Options

Question for T@B Visor owners

2»

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    @DesertDweller, that's when we are taking our inaugural run with our T@B, the visor, and the window awnings she made to match the visor.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,503
    @DesertDweller congratulations! I’ve got both the visor and tarp awning. I apologize for not answering your questions earlier. Yes, I bought a hardware store tarp and used my regular sewing machine, polyester thread. Sometimes the XL visor is all I need and sometimes I want more covered area. Happy camping!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    @Homebodyatheart No worries, and thanks for letting me know.  If I ever learn how to operate a sewing machine I may try it.

As it is, I used the XL visor over Veterans' Day and it worked well enough.  I did make an enlarged opening on the driver side of the T@B and used a tarp set up on that side simply to keep the strong desert sun off the window and wall.  Even in mid-November, the mid-day sun is very strong out in the desert.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    edited November 2019

This was the awning and shades my wife made.

Tampa FL
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    Very nice!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    @DesertDweller, thanks.  She did a great job and they came out really nice.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 163
    @Homebodyatheart  Looks like a very nice set up.  I am torn between trying to make my DIY tarp work, ordering the visor or the awning.  I already have the side tent, but it gets very warm in direct sun and is really a bit much for an overnight trip.
    IMHO you will be much happier with either a visor or an awning.  I use the visor for quick setups when traveling as it goes up in a flash and can be easily taken down on a moments notice should a strong weather front be eminent or if you want to remove it quickly.  Whether you have a tarp or any outdoor structure, whether it’s attached to the trailer, staked down, portable structures, etc. high wind conditions will dictate when to use good judgement and protect your investment. 

I have used the Paha Que’ visors, awning and side tent on my former 320 T@B and the visor and awning on our 2019 T@B and we have really enjoyed them as they are durable, rugged and well made products. I still have my Paha Que’ Cottonwood XLT 10x10 XLT canopy with the sewn in Keder rope too as we use it for camping and family events.  

One thing I will say about the awning is that we have really enjoyed it on the 400 because you can raise the side flaps for more air flow and they can be also be lowered to  provide added privacy in campgrounds where foot traffic is heavy and eliminate some of the gawkers when you prefer to just sit back, relax, enjoy a cold beverage, read s book, etc.  If the awning is staked down it does take some good wind gusts, but my rule of thumb is that when winds start hitting 20-30 mph and above consistent or prolonged wind conditions it’s time to protect the investment.  

And let me reiterate what Marceline notes above, that the Keder rail on these trailers isn’t coming off the trailer and have never heard of this happening.  It would take a Wizard of Oz event for something like that to occur.  If that does happen and you are out in the hinterlands, just click your heels together.  😉

This is the awning we use on our t@b.  Only difference is we carry plastic water jugs (just over a gallon each when filled).  They compress flat when not being used.  We fill them and use them as anchor points instead of stakes.  Found at times a few State parks that have prohibited use of stakes for canopies and the water jugs allow us to anchor our awning on gravel/concrete/or asphalt. Plus when boon docking, it's extra water.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    K_C_915K_C_915 Member Posts: 36
    A game changer for me with the Visor is to add two additional lines to the loop where the visor is tied to the trailer.  These additional lines are then staked to the ground and have tensioners on them. (They are from my Overland Awning that is mounted on my truck).
    I have been in some sudden strong Arizona breezes and it has prevented the visor from flipping up over the trailer, cracking the poles.  However, even this system will not hold up in very windy conditions.
    I also have the PahaQue awning that as the other commentors say is great, but a bit of work to set up.  It does get a lot easier with practice however.  It also does quite well in windy conditions. 

2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 228
    I have been attaching my XL visor to the ground using a long stake for years

It has never come out out or  the visor turn inside out by wind

My engineer friend was impressed