Options

Homemade Exterior Window Shade Ideas

I see there are a few ideas out there for exterior window shades. I am planning on sewing my own out of sunbrella fabric, and using a lighter weight interior blackout curtain fabric liner.
The question: Has anyone tried or thought of using a piece of elastic around the edge to hold in place ?? One might only be able to use elastic on 3 sides due to the hinge at the top of the window.
Anyone have ideas or suggestions before I go to cutting fabric ??
KatieMae - 2010 Toyota Tundra, 2018 T@B 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I made window covers from fabric based on the patterns here in the files.  I believe they make a huge difference in the amount of heat that comes in when the sun is directly on any given window

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @KatieMae, there are easy patterns already posted and linked here on the forum. Some are even reversible. The pattern calls for a pocket to hold the bottom of the window and an elastic band nearly midway up the window to hold the curtain/cover in place. They are used for shade, privacy and style when camping with open windows. I think the pattern calls for 2/12 yards of fabric to cover all three windows. There are pics posted here too. If you need more inspiration, there are t@b window covers listed on the ETSY site. -Denise.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    I have some that have a piece of elastic that slips over the top 2 corners. The first link below has the original instructions.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/FileUpload/7c/217967229dd8938d955b7565a0a14e.pdf

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/429/window-awning-covers-shades

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Here's what I  did..
    https://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/6995/window-awning-design-clip

It has never been windy enough for us to need the plastic clips, so we haven't used them yet.  The pocket at bottom edge & elastic going across the top corners is all we've ever needed & they are easy to put on & take off.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    KatieMaeKatieMae Member Posts: 13
    Thanks ALL !! Some good ideas. I did see the discussion about the curtain patterns with the velcro straps; I might add with super great photos and instructions. I don't see any need for the scalloped edges though.

Is the overhanging edge of fabric necessary to shed rainfall?? Or purely decorative?

I just wondered about a long perimeter piece of elastic, sewn around the edge in it's own 'pocket edge',  to hold in place. I envision a large lined rectangle, with elastic edges. Might hold well in windy situations too. I already have the fabric, and light weight blackout liner. I thought the liner might help insulate against the heat, but also in a campground with intrusive streetlights, when one wants to leave the window open.

I might just have to make one and see how it works.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Try it and let us know.  The only negative I can see is it may have a gathered look around the edges.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    KatieMae said:
    Is the overhanging edge of fabric necessary to shed rainfall?? Or purely decorative?

I just wondered about a long perimeter piece of elastic, sewn around the edge in it's own 'pocket edge',  to hold in place. I envision a large lined rectangle, with elastic edges. 
    I might just have to make one and see how it works.
    Aside from being decorative, I don't think the hanging edge is necessary, but it can be functional in providing a bit of additional privacy when the window is more open.

I think your idea of an wide elastic band pocket around 3 sides sounds very feasible & worth trying.  It could eliminate the need for a diagonal strap across the top corners.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I had fishing weights put into the two lower corners of the shades.  Works great keeping them from flipping up in the wind.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Thanks once again for your comments! Yes, the extra fabric on the lower edge would provide additional privacy, and the opposite would also apply. It would limit visibility. Guess I need to determine my priorities. Eh?
    About time to start sewing. I do have extra fabric if it doesn't work out.
  • Options
    KFarriorKFarrior Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a 9.5 x9.5 waterproof Sun Shade Sail Canopy on Amazon with a set of extending tent poles that extent to 8.2 feet.  I'm planing on buying the Keder Awning Rope to sew onto it to slide into the keder rail on my 2016 Tab max CS-S Clamshell.  I use a tailgate tent over the kitchen which works great.  I hope this helps with a DIY idea.
  • Options
    @KFarrior I am open to ALL ideas. Does the sun shade canopy come with a method to stake it for the wind, or will you add those yourself?
    I love the DIY ideas....