Options

Adding an outlet to my garage

We'd like to have an electrician add an outlet to the outside of our garage in order to make it easy to plug in the T@b 400. Should we just put a standard outlet there and use an adapter, or is it better to install a 30 Amp outlet? I know nothing about electrical systems, so any answers should be simple! 

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Deb55, although it will cost a bit more, I would strongly recommend installing a 30 Amp outlet.  This will provide you with more power and help prevent overloading the circuit and tripping the breaker when powering devices in your camper.  Preferably, you will want to locate the 30A outlet within reach of your camper electrical connection so that you do not need to add any additional electrical cord length than that which came with the camper.  Installing only a standard outlet will limit your options for providing sufficient power to the camper.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    I agree that if all things are held equal, the 30 amp option is preferred. However, several factors will determine how easy or difficult this proves to be.

If there are already standard 15 or 20 amp outlets nearby, adding another to an existing circuit could be relatively simple. In most cases, adding a heavier 30 amp outlet will require a whole new circuit. Ease or difficulty of this will depend in large part to proximity to the service panel.

An electrician should be able to advise you of options and cost based on your particular house.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 45
    I have a TAB 320 and have it hooked to a 20 amp outlet with a 50 ft 12 gauge extension. I actually run the air conditioner to cool the TAB during the hot Tucson days. It has worked fine without any problem but I don't run anything else so 30 amp would be better if you want to spend the money. The 400 has a larger air conditioner so that enters in to the equation as well.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @ginsbuj it is a matter of best case for a completely new install.   While a 15 or 20 amp circuit can work with cautious usage, 30 amp is the best choice if an electrician doing a new install,. I can't imagine it being more than 50 to $100 more as the cost of the breaker and wire shouldn't be that much more.

Of course assuming you have room in your homes circuit panel
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    The main purpose of adding this outlet would be to keep the battery charged. I won't be living in it! Of course it is a fun little hideaway, or a place for a guest to spend a night that's also close to a real bathroom... But that's not likely to happen often, if ever. So, mainly for charging, because I'd rather leave the battery in place. Also it wouldn't hurt to have an outdoor outlet anyway. Do those reasons make a difference in whether or not it's 30 Amp? 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2019
    You won't need anything close to 30 amps--or even 15 amps--just to charge the battery via the onboard converter. If you plan on running the air conditioner, Alde, and fridge at the same, that's a different issue!

As for other uses, a standard 15 amp outlet will be a lot more useful for anything else you would conceivable plug in. In that regard, even if you do go with the 30 amp, you might consider having 15 amp receptacle installed as well...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I added a 30A outlet to the side of my garage.  I purchased a 30A box from Home Depot.  My installation was pretty simple to install as I had a separate circuit in place and not in use that was dedicated for a hot tub on my deck.  Hot tubs are great, but they require maintenance, time and effort.  I had just enough wire to complete the run and it does make life easier when plugging in the trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ