Options

Mixing Valve Blues

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
So now it is our turn to adjust our mixing valve.  Now that we have dried up the flood caused by adjusting the screw right out of the hole...we are back to the beginning.  I set it to what I think is the coldest setting (more "-").  My question is this - we do this to allow a nicer shower.  Should we not adjust this mixing setting when the Alde is set at "boost"?  That way we would be starting with the hottest water and step down from there.  What has everyone done?
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    We used a digital temp gun to set the mixer so the water temp going in was as close to the same as coming out. This way you get to use as much hot water as you need. Ours started to squirt too so I just screwed it 1 turn and called it good.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    RollingBnB:  Did you set the Alde to "boost" when you checked the temperature?
  • Options
    Ok, so we discovered that the Alde Bypass valve was open and allowing more cold water to mix in!  Just got a temperature of 110 on propane. On the boost mode on propane only, the temperature is 130.  That should be fine.  Will be camping tomorrow night and test the shower comfort then.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @SAM, Good catch on the 'ol by-pass valve! That's a "sneaky" one! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322

SAM said:

RollingBnB:  Did you set the Alde to "boost" when you checked the temperature?

No, got 137 w/o boost. At that temp can't run just hot at the sink.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    joyce3251joyce3251 Member Posts: 3
    I see this is a couple of years old, but I had the same problem with twisting the valve right out.  Now I can’t figure out how to get it back together! No diagrams of the inside of the mixing valve. We have tried a number of combinations and it’s not working.  Wondering if I missed a piece in the geyser that sprayed out at me.  It can be put back together right?
    2018 T@b 400 - 2018 Ford Explorer Ltd
  • Options
    Yes, it can be put back together, but, if you are struggling, then I wonder if a spring or something shot out with the water.  Does anyone have a picture?
  • Options
    Here’s what came out. The knob screws into the black piece but the other two pieces do not fit in any combination. Sticks out too far. Sorry this pic is so huge. 
  • Options
    Here is a diagram.  You don’t seem to have part #4, but this is the arrangement of how they should fit.

• Options
    So now I will go back and look for that part...thank you!
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    This forum is so awesome! 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    My thought exactly! 
    DougH said:
    This forum is so awesome! 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    The title of this topic sounds ripe for a talented guitar-playing songwriter to sing around the campfire at a T@B gathering.  Picturing lyrics about springs & water flying everywhere.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I'm curious if anyone has just removed the mixing valve. I suspect if I had a later model T@B that might be the first thing to meet the tubing cutter. After all, both the sink and the shower feature their own integrated mixing valves.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited May 2019
    BrianZ said:
    The title of this topic sounds ripe for a talented guitar-playing songwriter to sing around the campfire at a T@B gathering.  Picturing lyrics about springs & water flying everywhere.
    Was just think we need a parody of, "All the Single Ladies" for all of the solo women camper threads, lol...it could be followed by "Mixing Valve Blues."

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Well, that mixing valve seems to trip up every owner and it has occupied a large amount of real estate on the forum!  We need a poem outlining the typical “no hot water” “did you adjust your mixing valve” advice😜
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Well, that mixing valve seems to trip up every owner and it has occupied a large amount of real estate on the forum!  We need a poem outlining the typical “no hot water” “did you adjust your mixing valve” advice😜
    Seems fitting of a haiku.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Adjust mixing valve?
    How much should I turn the screw?
    Duck! Parts are flying!

• Options
    🤣
  • Options
    jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    Just bought a new 400. Playing with systems in my driveway. I cant seem to get the hot water to remain at a constant temp. with the tap on full hot I get hot, cold, hot, cold etc. Turned the mixing valve to max hot, same thing. Would the experienced please give me some direction. I have the boost checked on the system selector and the temp set to full, although it returns to half after about a half hour. Working with propane only, I plan to be at National Parks so no electricity for the most part so I need to get the propane only thing down.
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited May 2019
    Turn the little screw.
    Turn it back and curse the world.
    Break out the Sawzall.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited May 2019
    @jrslad, here's a topic related to your issue..
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/8784/hot-water-no-hot-water
    It also has link to an explanation & "how to" for adjusting mixing valve.

Here are some things that can affect water temp..
    Are your plumbing water valves set properly (no Alde bypass)?
    Is your cold water source very cold? (May need mixing valve adjustment)
    Are your Alde menu controls set appropriately (no continuous glycol pump setting)?
    Is your glycol pump speed set too high, either via menu or physical switch on pump?