Options

Contoure Air Fryer Microwave

AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
edited February 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
After watching a video on the Avia trailer and seeing it's built-in Contoure multi-function Microwave, I wondered if that would be a substitution that could work in the 400. I can't use the microwave on battery power anyway, so I'm thinking the 1500W (12.5 amps) cooking draw would be ok on shore power? My current High Point Model EM925AQR is 1350W/900W. Haven't taken measurements yet. Looks like the Contoure only weighs 1.5 lbs more.

I need the experience and knowledge of the great folks on here to see if that's even a safe option before I pursue much more research. As a fulltimer living in my 400, I struggle with space for stuff and adding weight to tow around. Price is prohibitive, but I can justify it if I'm cooking/baking healtier meals at 'home'. Any thoughts?

https://www.contoureusa.com/copy-of-rv-185b-con-1
2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    An “air fryer” is basically a convection type oven (heat with blower) added to the microwave function.  How often would you use a convection oven and what will it add to your meals that a micro wave does not?  As for heather meals, a small crock pot slow cooker might be a better option, requiring less energy per minute.

I lived full time for several years in a small Kenskill trailer, that had an oven, which I hardly used, I found I could cook several meals while at school in the slow cooker on low, and come home to a hot meal.  I turned my gas off when I was not actually aboard my trailer for safety reasons.  Also you can not leave a stove/oven cooking on its own, like you can a slow cooker.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    All good points @Denny16. Just something I've been thinking about.

I'm not much of a chef, but really miss my oven cooked pizza and muffins. Micro is not the same for that. Also miss my jet-soaking tub, but hey, you can't have it all.  ;) First world problems. At least I have my freedom.
    When I had a a sticks-and-bricks home, I had a crock pot. Rarely used it, but I did use the oven. 
  • Options
    Another another outdoor cooking option that will make a pizza and more is a gas fired Skittle, kind of like a low dish shaped steel cooking surface, with a lid (to make it like an oven) over a propane gas burner.  I am looking into getting one of these.
    cheers
  • Options
    Thank you. I appreciate all of the ideas.  :)
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We carry a smaller convection oven and have made muffing, etc with it.  Usually carry it in the closet floor.  Also have a George Forman grill and use an Induction cook plate.  Do not use the propane cook top.  The microwave is probably the most used for us.  Several use the small Instant Pot type cookers. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Thank you @atlasb. I too use my microwave most and save the propane for boondocking. Refilling/lifting the tank is a pain. I appreciate all of the ideas!  :)
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    To answer your original question, you could absolutely replace the High Pointe microwave with the Contoure microwave / convection oven if there is space for it.  There would be no issue regarding the electrical supply, it is adequate for either unit.  Let us know if the switch can be done, we'd like to do it too!  Can't bake bread in a microwave...
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Thank you @rh5555. :) I've researched the dimensions, and the Contoure is a bit bigger, mostly deeper. I'm heading out so may be awhile before I get to a place where I can pull out the Hot Pointe to verify 'extra' space - if any exists, and update. 
    I'm not stuck on the Contoure model of convection/air fryer/micro.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I'd keep the current microwave...we have it in our T@G and love it.... for baking I take my 3 qt. instantpot along with us...homemade banana bread...yummy
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    OOOOhh that looks good! I've heard of instant pot, and goggled it, but it appears there is more than one, or knock-offs. I'm hesitant until I see one in person.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Amazonica said:
    OOOOhh that looks good! I've heard of instant pot, and goggled it, but it appears there is more than one, or knock-offs. I'm hesitant until I see one in person.
    This is the “real” Instant Pot, in the smaller 3 qt size most appropriate for a solo RVer. https://smile.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Duo-Mini-Programmable/dp/B06Y1YD5W7/

I have the 6 qt at home and love it for making meals I can portion out and freeze for homemade TV dinners (which I do take camping), but storing them for longer term requires a decent size freezer. The 3 qt is a better option for a fulltimer.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thank you @VictoriaP that is helpful to see it and know which one.  :)

In my 'previous' life, I liked to prepare and freeze portions. Harder now. My freezer is the szie of a single TV dinner. I do keep an ARB fridge/freezer in the Jeep on freezer mode, but only when on shore power.
  • Options
    @Amazonica as@VictoriaP said this is using the "real"  3 at. instant pot...it uses 700 watts of power..Frank and I can make a meal in it and have enough for our meal and maybe another serving after that...and I find using ziplocs to store our leftovers takes less space than a container...imagine stuffed peppers, lasagne and I made chili last night...yummy!

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Yum! I like having options...
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Anyone tried the ovens you can get to put on a gas stove? Bit like a donut with all sorts of accessories. Supposed to be able to bake with it. I did buy the toaster plate where you can stand up four pieces of bread to toast. It works reasonably well. But I do have a mini electric toaster which works better.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tundra57 it is the Omnia oven. Works great. After my recent move I can’t find mine😩
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    edited February 2020
    @ontheroad I've tested my 3 qt Instapot with a Kill-a-Watt electricity usage monitor.  It only uses those 700 watts while coming up to pressure, which might only take 7-10 minutes.  After the unit pressurizes, it "cycles" for just a second or so every 15 seconds to keep the pressure on.  After the initial pressurizing, it hardly uses any power at all. 
    I tossed my rice cooker and slow cooker after getting proficient at the thing.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745..I use our microwave for rice cooking since it's onboard already (currently T@g owners)...but stopped bringing the old slowcooker...love the instant pot when road tripping...thanks for the info!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Amazonica said:
    Instant pot, is a fancy electric pressure cooker with added features (yogurt, slow cook, etc).

The latest "in" appliance is the Ninja Foodi which is a pressure cooker with multiple features including air fry. 

The other new thing is the Ninja Foodi grill which air frys, bakes, roasts, and grills up to 500 degrees.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Just got the Instant Pot Duo mini 3qt from walmart,  $59.92.   Got it all clean and ready to run the first test with the 3 cups water.  No Go.  The lights all light up, error message tells me it has a faulty sensor.  30 minutes on hold to instant pot, finally got live person,  told to take back to retailer and swap out or go through all the paper work for warranty.  Looks like a good product,  The swap had better work or will not be happy.  Not WalMart problem,  but not the way to start the new product.  Will drive the 60 miles to hopefully get a good working unit!
  • Options
    @atlasb..hope it gets resolved..and that your next pressure test is good...made chili the other night in our 6 qt....now to try that recipe again halved..it was so good...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ontheroad said:
    @atlasb..hope it gets resolved..and that your next pressure test is good...made chili the other night in our 6 qt....now to try that recipe again halved..it was so good...
    Would you be willing to share the recipe?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP chili or the banana bread...or both..? 🙂
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Both please!  Thanks
  • Options
    @Denny16 @VictoriaP @atlasb  
    https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/instant-pot-chili/   I made this in a 6 qt instantpot....have yet to try it halved, will look for my banana bread..lol.too many recipes!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @Denny16 @VictoriaP @atlasb https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/banana-bread-royale/
    and here is the link for the banana bread..there was too much batter as I decided to use the bundt pan...so I also made a smaller one in another pan...of course I carry more than one cooking pan for the instantpot! Enjoy
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Thanks, @ontheroad! Looking forward to trying these!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Yes, thank you 😊 
    cheers
  • Options
    ontheroad , Thanks so much for the recipes. The new replacement Instant pot works great.  Did a Hawaiian Pork meal and turned out OK.  Thanks again,  Fred