More Storage for the Solo Traveller

I wasn't using the passenger seat area and was tired of moving stuff from one location to another in the cabin.  Found these at the Container Store.  Perfect fit for the area:

Added two smaller drawers on top:

The smaller drawers can be faced toward the front of the T@B:

The drawers are fairly large (see pair of shoes below).

The large units are on sale for $14 and small for $6.  I'll probably paint the white frame to match the Norcold grey and devise some way to secure the drawers closed while in transit.  At a minimum, I'll simply put them in my TV during transit.  They are very light weight and just fit through the cabin door.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    It looked like you left the big ones there and they had little ones! LOL :lol:

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    They seem to fit the space perfectly. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • TammaraTammara Member Posts: 34
    @Tabaz  I am looking to do the same thing. Did you need to do anything to keep the entire thing from falling off the bench?  Did you need to figure out a way to secure the drawers? If so, what?
    2017 T@B 320 S     Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
    States Visited Map

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    This is just a prototype to see how I would like it. VERY nice to have the extra storage! Amazing how just these four drawers unclutter the cabin. Will have a wood version made with a slide out table top (then can remove the Lagun table). Right now I place the drawers on the floor while traveling. If this was going to be permanent, I would bolt the left top and bottom together, then bolt that bottom to the factory wood panel. Do the same to the right side top and bottom. (Need to be able to get through cabin door). Finally, drill holes in the drawer fronts for a thin metal rod to be inserted while traveling (to keep drawers from sliding out).
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Great idea and practical solution. Now that I've been on the road solo for over a month, I realize the need for something like this - particularly clothes and shoes storage. I'd likely put do it on the other side (non-doorway side). Do you not use that under-the-seat storage area?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

This should also work on the driver side pedestal.  Right now I have a microwave on there and a Lagun table in front.  Will be incorporating the microwave into a cabinet on that pedestal and removing the Lagun table.
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Curious, how did you secured the microwave for travel?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

The microwave faces the rear of the trailer with it's back along the wall opposite the shower.  The vertucak post for the Lagun table prevents it from sliding onto the floor.  I had a matching seat cushion (with back) made to fill the space between the front of the microwave and the factory cushion that sits over the Alde compartment.  The custom cushion prevents the microwave from moving backward.  When I need to use the microwave, I simply toss the small cushion to the other side of the trailer.  No need to move the microwave.
  • DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 80
    Once again, I am "borrowing" from @Tabaz.  I removed driver's side cushions, moved the table to the driver's side so I could sleep on the back half of the bed without removing the table.  I then added wooden knobs from Ikea for hangers, coats, etc. Then I added storage bins (20" and 8", from Bed Bath and Beyond).

2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    I like that last idea. If you lowered your table, how far down would it go? In relation to the bench? I'm debating putting myLagun inside or out...I often bring a suitcase (dorky) and seat it on that bench....but I could just as easily keep it in the car and put it on the table to get stuff I needed!!!
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2018
    Wondering if you just put Velcro strips on the wood, and then the underside of drawers they would just hold in place while traveling - then no real need for suitcase? That is as long as they were not stacked too high. Then just reverse them while traveling so drawers don't open.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Aunt SueAunt Sue Member Posts: 15
    Where do you store the cushions that you are not using? These are great ideas! 
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Seaduster looks really nice, and I like your curtains! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    I really want to make that side bench storage. Now I keep all of the plastic drawers in the tow vehicle. Unfortunately that side bench is where my dog sleeps! 
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Great stuff. That's the bit I'm working on is storage. Thinking of making something permanent in my truck bed too for clothes, shoes dry food etc. It has to be waterproof and sealed from creepy crawlies. :-)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tundra57, do a search on Amazon for MTM storage boxes. While advertised as “ammo” boxes, they do come in various sizes to fit what you need to store n your truck bed. They are waterproof using a rubber gasket and plastic locking clips,  sturdy enough to withstand various temperature ranges and they stack easily on top of each other. I use a Sharpie to Mark what is in each box. 

I use one flat box that will hold 6 bottles of wine and that same size will hold a dead blow hammer, 3 lb hammer, claw hammer, pry bar, 8” tent pegs and 18” rebar tent pegs. Another size holds canvas rolls for sockets, wrenches and other various hand tools. A larger size is perfect for winter coats and winter clothing, and becomes storage for summer clothing. 

I used 4 different sizes and those worked very well in all 4 seasons I experienced last year while traveling. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have ammo boxes but I did not realize they came in large sizes. I'll check that thanks
  • DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    DaveC said:
    Once again, I am "borrowing" from @Tabaz.  I removed driver's side cushions, moved the table to the driver's side so I could sleep on the back half of the bed without removing the table.  I then added wooden knobs from Ikea for hangers, coats, etc. Then I added storage bins (20" and 8", from Bed Bath and Beyond).

DaveC:  How did you secure the Lagun mount to the front wood piece?  It would seem too thin to support the table.  Also, did you use a spacer between the mount itself and front of the storage area so that the table support arm does not run against the molding?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @DesertDweller, be sure to put an “@“ before a member’s name so they receive a notification.  Dave has not signed on since October, so let’s see if he responds.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    Thank you for the reminder.  
  • NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    Seaduster said:
    I purchased this ottoman bench on Amazon.  I use one side for dry goods and the other side for clothes.  There's just enough space behind the bench to add a couple of storage trays for misc items.
    Otto & Ben 30" Smart Lift Top Ottoman Bench... $34

@Seaduster this is a terrific idea! I will put it on my front bench (clamshell so that area is open.)
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @DesertDweller Referring to your question to @DaveC, I had this mod done at üCamp last summer. Yes there is a spacer on the front of mine. (same as one that came with original Lagun mount) What Marvin did to anchor the back was to use a piece of 2x4 inside for the long wood screws to hold onto. It's rock solid.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

@dmerzbac
    Thanks for the info.  I have been thinking about moving my mount from the center rear to the passenger side towards the front.