Battery on or off when on shore power

2»

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Talk about over-thinking a topic--that will teach you to go poking about on Fakebook!  ;-)
    A properly functioning converter will always put out a higher voltage than even a fully charged battery. That means current will always be flowing to the battery. Under normal circumstances this effectively makes the battery another load on the system, as opposed to a power source.
    I'm not a big fan of keeping fully charged batteries on maintenance chargers, but that's more a personal peculiarity than a reasoned argument. When on shore power, I routinely leave my battery disconnected and everything works just fine.
    2015 T@B S
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Some of you are confusing the WFCO load center which includes the DC fuses and AC circuit breakers with the converter.  The converter's only function is to convert 120 VAC power to 12 VDC power to charge the battery(s) and power the 12 VDC lights and appliances.  In the case of the WFCO load center, the converter is housed as a module inside the load center, but the 12 VDC and 120 VAC power distribution are not functions of the converter.  In many RVs, the load center and the converter are totally separate devices, but are usually located near each other for simplicity of the electrical connections. 

In the case of my highly modified electrical system, I have disabled the WFCO converter module and installed a separate converter compatible with the lithium battery I've installed.  My WFCO load center still functions as the distribution center for the 12 VDC and 120 VAC power systems, but the built in converter does nothing. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited August 2019
    @ScottG, some of us with AGM batteries can not rely on a high enough voltage in the absorption phase from the current TaB chargers.  So, that is why I end up putting a smart charger on our AGM - not all the time, just before storage.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @ScottG, some of us with AGM batteries can not rely on a high enough voltage in the absorption phase from the current TaB chargers.  So, that is why I end up putting a smart charger on our AGM - not all the time, just before storage.
    No argument there--I often put my plain vanilla wet cell on a separate smart charger because it has better charge parameters than the WFCO. But as to the original question of whether your battery needs to be connected while on shore power, I'm stickin' to my story...  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Oh no, another question...

I'm not a big fan of keeping fully charged batteries on maintenance chargers, but that's more a personal peculiarity than a reasoned argument. When on shore power, I routinely leave my battery disconnected and everything works just fine. ”

I’ve been removing my battery before putting our camper in storage.  Then we put it on a trickle charger for the winter in our basement...  Wrong?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited August 2019
    If the battery switch is off (battery circuit disconnected) your break away brakes will not receive power from the TaB battery.”

Our camper didn’t come with a disconnect.  We thought we’d like it inside the camper.  More convenient...  So I followed a detailed example from someone here, who had the switch mounted on the bench on the driver side, interrupting power there.  Am I still cutting off break cable power?  If so, all those years of potential danger...

i collect camper knowledge in three ring binders.. Each year, the manual gets more comprehensive.  Still, a lot of this falls thru the cracks.  I try to boil down the vast amount of stuff to basics.  Example:  using camper - battery on,  not using, off.    

(limited brain cell storage capacity,  only so much room...  I have pick and choose what to store...  Now,  how to erase the Gilligan’s Island theme song...)
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

( my wife said, “it’s time to retire the tent after 45 years.  It will be so much easier with a camper.  Hook up and go...... Right....)
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited August 2019
    @TerryV6, if your switch is installed under the driver's bench near the WFCO, your breakaway brakes always remain connected to the battery (via the junction box under the front of the camper) regardless of the switch position. In addition to convenience, I consider that one of the advantages of having the disconnect in that location. You have been safe all these years...  ;-)
    Another advantage is that while in transit you can completely disconnect the camper electrical system while still allowing your vehicle to charge your battery.

2015 T@B S
    edited August 2019
    @TerryV6, as for your other question, I also remove my battery and bring in inside over the winter. I don't leave it on the charger full time, but I do top it up maybe once month if the charge drops below 12.5V or so.
    That said, smart chargers are supposedly designed to stay connected full time, and lots of people do exactly that, so I don't think you are doing anything wrong.
    This assumes you are using an actual smart charger (like a Battery Tender) and not a true old school trickle charger. Those have no charge regulation and can indeed damage you battery if left on for longer than is required to complete the charge.
    2015 T@B S
    Mine is a Genius.... which I am not.... grin
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    TerryV6 said:
    So I followed a detailed example from someone here, who had the switch mounted on the bench on the passenger side, interrupting power there.  
    You are probably referring to my battery disconnect mod.  While the switch is located under the bench on the passenger's side, it is just a control switch which activates a mechanical battery disconnect relay located under the bench on the driver's side below the TV.  I installed the switch in that location because I can activate / deactivate the battery disconnect from outside the RV by just reaching inside the side storage door, or from inside the trailer by lifting up the seat cushion if necessary.  My entire electrical system has little resemblance to how the trailer was delivered from nuCamp, but it all works great for me.  More information at the link in my signature.  
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
    I think I can safely say @TerryV6 meant to say driver's side bench. Terry, don't hesitate to set the record straight if I am wrong.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
    edited August 2019
    I'm 67.. I'm allowed..  Yes, I meant drivers side.. Thanks again for your mod @klenger
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@TerryV6, I just thought maybe you were fantasizing about T@bbing around in Ireland or one of those other places where they drive on the wrong side of the road...  ;-)

2015 T@B S
    Is there a landbridge?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

If there was there would need to be a big sign telling you when it's time to start driving on the left...
    I think you'll have to wait for the amphibious model T@B. Maybe 2021?
    2015 T@B S
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604

I kept this photo just for threads involving ocean travel.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • fnova5fnova5 Member Posts: 10
    I am new to logging into Forums, but I have found all these exchanges very informative. I have a 2019 TAB 400 that I have to store in a Trailer storage facility.  So keeping the batteries charged has been a bit of a challenge during the winter months.  Has anyone tried removing the batteries from a 2019 TAB 400? 
    fnova5 2019 T@B 400/F150/Broomfield Colorado
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @fnova5, AGM batteries can hold a charge for months with no or very little self-discharge.  You must charge them fully (probably best to use a smart charger) before storage.  If you can do that, you should not need to remove the batteries.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    fnova5 said:
    I am new to logging into Forums, but I have found all these exchanges very informative. I have a 2019 TAB 400 that I have to store in a Trailer storage facility.  So keeping the batteries charged has been a bit of a challenge during the winter months.  Has anyone tried removing the batteries from a 2019 TAB 400? 
    I use a 10w solar battery tender panel to maintain my single Group 24 battery while it's at the storage yard.
    I'm not sure if that would be enough to maintain the T@B 400 batteries but it might be worth a shot. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab