how to retrieve flash light drop into waterpump area

Winterizing the trailer today, I accidentally drop the flash light and can't reach it and it went deep down
anyway to retrieve it ? or do I have to remove the bottom cover?

Comments

• chutychuty Member Posts: 17
    It's a 2019 320 s BD Edge
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2019
    I'd say get a new flashlight!
    I'd think it would require major surgery, ie: cutting a hole in the bathroom wall, or kitchen cupboard wall, or a hole through the front of the Tab....
    Definitely not worth it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Metal flashlight or plastic? If metal, tie a strong magnet to a string and try to catch it, if plastic, get another flashlight, if it was your iPhone flashlight, I’d consider cutting some holes!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

@jgram2 it's a free flashlight from harbor freight that have a magnet on it back,
    I will try your string with a magnet method , if it doesn't work then i just have to get another free one next time i am at harbor freight.  :) 
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @chuty Good luck Fishing!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    One easy, though not sure, option would be to unscrew the access panel that runs alongside the television. I went through an excruciating process of running a wire from the battery to the converter area using the pump access panel. Only later did I realize this other panel was there. It might give you visibility to one side and bottom of the pump compartment area.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
    @dCliffhanger I am not good with these thing ,so i'll try the string method and if doesn't work then i will have some rattle to deal with:)
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @chuty, if you can see the flashlight (maybe with the aid of a mirror?), you might consider using one of those tools with a telescoping magnet that can be used to retrieve dropped screws, etc.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

thank you all ,i know i can count on you guys for great idea
    @Bayliss that is another good advice that i can try thanks
  • MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    Since it has a magnet on it you might even get it with a coat hanger, possibly make a little coil on the end you insert for more surface area.

For future reference, tie a string on any tool you're using in that opening BEFORE putting it in there. I used one of those flashlights tied to a string to diagnose a leak, I was able to lower it to the bottom where it provided great lighting for a video I took while running the pump.
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    It will be worth whatever effort it takes to remove it. The batteries will eventually leach acid. 
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @ScottG, simple!¡! =)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • seajeeperseajeeper Member Posts: 37
    There is a removable panel on the wall of the lower cabinet, you may be able to reach it from there, depending on where it ended up.

2016 Max S, 2011 Volvo XC60

@seajeeper and @ dCliffhanger my friend came over and help remove both of the area mentioned and still nowhere to get to it, but i manage to learn a lot of my CuT@b :)

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    seajeeper said:
    There is a removable panel on the wall of the lower cabinet, you may be able to reach it from there, depending on where it ended up.
    Lucky you. IIRC, all I got was a hole there. I had to make a panel so stuff would stop falling under the toilet.  :-)
    I agree it would be quite a reach from there to the area behind the toilet.
    2015 T@B S
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I think you have a permanently installed flashlight!   I lost a credit card one time down the front heat run on an old Chevy van and never could retrieve it without dismantling the dashboard.  Moments like this are time to take pause, weigh your options and know that your time/energy can be better spent in other endeavors.  Flashlights are cheap and even if the batteries do leach a little acid it will all be contained within the body of the light and won’t be anything to worry about.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I lost my phone in that area, once. I called a friend with long, skinny arms.

I have also lost a fuse inside of the convertor. I used a scope like @TabberJohn shared.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Since it has a magnet on it you might even get it with a coat hanger, possibly make a little coil on the end you insert for more surface area.

For future reference, tie a string on any tool you're using in that opening BEFORE putting it in there. I used one of those flashlights tied to a string to diagnose a leak, I was able to lower it to the bottom where it provided great lighting for a video I took while running the pump.
    So as not to derail this discussion, would you please tell me about your leak via private message?  What the problem was and how you fixed it? We have a leak that turns out to be intermittent, so Austin couldn’t find or repair it. I suspect we might have to at least troubleshoot it ourselves. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York