Adding a bathroom Porthole window to a 320s ?

B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
edited June 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi all, 
We are in the middle of a brand new 2019 320s purchase and hope to pick it up this week . (Cant Wait !  =)
It was tricky to find the color scheme we wanted as there are not many 2019's left . MUCH prefer the 2019 interior over the 2020 (but thats a whole other topic !) 
Anyway, found the exact one we want with all kinds of great options and the right color combo we were looking for,  from a great dealer close by (well about 3 hours!) 

The only option it does not have is the bathroom porthole window that we would have liked . 

Is it possible to add the port hole window ? 

Assuming we could get one from Nucamp, and find out the exact mounting location measurements the factory uses , I dont see why it cant be done ???

Anyone ever add one of these ? 

How about any voiding of warranty stuff ? 

Thanks for any opinions  ! 
2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

Comments

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    This was discussed at the 2019 T@Bazona by a nuCamp representative.  The factory installs the bath portal in the exact position of the door mounted one,  They also stated that there is nothing in the bath wall that would interfere with installing the portal window.  No wires, framing, etc, just foam sandwiched wall.  
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've seen someone have it done at uCamp, so it is possible.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @B0atguy, you may want to try using it a bit before you go to the trouble and expense.  We have the bathroom window (not intentionally, just was on the unit we bought off the dealer lot).  I have to say, while I initially thought it would be great to have to let even more light in, we actually have never opened the shade!  So you may find you don’t really miss it.

We all have different preferences, but just wanted you to know that if you otherwise found the perfect unit for you, go for it!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    elbereth said:
    @B0atguy, you may want to try using it a bit before you go to the trouble and expense.  We have the bathroom window (not intentionally, just was on the unit we bought off the dealer lot).  I have to say, while I initially thought it would be great to have to let even more light in, we actually have never opened the shade!  So you may find you don’t really miss it.

We all have different preferences, but just wanted you to know that if you otherwise found the perfect unit for you, go for it!
    ^^^This.

The bathroom window was one of the things I had to give up when an unexpected financial hit pushed me from the unit of my dreams to a less expensive one. When I really looked at the positioning of that window, I realized I’d leave it closed all the time anyway. The only time I wish it was there is when I occasionally notice the lack of symmetry on the outside. Never when I’m inside. 

Live without for a while, you can have one added at üCamp in a year or so if you want!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    Thanks for the replies . Good to know it can be added, but perhaps we will roll with it first and see if we would rather do without it ! Good call !
    Thanks .......

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    That window wasn't an option when we got our 2015,  so we don't miss it.  We use our bathroom for showers and the other things, but we certainly don't hang out in there enough to need a window.  B)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

edited July 2019
    db_cooper said:
    That window wasn't an option when we got our 2015,  so we don't miss it.  We use our bathroom for showers and the other things, but we certainly don't hang out in there enough to need a window.  B)

LOL, we were mostly thinking of the extra lighting it provided . I guess if it was a rainy day I could just sit in the bathroom all day and look out the window though ..........  =). hahaha

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The window in the shoilet is a must! Let’s in light, and one can gaze out of it...from time to time...😏
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    4ncar said:
    The window in the shoilet is a must! Let’s in light, and one can gaze out of it...from time to time...😏
    Meh. I don’t have one and would never spend the money to install one if I were buying a trailer without. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Being 6' 2" tall, I don't spend any more time in the bathroom that I have to.  I try to use the CG facilities as much as I can.  I've never even used the shower yet.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    We picked up the porthole window while at the 2018 rally. It can be mounted most anywhere on the wall. We determined where we wanted it from the inside. It doesn’t have to be in the same location as the door side in my opinion. The only thing is getting up the courage to cut a 12” hole in the side of your trailer. We like the light and would do it again. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I just picked up my T@B 320 S a week ago. It was ordered in March as a 2019. Because it was Mfg in May, it came out as a 2020, with the new (dark wood) color scheme - and a porthole in the bath.  I assumed it was a standard item.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    We picked up the porthole window while at the 2018 rally. It can be mounted most anywhere on the wall. We determined where we wanted it from the inside. It doesn’t have to be in the same location as the door side in my opinion. The only thing is getting up the courage to cut a 12” hole in the side of your trailer. We like the light and would do it again. 
    I purchased a bathroom porthole window kit from Elsie, late last year, but only just getting around to installing it.  I see no problem in cutting a hole in the Adzel, but was surprised to find the actual outer window has no screws or clamping mechanism and is affixed to the outside only by the adhesive/caulk.  I was wondering if @Dalehelman has any tips on ensuring the window is properly adhered to the outside.  Many thanks!
    @teztab
    Clean surface with alcohol. You really only get one shot. Once the tape makes contact do not lift or try to reposition. Press firmly. That’s it. Good luck.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Many thanks @Dalehelman !  So did your kit come with adhesive tape or is that something you purchased separately.  My kit did not come with tape.  Would that be 3M adhesive tape?  Thanks again...
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    LOL fun thread to read   =)
    B0atguy said:
    . . . only option it does not have is the bathroom porthole window that we would have liked .
    One of the things I liked about doing a Factory Order purchase was being able Not to get that window.  Seems my local dealer likes to order units fully optioned out . . . . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    @teztab
    3M 1/4” red backed tape is what came with ours. I did have to apply it myself. You can find it at Walmart and most auto parts stores. An even better choice  is VERY HIGH BOND 3M tape. Search VHB Scotch  mounting tape on Amazon.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    I know it well, @Dalehelman.  Many thanks for the clarification!
  • newellnewell Member Posts: 182

Being an ex-sailboater I guess I have a bias.  If I didn't have a window in my 320s and knowing what I know now, I would consider this marine grade opening porthole instead of the T@B stock round window.  
         Aside from the obvious reason for having a window that opens in the bathroom,  it is also nice to have the extra ventilation.  Taking a shower, shampooing your hair or just drying some towels or swimming gear.  If I could find one the correct size for the existing window opening or even a little larger I would change mine.  Here is the link if you're interested.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=vetus-pw-series-round-opening-porthole&path=-1|6880|2290158|2290160&id=2147521

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    newell said:

Being an ex-sailboater I guess I have a bias.  If I didn't have a window in my 320s and knowing what I know now, I would consider this marine grade opening porthole instead of the T@B stock round window.  
         Aside from the obvious reason for having a window that opens in the bathroom,  it is also nice to have the extra ventilation.  Taking a shower, shampooing your hair or just drying some towels or swimming gear.  If I could find one the correct size for the existing window opening or even a little larger I would change mine.  Here is the link if you're interested.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=vetus-pw-series-round-opening-porthole&path=-1|6880|2290158|2290160&id=2147521

Just one more thing, the description says hull (wall panel) thickness 1/8" to 7/8".  I'm not sure the thickness of the Azdel wall panel but if it's over 7/8", this unit won't work.   

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
    Well , after getting some use out of the T@B without the bathroom porthole window , I think we are going to leave it be . We dont need the window, and it will let in a bunch more light at the early hours of the morning (When we want to sleep in ! lol)  . 
    I kind of like the symmetrical look of 320 with the bathroom porthole window though . That side looks a little plain without the window .........

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    B0atguy said:
    I kind of like the symmetrical look of 320 with the bathroom porthole window though . That side looks a little plain without the window .........

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Much easier to wipe down the wall after a shower without the window.   
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    That came out great ! Love the centered location . 
    Question - How much did the window cost ? Was it direct from nuCamp  ? (not sure if nuCamp manufactures these windows or another manufacturer ???) 
    Still thinking I may add this to our 320 .........

Very nice work , although a bit of a nail-biter I am sure !!! 

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    B0atguy said:

Question - How much did the window cost ? Was it direct from nuCamp  ? (not sure if nuCamp manufactures these windows or another manufacturer ???) 

He mentioned earlier in the thread that it was direct from nuCamp, but late last year before the parts change went into effect. Now it would need to go through a dealer, likely with some markup.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    I purchased the window last fall, when it was still possible to order directly from Elsie at Nu Camp.  I just checked what I paid and the window, including the inner shroud, was $94.  I also purchased the little rotating blind and that was $33.  Obviously, there was also some shipping cost.

This is something I've been wanting to do since purchasing our 2018 T@b.  The dealer had pre-ordered it so there was no opportunity to specify the extra window.  The job is relatively easy if you take care and have the confidence to do it.  Measure/check, messure/check, then measure and check again!😀
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    FWIW - For those considering this modification.  The passenger side porthole on my DM T@B is much larger than the door window.  The transparent area on the door is ~10 inches verses ~13 inches on the opposite wall.  I think this may be the size used on the 400.  It may be possible to fit the larger window if desired. 
    Nice job teztab

rfuss928 said:
    FWIW - For those considering this modification.  The passenger side porthole on my DM T@B is much larger than the door window.  The transparent area on the door is ~10 inches verses ~13 inches on the opposite wall.  I think this may be the size used on the 400.  It may be possible to fit the larger window if desired. 
    Nice job teztab

Interesting - I was not aware there were other diameters available.  I ordered a 320 bathroom porthole window and received what is the same as the door window.  I'm very happy with the size as it is though....
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i would be nice if we could have a window that could open..   just to have some fresh air in and out..