Options

navigation and phones?

boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
which do you prefer for traveling, cell phones, laptop's, both, do you use a wifi enhancement tools in your tab to boost power, is there such an item,  google maps, i know is awesome, i would imagine that will be a great tool for us. we have trac-phones, and with wal-marts all over, new data cards are easy to pick up. i have had great reception and performance with our trac-phones, and every time i do a search and cost analysis over trac-phone and regular cell service with the big cell companies , it's a no-brainer on the cost. any idea's, or i would love to hear your tech-geek phone advice. thanks :)
2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    We travel with various navigation tools.  Only because we have them and don’t want to throw away.  Actually hardly ever use most of them. They’re usually on and we get a laugh when they make some comment during our adventures.  They have all lead us astray, down single lane dirt roads for miles.  But all in sense of adventure. That is the main reason we have the small trailer, so we can explore.
    Our Tacoma has factory navigation.  It’s fine and entertaining.  We have a Garmin Nuvi windshield mount which has guided us across the US in past vehicles thousands of miles. We both have iPhones with Siri, google, Mapquest and various other guidance apps.  We have never had any of our navigation tools “agree” on a extended route.  But the navigation tool we use the most is a Rand McNally Atlas sitting on my wife’s lap.  And the word’s from either of us, “that looks neat, let’s go there”.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    edited December 2019
    The Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer is where I start. Available for every state, they are highly detailed but allows you to see the big picture in a way that teeny screens don't. No power supply required, either.  ;-)
    If something looks particularly challenging to find, I might plug it into my aging GPS to help me get there.
    Delorme was bought by navigation giant Garmin a few years back. So far they seems to be continuing to publish the A&G, but who knows if the commitment will be long term.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    that was perfect gator, thanks, my wife and i as well use the same concept with our delorme state to state detailed map books. good response, appreciate it :)
    2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I use both an Atlas for overall route planning and a Garmin vehicle navigation unit. I find I like using a purpose designed navigation system over a phone.

Once a general route is planned, I program it into the Garmin and then make sure it is going on route I want, editing if need be. Once that is done I pretty much listen to to what Garmin says UNLESS it looks wrong. You still have to use you thinking skills sometimes!

The problem with an Atlas only is local street level navigation in areas you don't know. The Atlas will not have the detail to navigate at the that level unless you have a local detailed map for each area.

Almost ALL navigation systems purchase and license road layer data for some third party. Often a whole slew of devices from phones to built in navigation systems will be using the same database of incomplete or wrong data. That is how people end up in places with SAR activated and quite often make the news with tragic results. If it looks sketch, don't make that turn!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    edited December 2019
    My advice:
    1.  Decide what service you need, data rate, voice.
    2.  Do on-line research to find who supports your requirements in the geographic area you will travel in
    2.  Select a plan that supports the above
    Ain't hard but does require some of your time.

I use T-Mobile for low price and good data rates.  Had Verizon with good coverage but their billing kept sticking me with phantom charges and fees.  Got tired of challenging them every month...  Don't think any carrier is perfect.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg