Options

Hypothetically... 20 years from now...

I've been reading a little on restored vintage trailers and the basic steps in the process, which got me to wondering about TaBs.  Are they built in such a way that, 20 or 30 years from now, one could be restored to something like its original condition?  Or are they so carefully & specifically fabricated that it wouldn't be practically possible?

To put it another way: Does it have strong bones which could handle heavy restoration?

Vintage trailers seem to be more...basic.  Aluminum, glass, wood, steel, etc.  Take it apart, rebuild, replace, recover, etc.  Obviously different techniques and materials from a house, but the same general concept.  How might a TaB respond to that kind of treatment?  

I'm not asking for specifics--just general impressions from people who know a TaB inside and out. 

Say I got one now and used it for 20 years, doing basic upkeep and maintenance.  At that point, do you suppose the fundamental structure would support a restoration/renovation project, should one be needed?

..... I'm not sure I'm asking this right, but I'll wait and see which parts need clarification.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I purchased a 2006 Elkhart LG Teardrop in 2012, a 2011 Pleasant Valley Silver Shadow in 2013, a 2014 T@B S Max in 2015 and a new 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite in 2018. 

I have every bit of confidence that all but the first teardrop will still be in use in 15 years. And I expect the 2019 400 will be a vintage in 20 years and I hope to still be alive to own her then. If an error in production is made, nüCamp RV stands behind it to correct the problem. Parts are interchangeable between the models. Well known US and European parts are used in the production of these models, some that have been in production in Europe for many years. 

I honestly believe I own a pre-vintage T&B 400 Boondock Lite. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2019
    I can't think of any part of the Tab that isn't repairable/replaceable.
    I haven't done (or seen) any patching of the skin itself, but the plastic trim 'glues up nice' when you crack it (don't ask how I know :|) I've read of folks replacing the floor on some older ones, when they were wood. I'm not sure if the floor is wood any more.
    If you look over the many various mods and custom upgrades that folks have done, it's pretty clear, as Verna said, that the parts are standard RV parts.
    It does look to be a good 'investment'. When I see the manufacturer add improvements, I grit my teeth, because that seems to be the only thing that makes my older tab lose value!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Sorry folks, RV is not an investment, unless maybe if you had bought an Airstream. Most lose half their value as soon as you drive them off the lot. T@Bs seem to be holding their value better than others probably because of the build quality and because babyboomer's nostalgic demand. The most important part of the trailer, the frame, probably won't last 20 years and still be safe. You will have to put in a lot of effort in maintaining the critical parts of the trailer for it to last that long. The only trailers I've seen last that long are all aluminium Airstreams and fiberglass Scamps, and still needing major frame restorations.
    My advice, enjoy it now.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It really depends on how long and how badly it was neglected. With decent care and maintenance your Tab could be used for decades.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    So many parts are replaceable, even the frame, that as @Dalehelman says, if you take care of it, it can last as long as the vintage trailers of the decades gone by. If you ignore the regular maintenance, it won’t last as long. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    faithfaith Member Posts: 7
    webers3 said:
    Sorry folks, RV is not an investment, unless maybe if you had bought an Airstream. Most lose half their value as soon as you drive them off the lot. T@Bs seem to be holding their value better than others probably because of the build quality and because babyboomer's nostalgic demand. The most important part of the trailer, the frame, probably won't last 20 years and still be safe. You will have to put in a lot of effort in maintaining the critical parts of the trailer for it to last that long. The only trailers I've seen last that long are all aluminium Airstreams and fiberglass Scamps, and still needing major frame restorations.
    My advice, enjoy it now.
    So how long would you expect a TaB to be usable?

What would happen to the frame in 20 years?

What are the critical parts that would require a lot of effort to maintain?

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited November 2019
    The questions are too vague.  Very answer should include a depends.....

So how long would you expect a TaB to be usable?   A full time user will have a shorter life than say a weekend warrior or occasional user,   Indoor storage will help it last longer than those left in a driveway or in the back yard.  UV, water and heat cycles are all bad on the trailer.

What would happen to the frame in 20 years?  again it depends on where and when.  depends on how the internal load is balance and if the weight is excessive  Northeast being driven on salty roads,  rusted to nothing without proper maintnenance.....southwest off roading,   one boulder away from the scrap yard.    weekend warrior summer only could be forever.  

What are the critical parts that would require a lot of effort to maintain?  Wheel bearings,  batterys,  winterizing,  black and grey tanks.     You can spend as much or as little time as you want maintaining them,   an ounce of prevention is worth the time spent.     

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @faith

Haven’t really thought about how long I would expect the T@B to be usable, we bought it with a 3-5 year plan to travel, enjoy and then to re-evaluate. To me the frame, axle and the hitch are the critical parts that will need care and maintenance. There are many owners here with great knowledge and mechanical, electrical, plumbing and carpentry skills that are able to spot and repair major issues as they come up not to mention the great mods, I don’t have these skills so if anything major happens I have to find a RV dealer or a repair shop. Given the beating the camper takes on Northeast roads I would think at some point I should have the frame inspected to be sure it’s safe. The older the camper the more maintenance it will require, this is what I mean by great effort. Maybe some long time owners can comment on how they ensure that the critical components of their T@B are up to par, especially the frame.

Question you should ask yourself is:  would I buy a 20 year old T@B and why?

2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    webers3 said:
    @faith

Haven’t really thought about how long I would expect the T@B to be usable, we bought it with a 3-5 year plan to travel, enjoy and then to re-evaluate. To me the frame, axle and the hitch are the critical parts that will need care and maintenance. There are many owners here with great knowledge and mechanical, electrical, plumbing and carpentry skills that are able to spot and repair major issues as they come up not to mention the great mods, I don’t have these skills so if anything major happens I have to find a RV dealer or a repair shop. Given the beating the camper takes on Northeast roads I would think at some point I should have the frame inspected to be sure it’s safe. The older the camper the more maintenance it will require, this is what I mean by great effort. Maybe some long time owners can comment on how they ensure that the critical components of their T@B are up to par, especially the frame.

Question you should ask yourself is:  would I buy a 20 year old T@B and why?

Thanks--that's helpful.  

I'm not planning on buying a 20 year old T@B.  This whole question is hypothetical.  I'm just interested in understanding how the building structure of the T@B compares to others.  Suitability for restoration, should it be necessary, is one way to conceptualize the differences.

My questions are intentionally nonspecific because I wanted to leave it open for different ideas and interpretations.  I'm not asking for advice on how to restore a 20 year old T@B.

The rest of you have had helpful insight, too--thanks.

Think of it as buying a dog. When you "invest" in a pet, you know that it will die at some point.  You consider food, supplies, medical attention, etc.  You consider how much enjoyment you will get from the pet, and how much it might cost in terms of money, time, attention, compromise, etc.  Of course no one can promise that your dog or cat won't get into an accident or develop cancer and die prematurely.  But most breeds have average lifespans.  We can say that certain breeds are more susceptible to certain diseases, and upkeep is likely to cost more.  Obviously this depends on how the pet is handled, cared for, living conditions, etc.  But that doesn't mean we can't have an intelligent conversation about the health and lifespan of Poodles vs. Pugs. 

German Shepherds tend toward hip problems, so old age might include that hurdle.  T@Bs tend toward _____ problems, so old age might include replacing XYZ.    

Once a GSD is 10 or 11 years old, you can expect the end to be around the corner.  Once a T@B has ____ damage, you can forget about trying to repair it; the end has come.

If it's hard to talk about in the abstract, then make up your own specifics and fill in the blank.

BTW, all this feedback helps me clarify my own thoughts & questions, too.  Again, I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    With materials currently available, the trailer frame, floor, roof, headliner, door, and windows can all be replaced with materials currently available at the factory, or standard RV places.  Cabinets and countertops can be rebuilt by any cabinet maker. 

The upper trim on new 320s are different than upper trim on Dutchmen's

The clamshell door on the older Dutchmen's are slightly different construction than the new ones. The factory can redo it, but it's not easy.

The walls on older units are the item that is enough of a different shape, and totally different holes in the walls that an entire new T@B will be needed.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    FYI - someone told me they were quoted less than $2K to put the new trailer frame/axle under an older Dutchmen. The floor, roof, or headliner are more expensive replacements.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    I suppose anything can be restored if you are willing to throw enough time and money at it.
    The address the specific question regarding T@B structure, I suspect the body of the camper itself would be the biggest challenge. Many campers seem to be constructed much like a small house, with wooden stick framing, fiberglass batt insulation, and aluminum siding--things that someone with modest carpentry skills could likely tackle if so motivated.
    The body of the T@B is entirely metal framed, with shaped aluminum and fiberglass panels comprising the outer skin. These may pose a bit more a challenge to repair, but--on the other hand--such decay resistant materials are less likely to need it.
    @faith, if you haven't found it already, there's some good structural information in the Resources library.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    ...The body of the T@B is entirely metal framed, with shaped aluminum and fiberglass panels comprising the outer skin. These may pose a bit more a challenge to repair, but--on the other hand--such decay resistant materials are less likely to need it.
    @faith, if you haven't found it already, there's some good structural information in the Resources library.
    Thank you--I stumbled onto some of those posts via direct searches, but hadn't found the collection yet.  What you say clarifies what I've seen & read. I can't imagine how one would repair a sidewall, should something happen to it.  But then, I can't imagine what would happen to it, either.

• Options
    faith said:

I can't imagine how one would repair a sidewall, should something happen to it.  But then, I can't imagine what would happen to it, either.

Someone could veer over into your lane and hit you on the sidewall. Someone had their trailer in storage during a severe storm and another trailer was pushed into it, and cracked the sidewall. Someone else had trees knocked over onto their trailer and dented the tops of the sidewalls. (Also the roof)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Mouseketab said: Someone could veer over into your lane and hit you on the sidewall. Someone had their trailer in storage during a severe storm and another trailer was pushed into it, and cracked the sidewall. Someone else had trees knocked over onto their trailer and dented the tops of the sidewalls. (Also the roof)
    Yikes.  Were they T@bs?  What did it take to repair them?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    faith said:
    Mouseketab said: Someone could veer over into your lane and hit you on the sidewall. Someone had their trailer in storage during a severe storm and another trailer was pushed into it, and cracked the sidewall. Someone else had trees knocked over onto their trailer and dented the tops of the sidewalls. (Also the roof)
    Yikes.  Were they T@bs?  What did it take to repair them?
    Yes, they were T@Bs. Honestly, I don't really know the repair outcome. I believe the one where the tree fell on it was totaled out by the insurance. The one damaged in the storm at the storage place was fixed by replacing the entire sidewall at the factory. The unit was not that old, so the side wall matched then current construction.

The issue with older units though, the factory changed the shape of the sidewalls slightly from the Dutchmen T@Bs, and then in Jan of 2020, the shape of the sidewalls is changing again at the factory, so pre-2020 sidewalls can not be replaced.

(They are constructed and pre-cut for the factory at a different facility, and are one piece units)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The only change is the way the from to side trim seals are done, and the cargo door (pax side) and Nautilus Sys door are different, so this may require upgrading the older TaB to the newer system.  Graphics are going to be different.  Our TaB400 was delivered without any graphics trim, so this issue is eliminated.  I would think NuCamp would also keep a few older side panels in stock for repairing pre 2021 trailers. 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    A timeless design that becomes iconic will always produce a passionate cardre of devotees who will go through great lengths to share their love with others. Think Volkswagen Beetle (well deserved) or Jaguar E Type (prettiest car on the back of a tow truck). There is something special about the T@B 320 that will, in time, make it an enduring icon within the RV world. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have had old cars all my life. They are always fixable and weldable. My truck is 11 years old and there is no serious rust on the frame. My Tab 400 is taken care of the same way, scratched paint is replaced surface rust is cleaned off treated and painted. After all it's only steel.
    So yes your Tab will be fixable in 20 years. If you maintain it, you won't have to fix it. Like a car, you can see two cars same year in completely different condition due to the way they were looked after.
    Even your "super example" Airstream will not fare well if not looked after.
    If Nucamp can build it, it can be fixed later. It's just materials which can be purchased.
    Look what has been done with a rusty old truck found in a field, it looks like new when it's restored.
    My Tab will see me out and I'm only 62 lol.