Bike hitch??

Here's an idea. Please tell me if you think it's feasible or if I'm crazy. I'm going to move the spare tire on our TAB 320 CS to a tongue box mount. After that I want to explore the possibility of getting a simple tow hitch receiver welded up under the rear end so a hitch-mount bike carrier could fit. Is there enough strength in the rear end to support such a thing? Has anybody ever done something like this? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I've looked real hard at doing the same thing.  I'm quite certain that the spare tire mount would hold the forward force of a rear mounted bike rack, but there would need to be some way of providing vertical support at the rear, and I just don't see any structure that one could tie in to do that.  I considered using some flat cargo straps looped through the rear handles, but didn't see this as a viable long-term solution.  I finally ordered and installed a roof-mount bike rack on my Jeep Wrangler.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The T@B’s frames are not constructed in a way to support the slingshot/bomerang forces of having an extension added for a bike or cargo rack. The factory has told different members this over the years. 

I lost a perfectly great bicycle from the rear of my Silver Shadow teardrop due to this slingshot movement. It’s not worth it, believe me. I still miss that bike. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • scotty0424scotty0424 Member Posts: 17
    klenger said:
    I've looked real hard at doing the same thing.  I'm quite certain that the spare tire mount would hold the forward force of a rear mounted bike rack, but there would need to be some way of providing vertical support at the rear, and I just don't see any structure that one could tie in to do that.  I considered using some flat cargo straps looped through the rear handles, but didn't see this as a viable long-term solution.  I finally ordered and installed a roof-mount bike rack on my Jeep Wrangler.
    Yep. Car-topping is fine for the bikes. But then the canoe stays home. Everything's a trade-off.
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited May 2019
    We've successfully used the cargo rack to use fork mounted bike carriers, and kayaks on the TV.  Biggest problem is then not having a rack on the car to take bikes other places.  We usually have room to carry a hitch mount rack inside the TV.  I bought a double hitch receiver in hopes I could carry it on the tongue with the trailer, but there wasn't space for it to work.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    I want a canoe or a kayak just for how way cool it looks on top of the car.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    db_cooper said:
    We've successfully used the cargo rack to use fork mounted bike carriers, and kayaks on the TV.  Biggest problem is then not having a rack on the car to take bikes other places.  We usually have room to carry a hitch mount rack inside the TV.  I bought a double hitch receiver in hopes I could carry it on the tongue with the trailer, but there wasn't space for it to work.
    @db_cooper, what type of hitch-mount rack do you have? I was thinking about trying one of the Curt dual-receiver hitches to see if I could fit a rack in there with the 400.

I really liked the 320's rack solution and wish it worked on the 400. When I envisioned it though, I assumed I'd put the rear tire up in the air (no bugs on handlebars), and the fork mount on the bottom side (easier to access 'business end', easy to roll rear tire up the tray, etc.). Any reason you didn't mount it that way?
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • I don't know about your needs but I have an Arvika bike rack mounted on the tongue and still can carry my kayak on the rooftop of my TV
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @scotty0424 - We have a CS S as well and LOVE our tire and bike solution.  You can check out details under: "Our Bike Rack Solution T@B CS S".  There are lots of great options that people have done. Good luck!

2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    b407 driver what make is your vent cover on top of your  trailer, looks like it would stop rain from getting in if I ever forgot to close the roof vent, thanks Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    @b407driver

I have an older Thule hitch rack for 2 bikes.  It doesn't stick out too far folded up,  so I'd be surprised to find another rack to carry in the double receiver.

As for the orientation of the bikes,  I haven't tried it the other way.  The wheel holder slides up and down, and I felt with all the bouncing that I wanted the mass below the fork attachment, and not pressing down.  I'm not a physicist or physician, so maybe it wouldn't matter?  

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Bayliss Thanks
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    Yep, that's the one, smoke color.