Options

antenna hook up

fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
edited August 2019 in Battery/Electrical & Solar
Hi all,
After several years of happy camping with rabbit ears and mostly without my working husband, who was working, we now require a better antenna.  (I always figured if the tv did not get any stations, read a book). However after being at a somewhat remote campground during the final four, and my husband's retirement, we require a better antenna.  I've found one that fits the bill but am trying to sort through the hook up prior to purchase.
All of these antenna are amplified and require low voltage electricity.  The antennas in my home that are amplified either plug in to the usb port on the tv or an adapter and into the wall.  The connections on the back of the stock interior tv in my 2016 CSS are a DC12, an HDMI and a standard coaxial connection.  There is an empty usb port, which I'm thinking is for the amplified antenna.
Has anyone figured out an amplified signal outside antenna hookup?  Maybe just an extension cord and plug it in outside?
Thanks for your help, safe travels and happy trails.
Denise
Denise, Rea and Ruby
2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
Somerset, VA

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    @fiddlefoot, I deleted your same post in the other old thread, just so we don't end up having two parallel discussions.
    Sorry I can't help you with your TV. Mine is in a box in my basement.  :-/
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thank you Scott.
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    Somerset, VA

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @fiddlefoot ,
    When we got the amplified antenna below, it came with the pictured power injector, which is a short coax cable with a small box that accepts a power input from a provided USB cable which plugs into to back of our TV.  We just plugged the coax cable that comes in behind the tv from the outside coax port, into the power injector cable which then goes into the TV.  Power is injected into the antenna which is plugged into the outside port & raised on a painter pole mast attached to a front handle.
    I think this is typical for any of the powered antennas. 
    Or does your T@B not have the outside coax port? 

[New Concept] 1byone Amplified Outdoor Antenna with Omni-Directional 360 Degree Reception, 60 Miles Indoor/Attic/Outdoor TV Antenna for FM/VHF/UHF, Tools-Free Installation, Anti-UV Coating-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N06CBFO

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    You could connect an inverter to your battery in the tub that could be used to plug in the power supply from the antenna.  When I played with an antenna that needed power that seemed to me to be the easiest way.  My coax connection is on the front driver's side of the trailer, and it wouldn't be hard to connect the antenna's power supply over that short of a distance.

I still have the setup in the trailer, but then I found that my remote campsites I like are too far away from the transmitters to be of much use!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I tapped into the 12v power for the TV for the power injector for a King omnidirectional antennae.  I also used an inline switch to stop the TV phantom draw (blue light on the Jensen TV in our 400). 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Thanks all, looking at a King omnidirectional, will have good questions for the manufacturer 
    Denise
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    Somerset, VA

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Travels with Delaney has a you tube video reviewing the King antenna, I watched it a while back so don't recall the details, but I belive it was an easy install and zero power required at the antenna itself. You will need to power the amp, not sure if it is 120v or 12v and if 12v if that is an option? Bottom line is I think it was pretty much plug and play.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    For my 320 S  purchased an Amplifier and Antenna (two items).  Not a combination package so installation was easy.  What you need, IMHO, is an Antenna Amplifier that is not at the Antenna end of the wires.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    NinabeanNinabean Member Posts: 68
    I purchased and installed the King omnidirectional antenna as presented by Travel’s with Delaney.  It works great with the amplifier on 120volts.  I picked up 25 stations in a very rural area. When I went to solar power 12volts it did not work and I was only able to pick up 5 stations and not very good reception.  So I am going to assume you need 120v.
    2019 T@b 400 “Hazel”   Towed with a 2013 Ford F-150 STX  4X4 SuperCab 5.0L
    table mod
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @MuttonChops, I am not totally clear on what the "USB Extension Cable To Back Shelf" specifically refers to.  Is that a cable that is going to the USB plug at the back of the trailer to power the amplifier?  If so, how did you run it.........under the bench seat and then up to the USB port?  Thanks!  (Greg)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @MuttonChops, I am not totally clear on what the "USB Extension Cable To Back Shelf" specifically refers to.  Is that a cable that is going to the USB plug at the back of the trailer to power the amplifier? 
    Yes.  My Television Amp only has a 2-foot or so USB Cable for it's 5VDC power.  So when using the Amp I plug the short USB cable into a 6-foot extension cable and use the USB Port back near the shelf.
    USB Extension just lays on the seat back and is stored away when not needed.

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2019
    Ninabean said:
    I purchased and installed the King omnidirectional antenna as presented by Travel’s with Delaney.  It works great with the amplifier on 120volts.  I picked up 25 stations in a very rural area. When I went to solar power 12volts it did not work and I was only able to pick up 5 stations and not very good reception.  So I am going to assume you need 120v.
    I doubt the two are correlated.  The booster runs only on 12V DC.  You are either getting it directly from a 12V DC source (cigarette lighter socket) or you're getting it from a 110V AC source which is converted to 12V DC via a transformer (which is why the plug is so big).  Are you doing your comparative testing in exactly the same location, once with a 12V source and once with a 110V source?

EDIT:  Thinking through this further, you might have a problem if you're getting your 12V DC power from a USB port.  USB is notoriously underpowered--usually limited to about 2.1A or lower.  If you find you are getting lousy reception from your antenna and you're using USB, try a cigarette lighter socket.  You'll get more amps.  At least 5 and possibly as many as 15, depending on how it's fused.
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    So there is a USB port on the television that is labeled DC12, I am hopeful that this will power the antenna, it will arrive next week and adventures with electricity will continue.  I saw Travel's with Delaney as well and that was more informative than anyone selling the product.  Ninabean, did yours come with a USB plug?
    Great info and graphics, thanks all.
    Denise
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    Somerset, VA

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    So there is a USB port on the television that is labeled DC12, I am hopeful that this will power the antenna, it will arrive next week and adventures with electricity will continue.  I saw Travel's with Delaney as well and that was more informative than anyone selling the product.  Ninabean, did yours come with a USB plug?
    Great info and graphics, thanks all.
    Denise
    I also have the King Omni antenna.  I recall the booster coming with a plug/transformer for plugging into standard 110v shore power and a cigarette socket plug for plugging into 12V.  I do not remember seeing a USB cable.
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    For my 320 S  purchased an Amplifier and Antenna (two items).  Not a combination package so installation was easy. 

Well, well while reading a Facebook post learned the Jensen TeleV has a USB Port.  So no need for that USB Extension to power my Amplifier.  Just plug the short amplifier USB cable into the TeleV.
    Feeling just a bit dumb . . . . . . .
  • Options
    JBurrisJBurris Member Posts: 6
    I have connected the King Omni antenna to my Jensen TV in my Tab 320S as directed in instructions and by Delaney Youtube instructions but I still get a "no signal" message. When I go to menu, try to go to channels option, that is not a selection that is allowed, the menu cycles back over to the first option. The Channel and Lock options are not accessible with the arrow over process.  Tell me ---  where have I gone wrong and how can I remedy my no tv signal situation???
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited August 2019
    Did you try scanning for channels, it is kind of a longish 5-10 minute process.  The TV needs to sweep the airwaves for stations.  Every new camp location this needs to be repeated

If you live in a metro area try scanning the channels without the amplifier portion in the behind the TV.   

I found at home I get 6 more stations without than with.   Same for our trip to Winton woods in cincinati
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    Follow the directions for setup until you get the maximum number of lit LEDs then go to the television's menu 'channel' section and as noted above select scan for channels. If you are not getting any LEDs to light then you are not getting a signal. Here's a link to the manual for the antenna:

https://kingconnect.com/support/product-support/initial-setup-king-jack-antennas/

Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    @Cbusguy and @MiquelCamo , I can not get to the Channel portion of the menu. When using the arrow in the menu, it skips the Channel and Lock dropdown and goes back to the first selection in menu. 

• Options
    @JBurris, I don't know if it will work, but check the "Source" to make sure it is set to "TV."  It seems like something is causing your set-up menu to bypass the "Channel" button.  I'm not sure if you would even see that menu on some other source (other than TV), but it is worth checking if you haven't already tried that.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2019
    @JBurris I went out this morning and changed the source on mine from TV and then the lock/channel options were not available. Bayliss has the correct theory, select "Source" and change to "TV". It should work from there. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    @Bayliss and @MiquelCamo just wanted to report that I followed your suggestion and I finally have TV. Thank you both for your advice.
  • Options
    Great news, @JBurris!  My thanks to @MiquelCamo as well.