  Does anyone have any experience with either manual or motorized that work well for someone with some concerns about back strain?

thanks for your help!
northwestinatab

Comments

• northwestinatabnorthwestinatab Member Posts: 22
    Thank you!  Very helpful suggestions there.
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    http://www.proud-canadian.com/diy-power-trailer-dolly/  see if you can pull this up for the DYI people

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    www.purplelineusa.com

Best thing I ever installed on my T@B
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    hi again, thought I'd post an update on my search for a dolly to move my Tab into my sister's urban backyard where the TV simply won't have room to maneuver.  After reviewing the thread pthomas745 posted, and looking at lots of reviews and videos online, I purchased a Rack'em Trailer Dolly, RA20, from Etrailer and assembled it fairly easily.  Unfortunately, when I took it to the state park to try it out, I discovered that I had to really struggle to move the trailer at all, i.e., getting it to budge even with the tires on the dolly fully inflated required that I lean my full body strength into it.  Once I did get it moving, I found that I could not control its momentum and only the wooden barriers at the edge of the parking lot prevented my Tab from running away into the woods.  :-(  This dolly cost $178, so wasn't the cheapest of the manual models out there, but clearly I am going to have to go with a powered version if I want to get the Tab into my sister's backyard spot.  Although the purpleline looks wonderful, I'm not able to spend quite that much, so will be looking at the trailer valet, power dolly and power caster to see if any of these will work any better for me.  Thanks to all for suggestions and any further ideas or thoughts welcome of course!
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I am in a similar situation and was considering the same unit - now I'm not so sure. Do you think it would be manageable on a fairly level concrete surface?
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    There is another powered trailer dolly called the Parkit 360---I would not even bother trying that "trailer valet" because you have to arm crank that thing to get it to move and unless you can crank it fast enough it won't move--I see that as being as hard to use as a regular push dolly if you are going over anything but straight level concrete.  I can't figure out how some people here say it's so easy to move.  The 320 still weighs 1670 dry.  It can be spun around on level concrete quite easily, but moving it on grass or loose gravel?  I'm not young anymore, but I'm not a wimp either.. . ...  YMMV   You need a couple young guys to power it into the backyard :)
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
    Some people have also used a lawn tractor, but you have to have a tow ball on the tractor and have room to maneuver  that around as well while hooked up to the trailer
    Woohoo!
    @Mouseketab--how long have you had that unit on your trailer?  Do you have a 400 or 320?  Have you had to move your trailer around on grass or loose gravel?  Would love to have more info on this please!  Thank you
    Woohoo!
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    My ex and I used a manual dolly with a TrailManor trailer when my body was some 20 years younger and stronger, and it still worked best with two of us to manuever. No way would I try that now and solo. I’m scrimping and saving and selling things off and cutting options/budgets elsewhere so I can have the Purpleline installed on the T@b next month before I bring it home.

I consider it a necessity in my case, as I'm solo, disabled, and I will be parking in a spot tricky enough to drive a car headfirst into...let alone back a trailer in there. In my situation, it will pay for itself within a year, given the cost of offsite storage in my area.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    hi again, thought I'd post an update on my search for a dolly to move my Tab into my sister's urban backyard where the TV simply won't have room to maneuver.  After reviewing the thread pthomas745 posted, and looking at lots of reviews and videos online, I purchased a Rack'em Trailer Dolly, RA20, from Etrailer and assembled it fairly easily.  Unfortunately, when I took it to the state park to try it out, I discovered that I had to really struggle to move the trailer at all, i.e., getting it to budge even with the tires on the dolly fully inflated required that I lean my full body strength into it.  Once I did get it moving, I found that I could not control its momentum and only the wooden barriers at the edge of the parking lot prevented my Tab from running away into the woods.  :-(  This dolly cost $178, so wasn't the cheapest of the manual models out there, but clearly I am going to have to go with a powered version if I want to get the Tab into my sister's backyard spot.  Although the purpleline looks wonderful, I'm not able to spend quite that much, so will be looking at the trailer valet, power dolly and power caster to see if any of these will work any better for me.  Thanks to all for suggestions and any further ideas or thoughts welcome of course!
    I haven't used that kind of dolly to move my T@B, but I used to use one like it to move a 1400# boat trailer.
    I always had at least 2 people (one to steer with the dolly and one to push). I also laid a 2x4 across my parking space to keep it from getting away. Is there any chance you can get someone to help you when you're trying to get it in and out of your spot? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    To everyone involved in this discussion: There are days when our boys (grand nephews now 12 &13, but soon to be 13 & 14), have caused us to consider moving to a remote island, with no forwarding address, but then there are the days they push the t@b (320S) into the back yard, uphill and loaded. Those are the days I most fondly remember, and look forward to. Yes, @lkc001, I wholeheartedly aggee.
    Btw, there is a thread here regarding a DIY, power trailer dolly, I think using a battery powered drill as the motor source. Looked doable. You might want to give that thread a read through. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The powered movers are a must if anything except level smooth concrete. Our SAR unit has a https://parkit360.ca/ I have been trained on and it has some nice features, BUT sharp turns may be an issue due to the jack post. It hooks to the hitch ball socket. Nice features is it is powered, it has a plug for your trailer pigtail and powers the brakes automatically when you aren't moving so trailer has brakes applied if you aren't moving and it is all self contained, no permanent attachment.

IMO, the manually dollies are only good for very light trailers on smooth level surfaces and they have zero safety braking so could be dangerous if not on a flat level surface.

There really is no simple inexpensive way to move even a 320, let alone a 400 safely (at least without a ton of people), unfortunately all the powered movers are a chuck of change.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Parkit 360, works great, even on grass
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
    @BigGrover and gravel too. It is a bit big and heavy. I think the Pupleline powered movers are a bit more elegant, but also a bit more vulnerable to damage being exposed all the time to road debris and weather. They also depend on the tongue wheel as the 3rd point of contact and I suspect have some issues in soft ground or gravel without a serious wheel/tire upgrade on the tongue  jack. Much more likely to use the Pupleline while at a camp site than the ParkIt too unless you have lots of room to haul it. Trade offs as usual with most things, just have to decide what you need.
  • CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 123
    We have the Trailer Valet and find it very easy to use. It has two gear levels so you can set it to go very slowly and take many turns of the crank to go a short distance(very nice for steeper areas). It is very easy to manuver. Cranking is not difficult but can be tedious if you have far to go.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
    Hi again everyone, great to have all these thoughts!  I think I will do a little more research and try the Trailer Valet with the power drill adapter and see how that works on a flat.  the state park had a paved parking lot with a slight incline but i had the trailer on a flat to get it going.  I could barely budge it, and when i did get it moving and turning, it just kept going.  the backyard has a level concrete pad and drive, so that's good.  Looking for something i can use by myself because i want to be able to come and go without worrying about getting someone to help me move every time -- trying not to be a pain so my sister wants me back next summer!  will keep you posted on how next option works out.
    N7SHG_Ham said:
     Much more likely to use the Pupleline while at a camp site than the ParkIt too unless you have lots of room to haul it. Trade offs as usual with most things, just have to decide what you need.
    This is my issue with the ParkIt 360 and its clones. No easy way to haul it around with me, so it’s a unitasker that can only be used for parking at home. The potential damage issue with the Purpleline is definitely concerning, but barring that, it seems like it will get a lot more use than the detached motorized dollys would. And I don’t have to find a place to store the dolly when not needed.

Yay for options, though!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP yeppers, I think the Parkit style is more when you may need to move multiple trailers around storage or in/out of a shop, etc., only one to buy that works with multiple trailers whereas Purpleline is more individual usage and in lots of respects easier to move a trailer with just that remote control in hand where you can be walking around checking on things.
    Hi everyone,

Last update (I hope!).  Got the trailer valet after several email sessions with their customer service.  They were very helpful and ultimately I chose to buy the 5X which attaches to the tongue (not the ball).  It came fully assembled and the mounting hardware is very easy to install as well.  The unit itself is heavy, so I have to be careful how I move it (weighs about 50 lbs), but it works very easily on level concrete.  I have not (and likely will not ever) try it on gravel or grass.  On concrete though, it cranks easily by hand and the brake works wonderfully to stop it from moving even when rolling down a slight incline.  I did not end up needing to use the drill adapter I bought, but may at some point.  You do have to maintain a bent-over position as it is pretty short, and is indeed tedious if have to go far, but it works.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    @Mouseketab--How long have you had that one your trailer?  After using it for awhile, how are you liking it?  Any troubles with it?  Does it move the trailer even on grass & gravel?  Where did you take your trailer to have it installed?  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
    Woohoo!
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I know this will depend on TV and parts availability, but have any of you consider a front tow hitch on their TV.  This alow for precise handling of any trailer since the turning wheels are right at the trailer hitch or close, and you know where the trailer is going.  Can be use in many tight space, home or camp ground.

just an possible option on some TV.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    lkc001 said:
    @Mouseketab--How long have you had that one your trailer?  After using it for awhile, how are you liking it?  Any troubles with it?  Does it move the trailer even on grass & gravel?  Where did you take your trailer to have it installed?  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
    @lkc001 If you haven’t seen it, here’s a video of the installed Purpleline Enduro moving a T@da while on gravel: https://youtu.be/4t7sAFxnY7s 

Not sure about grass, but the testimonials from @Mouseketab and other users, plus Yannis’ video above were what convinced me that this made sense for my situation. My dealer ultimately decided they couldn’t do the install, and subbed it out to a third party customizer who was pretty pleased with the manuverability when I talked with him yesterday after he’d finished it. Another local non-T@b dealer *does* do installs, so it’s worth dropping Purpleline an email to find an installer in your area. @Mouseketab did her install herself with some help, I think. I’m finally picking up my T@b this week, I’m really looking forward to seeing how this handles in person.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Were there some other videos here & other testimonials about this trailer mover?  I'm not finding much of either reviews or videos?

Woohoo!
    A few people here have listed it under the various “favorite mod you’ve done” threads, and a few over on Facebook. I haven’t seen a more detailed video than Yannis’ and the Purpleline promo videos (all of which are with far bigger trailers). I actually just got back from testing mine at the dealer, and am very pleased so far. Easy to lock into position, easy to move around. Not exactly fast by any stretch, but it’s clearly going to work very well for my needs. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP   There are very few reviews and/or videos that I have found, most of the videos are years old, so I am always wary of equipment that has few reviews & not a lot of videos that are recent.   I would be very interested for you to come back and report on your thoughts on this equipment once you have had a chance to use it, please.   I hope that @Mouseketab will also come back and report on her experience since she has had this equipment for awhile.   Thanks!
    Woohoo!
    edited May 2019
    @lkc001 Will do. Company has been making these for me than a decade, but they’re a UK company and most of what’s on the web comes out of Australia. These types of permanent install motorized movers simply aren’t common here, while there are multiple brands of them available elsewhere in the world.

I looked at it another way...there’s little to no complaints I can find, and the little I did find mentioned that they were resolved by the company. My interaction with the US division with questions just as a prospective customer, and that of my installer with an atypical install both were positive. We’ll see how it goes over time.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    lkc001 said:
    Sorry I haven't answered. I've had mine on my trailer since Sept of 2014. I have moved the trailer on grass, inclines on grass, gravel, muddy chirt, inclines on gravel, and of course in my driveway. It has worked flawlessly every time. (I did have a small bit of trouble recently at the Blue Ridge Rally, but I think it's because my battery is at end of life.) My father and myself installed the unit ourselves, but I have a Dutchmen AL-Ko frame, so it was completely bolt on. We put the "computer" inside the camper near the battery, which is also inside the camper under the closet, so we did have to drill a hole in the bottom of the camper, but no frame drilling. It took us about 8 hours for install over two days, but that was mainly because we needed to purchase some steel, fabricate some spacers and go purchase some longer bolts. I spoke with the company when we discovered the need for spacers, and they were willing to ship me the parts, but I was going camping the next day, so we made our own. Also, I have had great relationship with Purpleline USA. One time when adjusting the movers after purchasing new tires, we broke a specialty pointed bolt. I contacted the company to purchase a replacement bolt, or to get the specs to replace it locally, and they sent me the new bolt free of charge.

Also, just a tip, they sometimes list open box units on ebay with a Make an Offer option. Offer them $100 less than what they are asking, they accepted the offer immediately. The unit arrived within 4 days of ordering.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    @Mouseketab Carol, if you don’t mind sharing, what does maintenance look like for the Purpleline? How often have you had to lubricate it and what product do you use to do that?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW