Retro-fitting T@b 320s for the new Elwell Air8 AC

Has anyone explored the possibility of retrofitting a 320 that has the residential style AC with the new Air8?

I am interested in a system that can handle higher temperatures better.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2019
    I checked out their website. It says 'no sidewall penetration'. How does the waste heat get out? The bottom?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Here are pics here on the forum of the intake and exhaust vents under the trailer.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/118874#Comment_118874
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2019
    Ah... Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM.

Is it susceptible to 'puddle-splash', or have they come up with a factory mod for it being so exposed?

It seems like the AC unit being positioned to the rear of the axle in the 320, would be a great aid to balancing a heavy tongue.

Is there room opposite the Alde?

But then I wonder how efficient it would be having the AC on the floor, when it's preferable to inject AC cool air at the ceiling... Running duct work in the 320 might be a bit of a challenge. Maybe run it up the rear corners, boxed in and blowing out near the speakers...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ChanW said:
    Ah... Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM.

Is it susceptible to 'puddle-splash', or have they come up with a factory mod for it being so exposed?

It seems like the AC unit being positioned to the rear of the axle in the 320, would be a great aid to balancing a heavy tongue.

Is there room opposite the Alde?

But then I wonder how efficient it would be having the AC on the floor, when it's preferable to inject AC cool air at the ceiling... Running duct work in the 320 might be a bit of a challenge. Maybe run it up the rear corners, boxed in and blowing out near the speakers...
    Good questions. I have not really heard anything q+pabout puddle splash and am iinterested in this, also. I know they are working out a fix to a problem with the baffles in the exhaust area so I am not in any hurry to do this, but I might want to look at in the first quarter as I might be planning a trip to Southeast Utah in the spring.

Yes, opposite the Alde is where it is located and I would think there should be plenty ty of room  
    From what I understand, the ductwork, in addition to being low, runs up the wall where the Alde control panel and shower access are and is higher so that probably helps. 

Interesting ideas about the speakers, the only thing is that you would have exposed ductwork when the bed is down. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited July 2019
    I figured boxing-in the corners below the cabinets with birch, would be a good solution, like the later 320’s have. But maybe higher up over by the shower makes more sense. 

I'm a little discouraged though, after reading about those problems with exhaust heat / intake mixing. Sounds too similar to the stock AC problem!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Any idea as to the cost of this AC unit?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    Any idea as to the cost of this AC unit?
    Not yet.

• kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I asked Austin about this at uCamp. I believe he said that it was possible to do the switch, but it was not financially feasible. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Do the U and the S have different A/C units in the nüCamp models prior to 2020? Man, we keep ours in the 60s and have no trouble keeping it cool even when the temp is in the 100s. 
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    ColleenD2 said:
    Do the U and the S have different A/C units in the nüCamp models prior to 2020? Man, we keep ours in the 60s and have no trouble keeping it cool even when the temp is in the 100s. 
    Yes. U model has a CoolCat, I believe. S model has a 5000 BTU window air conditioner, most recently a unit by Danby.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2019
    We don’t have a Coolcat and we have a 2019 U. Ours is a Danby window unit type air conditioner as well so maybe they changed it recently.  It really works like a champ!
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Living in AZ, I have found that if you run a small oscillating fan to mix the air while running the AC, you get a lot better cooling effect.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
    kybob said:
    I asked Austin about this at uCamp. I believe he said that it was possible to do the switch, but it was not financially feasible. 
    Well, that is sad.