50a vs 30a surge protector for T@B 320

I just bought a 2017 T@B 320 (yippee!!!) and am piecing together the things I need for future safe and enjoyable adventures.  Some of the state campsites here in Texas only have 50a power, while most RV parks seem to offer both or just 30a.  If I buy a 50a surge protector, will it work on a 30a with an adapter?  The prices are all over the place and I also have concerns about it being stolen while away from the campsite.  Any suggestions and info greatly appreciated 
2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You have s 30 amp camper, and you must protect its needs, so you only need to pay for a 30 amp surged suppressor.

For ease of operation (not having to plug one in every time) do some search on the forum for EMS, which is an in-line surge suppressor plus protection for under-voltage, etc. yes, the EMS is more expensive, but I sure do like the ease of plugging in and letting the Progressive Industries EMS doing the hard work for me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    edited July 2019
    So if I'm in a campground with only 50 amps, I can plug an adaptor into my 30 amp surge suppressor and that should be good?  And I'm looking at the Portable RV Surge Protector Portable EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector ...is that the one you mentioned?

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, you can put your adapter on the 30 amp surge suppressor to fit the amp. 

Sorry, I am not familiar with the model number. Search this forum and I know someone else has already mentioned the model number.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @wooper, here is an example of an adapter you can use to step down the power from a campground's 50A outlet to your camper's 30A power cord:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTSQG3G/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I posted a response on the thread where you recently asked a similar question, identifying the Progressive Industries models that you might want to consider:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9327/surge-protector-suggestions#latest
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Thanks Bayliss...that's the surge protector I'm going with.  Many recommend it.  I'll pick up an adapter like you mentioned for those 50A outlets only places.  
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    wooper said:
    I just bought a 2017 T@B 320 (yippee!!!) and am piecing together the things I need for future safe and enjoyable adventures.  Some of the state campsites here in Texas only have 50a power, while most RV parks seem to offer both or just 30a.  If I buy a 50a surge protector, will it work on a 30a with an adapter?  The prices are all over the place and I also have concerns about it being stolen while away from the campsite.  Any suggestions and info greatly appreciated 

My good friends family owns Progressive Industries.  Or did until recent sell in April 2017.  Dad decided to finally retire and my friend left the company.  They used to be the only company with lifetime warranty, great customer service and all made in USA.  New buyers are supposed to be taking it overseas.  Don't know when.  But their policies and customer service has definitely downgraded.  My friend told me to get the EMS-PT30X for my Boondock 320S.  Best one for my unit, which I can take with me if I move to a different trailer.  Also with the portable, the pedestal electric can be checked at the pedestal before connecting to trailer unlike the wired in models, which will run the "bad or questionable" electric into the trailer.  If you find a 50x maybe used at a great price it would be good as long as you have the adapters 30 to 50.  It's just a 320 doesn't need a 50.  I don't recommend buying used electrical/ electronic anything, unless you just assume it will go bad soon.   Yes they are pricey, but you used to get what you pay for.  Now, unsure.   Maybe someone from Progressive will chime in?

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

@GatorEgg
    I got the PT30X and used it while camping the past week.  Experienced a thunderstorm and short power outage...was I ever glad I had it hooked up.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    There was a guy with another brand of camper who had an EMS, close by lightning strike and the EMS did not save his electronics, but I think it was a strike in tree at campsite.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @GatorEgg I purchased my progressive industrys power monitor in may and it had a made in mexico sticker on the box.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Your tab does not need more than 30Amps. I believe the inlet on the trailer is a 30A type. You can buy a surge arrester as big as you like in current, you just have to match the in and out connections. For my tab 400 I bought the 30Amp internal version and mounted it on the floor under the 3way fridge. The remote panel I mounted under the heater bypass switch so I can connect up then open the heater access door and check the voltage and check for faults.
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I use a 50 amp portable PI EMS with no problems.  I just use a 50 to 30 amp adapter if plugging into a 30 amp outlet.  Otherwise, I plug it into the 50 amp outlet.  I have a 50 amp EMS because I used it in my fifth wheel until I bought a hard-wired EMS.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed