Options

Single bed setup ideas.

I would love to see some pictures of different ways your setting up single beds instead of the whole camper bed. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,658
    There is a "twin bed mod" which basically uses one side of the trailer or the other as a bed. Owners extend the beds slightly into the center aisle in creative ways.

The easiest "single" is to sleep "wheel to wheel" along the back of the trailer.  Height of owner will limit this application.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I have been sleeping "wheel to wheel" .. just put the couch back down and put a twin foam topper on it .. head usually goes driver side so that the shower blocks the light a bit...

However, I have built myself a small platform for moving my sleeping position to front to back.. I'm going to try it out on my upcoming 2 week vacation. If I don't like it I'll roll back to wheel to wheel..

I took pics but they're too big to post and I'm not really at a machine I can resize them now.. but I made a 12" wide 32" long plywood deck on top of a 12" high set of legs that I kind of set along the "slat rail" of the passenger side of the seat.. it is designed to let me leave the Lagun table in place and set my twin mattress cover on that side of the camper.

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    51chevy said:
    I would love to see some pictures of different ways your setting up single beds instead of the whole camper bed. Thanks
    Which T@B model do you have?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    My first attempt was using 1" rigid foam. Its surprisingly strong if you engineer it right .. were I to go with this solution I'd have done the "poor woman's fiberglass" trick where I coat it in fiberglass window screen with a thick layer of latex paint to strengthen it.

It did hold my weight as is though you can see it bending a bit.. were I to have actually used it I'd have done a bit more reinforcing..running a "girder" under the flat sections

I decided that while foam is very light and I could make this work.. I can't do it without the 4 legs.. and that end leg, I kept kicking when I'd come in/out.. so I wanted something with more sturdiness and which I could skip the end support.. see next post for my actual solution
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

• Options
    After my prototype with foam, I decided that I didn't like how I kept kicking the end wall when I was moving about.. I wanted to have a bit of an overhang.. Foam is not a good material for that.. so I started over using some scrap plywood and old shelves.

Note how I deliberately offset it .. the back and right sides will get supported by the bench so I am using the legs to support the middle and overhang.

The notches are so it will fit the bed slat stops without having to remove them.. also helps hold things tight

It's in place here..

From the floor looking up (very wide angle lens) so you can see how I take advantage of the bed slat lip and the Lagun Table mount...

All in place, ready to test

Looks about right.. holds my weight too (no pic)

Left in place, seat back up.. the plastic drawers re in the spot of the other bench as this is my 'storage solution' for the event I'm attending.. I could still sleep wheel to wheel if I feel this doesn't work out.. no holes drilled, no permanent changes.. but that set of drawers is staying.. I don't need the full bed layout at this juncture.. but should I need it I just remove the drawers and put the cushion back and go back to the slats.
    ~Tananda

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @DigitalSorceress Great job! I would probably recommend rounding the corner of your new platform that is closest to the shower. If you’re anything like me, that’ll be a constant source of bruises otherwise. 😁

Have you tried towing with the dresser in place? 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP  Yeah I may just take a belt sander to the corner ...

No tried towing with the dresser yet, but there .. there are bungee cords... ahh yes ...

~Tananda

• Options
    TiwiTiwi Member Posts: 9
    We decided to put everything in the game and added a bed platform, put there our old mattress and enjoy comfortable sleeping.

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Tiwi Like the idea of towing with a van conversion in progress.  Twice the space.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max