Options

Amazon Amazon Amazon

Are all the members here working for Amazon marketing or something. You know there are other places to buy things. I think Bezos has enough Billions for now. I avoid them at all costs.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Camping World is great. Amazon is losing its shine because of third party deliveries, and as you said, there are other places. I tend to run to my local RV supply guy because he's a small biz and I like talking to him.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    "Dance with the one that brung ya."  I always try to shop at local merchants rather than the Big Box retailers or Amazon.  If we don't support them now, they will surely go out of business and we'll lose the convenience of having them nearby.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    etrailer has a lot of stuff, ... more than just towing.  Great service, but the free shipping doesn't kick in till $100 and delivery is longer to AZ because everything ships from the same warehouse.  At least their basic shipping charges are reasonable. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2019
    Yes, I prefer to shop local (DW & I are local merchants ourselves), but sometimes it's hard to find exactly what you want locally.
    Amazon is screwing up these days, too big and in too much of a hurry for that "same day delivery". I'm receiving terrible service from them, and way too often will receive 'counterfeit', 'factory seconds', damaged, or previously purchased / returned items.
    Bezos started with pride of their service. No more.
    Camping World is probably a good alternative, if you make sure not to give them your address! They've put me on so many mailing lists my snail-mailbox (and email) is full of junk again! This, after only one online purchase!
    +1 for eTrailer
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I pay for Amazon prime, can find exactly what I need easily, and have it delivered to my door in just a couple of days.  Many of the products I've bought on Amazon are simply unobtainable in local stores. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    To me, having something delivered to my door is a pain and create too much individual trafic, when a truck will usually go to one local place.  And you tyen go pic it up local when doing a shoping round localy.

but like some have said, in small regions or small town, some of the things are just i possible to get or even order and some of the things are just not available in canada.  Then, amazon is the solution.

remeber that every google order is single and heavy packaging, that does not really exist when choping localy.

we might be in the small rv camping, but that does not mean that we should leave a heavy carbon trace.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    NHCraigNHCraig Member Posts: 26
    I'm neutral on Amazon, but I think one reason you see them so much here is that if you mention a product and someone asks for a link or picture, the easiest place to find and post that is from Amazon.  Once you see it, you can search for yourself and buy it where you please.
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I go out of my way to NOT shop Camping World because they are such shysters. . . I get a fair amount from Amazon because like another posted above, I can't find it in local stores & I'm not saving money running all over town burning gas to find something--I also find that the majority of the things I have purchase from Amazon after researching prices from other places, that Amazon is @ the same and many times less, especially when other places add in their ridiculous shipping charges--so I'm saving money on some things.  I hope their service does not get worse, though, I have also noticed a decline in the service with some deliveries lately. 
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Life is too short for boycotts....in most cases. There are no local stores for me...even though we have a camping world in Pittsburgh now. It would take me an hour to get there. Amazon just works.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I tend to boycott shysters, sorry.  To each his own :)
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Camping world,  if you enjoy premium prices for the same thing.   

The other place is walmart on line,   but navigating is much more difficult.

Honestly there is no local RV stores with any sort of inventory locally.   Now I use Home depot or lowes for the majority of my needs....

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    @Cbusguy I have found the same thing, and I live in a suburb just north of Denver and any Camping World or trailer supply around here really, really marks up the prices.  It's gouging.   I like being able to order online and it just shows up =)
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I actually use ebay more than Amazon. I do much prefer ordering online though. It takes me 5 minutes to find a specific item I want online. It takes HOURS to find it locally. Even if I shop locally, I also prefer to order online, and pickup in store, as I don't want to go tromping through the store.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    I bought my first year of Amazon Prime this Spring and am loving it! I live in a rural area, where it is impossible to find much of I need for camping.  I tried Camper's world, but the nearest one is over an hour away, and Amazon nearly aways has a lower price for the same item.  I do try to by locally when I can, and just bought an Ultimate Jack from my local Tractor Supply yesterday, so my new bike rack (from Amazon) will work.
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i would love to order stuff somewhere else,   even a brink and mortar store.    but i have not seen anywhere that can beat the price,   delivery time, selection and return policy.     if you have different site that you can recommend i would be welcome to use it.   another one i have seen catching up is Walmart.com
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I pay for Amazon prime, can find exactly what I need easily, and have it delivered to my door in just a couple of days.  Many of the products I've bought on Amazon are simply unobtainable in local stores. 
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    I understand the feeling behind those who don't use Amazon.  But after having just bought a T@B, I ended up realizing I needed a variety of connectors, parts, fuses, etc. on a daily basis for about two weeks.  It was easy for me to go to Amazon and order what I needed, delivered for free in two days...some the next day.  Everything was delivered on time or before time in good order.  And the prices were good also.  I haven't experience anything but good products and good service since I started using Prime a few years back...and the movies are good too!!  If someone can show me where to find the same variety of products for the same price with the same 2 day free shipping, please do.  Otherwise this becomes too much of a political discussion for me.

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    wooper said:
    I understand the feeling behind those who don't use Amazon.  But after having just bought a T@B, I ended up realizing I needed a variety of connectors, parts, fuses, etc. on a daily basis for about two weeks.  It was easy for me to go to Amazon and order what I needed, delivered for free in two days...some the next day.  Everything was delivered on time or before time in good order.  And the prices were good also.  I haven't experience anything but good products and good service since I started using Prime a few years back...and the movies are good too!!  If someone can show me where to find the same variety of products for the same price with the same 2 day free shipping, please do.  Otherwise this becomes too much of a political discussion for me.

Well said. X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    My opinion:
    ++1 for local suppliers, even at higher price
    +1 for other than Amazon on-line, even at higher price
    0 neutral for Amazon, check for product quality always
    -10 fake shopping sites
    -100 forum fakes
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Living in Canada...our Amazon is not the same and does not offer the same "stuff" as the American site...it takes a little work but I prefer to touch and feel at a store in my hood...even if I have to drive a little further for it...so glad I'm not an online shopper...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @abenteurer Oh no! What’s a forum fake? I’m almost afraid to ask.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    and how is this political?
    Maybe the 'forum fakes' @abenteurer is referring to is the fake product reviews on Amazon.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thanks @ChanW, that makes sense. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have a fairly apolitical view on Amazon, mostly due to the fact that my work has focused on the trends that go along with digital transformation. The truth is, your local business can compete but must adopt modern methods and tech. There are some RV dealers who have done this and I have ordered from them, before (Tweety's.)  

Why do I like Amazon? They offer me wider variety at competitive prices and they do it in a way that works for me. I was an Amazon early adopter. My conversion came when I was sick in bed with bronchitis  and needed to do my Christmas shopping. I Have my mome ts of frustration with Amazon but by and large they do a pretty impressive job of carrying what I want and need and getting it to me quickly.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    “Forum fake”. I’d venture a guess and think she means the product reviews of a product on Amazon.  It’s been reported that some positive reviews are not real.  So, if you see a product with 34 reviews and they are all 5 stars, I’d be suspicious.  If there are 1000 mostly positives, that be more real.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    many of the reviews now have verified purchase beside them.    I look at those.

There is a couple of companys that in trouble with the FTC over fake reviews.  Link

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I shop local, do use Amazon, and do use eTrailer.  I have found a local RV dealer - not the one that sells T@Bs - has a pretty good parts department and the employees are helpful and friendly.

But there are just some things I can't find locally.  And traffic has gotten so bad in town that when I get done with work I don't want to spend 2 hours on the road and back to pick something up.  Is it better to have delivery drivers on the road or all of us running the roads?  I just don't know.

I won't go to Camping World anymore because of what was mentioned above.  Not a good company.

Also with my Amazon Prime membership I use for my TV service and music streaming.  The only other TV I have is an antenna so it's a pretty good value for me.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW