Size of propane tank?

I know I'm posting a ton of questions, but I'm a new to me Tab owner & there's so much to do, right?  haha!  Anyway--My 2017 Tab 320S only has a 5 lb propane tank in the plastic tub on the tongue.  The last owner did a couple of small mods to the unit including installing a permanent winterizing bypass valve on the pump which make it super easy to pump antifreeze from a gallon jug.   I'm wondering if she had a smaller propane tank installed?  I was expecting the normal 20 lb propane tank?   I don't even have a clue how long a 5 gal tank would last.  My experience with other trailers have always had a 20 lb tank and they have lasted quite some time over a summer of camping.  Would it be possible to put at least a 10 lb tank in the same spot and is a 5 lb and 10 lb propane tank the same circumfrence?  Where do you find additional 5 or 10 lb propane tanks?  I have never seen the smaller tanks at the places you can go to re-fill or to pickup/swap another tank.  Thanks! 
2018 Tab 400
2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,496
    I think 20lb is standard; she may have switched if she had limitations on lifting that much weight, or to lighten the tongue weight if she didn’t use much propane. Additional small tanks can be purchased empty at any camping or marine type store, and any propane dealer that fills tanks rather than swaps them should be able to purge and fill new tanks of any size for you. But assuming you don’t have issues with physically liting that much weight into the box, I’d just replace it with the standard size.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 603
    I've seen some posts in which people install a smaller propane tank to allow more storage and/or more battery capacity (2 batteries or a larger AGM). Maybe if you post a picture of inside the tub, we'd have a better guess.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,679
    I don't have a lot of experience with this, but certainly the 20# tanks are readily available for a swap or a fill, whereas, depending on where you frequent, you may not be able to fill or exchange the smaller tanks.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,538
    edited March 2019
    Any place that fills tanks should be able to fill a five or ten pound tank just as easily as they would fill a 20lb (or larger) tank.
    However, I do think you be hard pressed to exchange a tank of that size, as they are not nearly as common as the "standard" 20-pounders
    Did the original owner alter or remove the retaining ring designed to hold the 20lb tank?
    2015 T@B S

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 861
    @ScottG--I'm going to put in a call to the service tech at the dealership I purchased from to ask him that exact question--the lady that owned it before did some mods and she purchased and traded this unit from them and they did all her mods & warranty work.   I will also be looking at the retaining ring.  Thanks!
    2018 Tab 400
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
  • 51chevy51chevy Member Posts: 31
    Fleet Farm has a good selection including the 5. It’s not a cheap one though. I believe the 5 was like 80.00.