When to winterize in Massachusetts

We have a 2018 T@B 400, that we bought in April. When should we winterize it? We live in Central Massachusetts. Is there anything we should do if we haven't yet winterized, and the weather is calling for frost? 

Comments

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Knowing your winters...? Now. Don’t wait for the first frost, because you know a hard freeze will soonly follow!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    I'm hoping others more qualified jump in. I'm in Alberta and our temperatures are dropping as low as -6C some nights. We've winterized now as we don't expect to use the trailer with water (may just use the Alde heater).
    Normally I judge by use of the trailer and convenience to get the job done.
    That said I don't think the T@B is at huge risk until your getting consistent temperatures below freezing. One night at -5C won't be enough to cause issues. A week with high temperatures below freezing certainly may.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    At a minimum, I’d use the blowout method ASAP and put RV antifreeze down the drains/work it into the black & grey gate valves. This is easily reversible if the weather improves. If not, and you later want to push antifreeze through the plumbing, that is easily done because there’s little water left in the lines to dilute it.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    If we can't get it blown out, is there anything to do in the meantime, like opening valves or something? We don't have equipment to blow out the lines, and we're going to take it to the dealer. They're closed through Oct 12, though. The temps have been high 50s and 60s during the day, but frost temps at night. 
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    More qualified then what? Having experienced frozen fittings in my first year has earned me a badge of courage, and it was in far less frigid conditions then Massachusetts or Canada. I repeat, don’t wait. If you have to ask, then now is the time.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited October 2019
    The fresh water tank valve is underneath to the left of the door step. Open that. The hot and cold water valves are by the Alde, open those. The yellow handled valve in the same area drains the Alde water tank, pull it straight up. That will get rid of most of the water.

BUT, if there’s a sudden freeze, you’ll still be at risk because some water remains in the plumbing and fittings. If you’re concerned, the “no equipment” method is to pour 3 gallons of pink RV antifreeze into the freshwater tank and use the water pump to push it through.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I agree with 4ncar and VictoriaP.  Winterize now, especially if you are not planning on using the TaB - why take a chance.  If you want to try it yourself, all you need is a blow out plug and cheap 12 v compressor.  Either way, go ahead and drain your tanks/lines thoroughly to limit your risk.  
    Not sure if you have seen this https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/6r/eust2xvs5t11.pdf
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @VictoriaP, this is a 400, fresh water drain is on driver side on frame just rear of axle, it should be labeled. Open the valve there to drain fresh water.

Inside access hatch on outside of trailer near the rear on driver side you will find ALL other drain valves. Open the two low point drains and the yellow hot water valve. This will gravity drain all fresh water, you will still need to winterize, but the draining is 1st step and can be done with no tools or antifreeze.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    You can get sufficient protection from modest freezes easily.  Drain your fresh tank fully.  Open the hot and cold low point drains in the Alde bay and drain the lines.  Then drain the Alde lines (two yellow valves).  Open all the taps and then turn on your water pump briefly and run the taps dry.  You don’t want to run the pump dry too long.  Don’t forget the outside shower.  Open the city water valve, take out the screen and push the valve with your finger to release pressure and accumulated water.  If you have any RV antifreeze, pour some down the traps in the kitchen, bath sink and shower.  I would NOT put antifreeze in the fresh tank. You have a 400 and the 400 has a known problem pumping water out of the bottom quarter of the tank.  It would take way too much antifreeze to fill the tank enough for the pump to take it up into the system efficiently.  Finally, go into the wardrobe and take the clear plastic bowl off the water pump and dump it out. 

This is not a complete winterizing, but it will get you by if you have an unexpected mild cold snap.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    Well, thanks to a very kind member of this forum who happens to live in the next town, we are now winterized. Lines have been blown out and faucets (and toilet) are running pink. Best of all, we know what to do next time! This forum is the best. 
  • Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    I'm in Minnesota and the T@B was winterized before our trip the last week of Sept.  Good thing too as it got below freezing a few nights with snow.  
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    At the risk of sounding like a wise guy, you need to winterize before things freeze. When exactly that is will vary depending upon your specific location, so there is no one-size-fits-all answer.
    That said, I agree with @JEB that you can buy a measure of protection just by draining your tanks and lines while waiting to get in with your dealer. When lines are full freezing water has no place to expand so it cracks the line. Getting the majority of the water out may buy you a little wiggle room should the mercury dip below 32F.
    2015 T@B S