Options

Stabilizers and storage

When you store your T@B for a month or so, between trips, should you have the stabilizers down? Will it harm the trailer?
2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
Tampa FL

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Tampakayaker, I do not currently store my T@B with the stabilizers down, but it is in a gated and covered storage facility with video surveillance.  However, I have considered lowering the stabilizers, because it has been suggested by others that it would slow down a thief who may not be able to easily/quickly raise them.  I cannot see any harm in storing your T@B with them lowered.  It's a good idea to lubricate them occasionally to protect against rust/corrosion.  A good type of lubricant would be one that does not attract dirt and dust, like the dry lube they sell for trailer slide-outs.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I always put the stabilizers down when I put it in storage (either commercial storage or in my driveway) or when the truck is not hitched to the 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Mine sits in my garage, and unless I'm going to be working inside a lot, I do not put down my stabilizers
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2019
    Is flat-spotting an issue?  Do most folks storing their campers use jacks and leave the wheels off, or just jack up both sides to keep the weight off the tires? Or is that just when storing for the whole winter? 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Some members exchange their wheels for garage storage due to clearance issues, but, I don’t know of anyone that uses jacks to prevent flat spotting.  We store ours at an indoor facility that houses expensive, collectible cars.  They only use carpet pieces under each tire.  If it’s good enough for a Lamborghini, it’s good enough for our TaB.  They request that the stabilizers remain up in case they need to move it.  @Tampakayaker, you may want to consider putting your stabilizers on plastic jack pads to help prevent corrosion down the road.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    I lower mine onto wooden blocks when parked. Partly to make it more difficult to steal, partly to keep it from tipping backward when I'm crawling around in it.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    Based upon Nucamp documentation, the stabilizers are not designed to carry full weight of the camper such as for changing tires. So, I would speculate that, though having all 4 down could relieve some weight from the tires, I'd speculate that they shouldn't be used to lift it off the ground.  I may be in a minority but for myself, I've yet to find a need to put them down at all. The unit has seemed quite stable without them. Though cranking them through their range of motion and adding dry lubricant once in a while does sound like a good idea.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I have questioned this and recently read through some Dexter axle information.  They say to for long term storage to jack the wheels off the ground to relieve pressure on the axle components.  I am considering this as ours is stored in our shop and always have the stabs down so that I may work inside at times. Plan on raising on jack stands on the axle mount but not on the actual tube.  Still need to clear the roof of the shop.  400
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I always put them down, even in my locked storage shed next to the garage. It’s cheap insurance. I also have @Dalehelman ‘s mod, replacing the rear stabilizers with 5000# scissor jacks. The instructions are on this forum including the metal plate needed between the trailer and the jack. With these the floor is more stable and I can do a three point level between them and  the tongue jack. Good luck with yourTab!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can lube the stabilizer jack threads with any good paste wax used in wood working.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Ours sits in our garage with stabilizers up on its own tires.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    ScottG said:
    I lower mine onto wooden blocks when parked. Partly to make it more difficult to steal, partly to keep it from tipping backward when I'm crawling around in it.  :-)
    Oh Scott, I am so with you here.  My side yard slopes steeply just behind where I have my T@B parked and I am always scared it will slip down the slope (whether or not I am in it).  Seriously thinking of installing a curb!!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman