Lund Box

DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37
edited April 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
I bought a Lund 36 in. Flush Mount Truck Tool Box from Home Depot and a smaller propane tank from Camping World, I cut 4 vent holes in it and holes for the gas line & Elect. It gives us a lot of storage.

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA

Comments

• RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Looks great!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37
    Thanks, Inside of box shows storage room, the stick on top is a yard stick to give an idea of room.

Barstow, CA

• RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    What size (lbs) is your "smaller"
    propane tank?
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    how do you think it has affected the tongue weight?
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

Dennis, I hope you realize that you will have to be very careful when you back your trailer up not to jackknife it very far so that the corners of your box  won't leave a "major impression" on the back of your TV that won't just buff out. I did what you did but used two smaller boxes. The back one is just large enough for two batteries and a 4.25lb tank.(Home Depot.com) The front one is V shaped for more clearance when turning, it is for leveling boards, wheel chalks, etc., and we always have plenty of etc.

BBchBum, tongue weight isn't effected a whole lot because removing the factory cover saves 27lbs. and the smaller propane tank saves 20lbs. 

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V

BBCH With the smaller Propane tank it doesn't.

JandJ I have plenty of room turn tight. I placed the box on the tongue then turned the trailer to jackknife it, to make sure it didn't hit before mounting it.

Rolling 4.5 lb. / 1 gal.

Barstow, CA

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Dennis, I'm glad the box will work for you, Looks like a nice fit. I am so jealous of your garage, is that a'55 in the background?
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Dennis, I'm glad the box will work for you, Looks like a nice fit. I am so jealous of your garage, is that a'55 in the background?

Pretty!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • lazulibuntinglazulibunting Member Posts: 41
    That's really nice! I looked it up on Home D's website, and noticed they also have two sizes of the same brand shaped specifically as trailer tongue toolboxes. I'm so glad you posted. My propane/battery cover is cracked and haggard, and I was planning to take it off and try to repair with fiberglass patches. I might see if one of these would work as a replacement.
    Lazuli Bunting from Utah
    2005 Dutchman T@B & 2010 Toyota 4Runner
    JandJ Thanks, the garage is a 30X50 steel building that was a retirement gift from my wife. The car is a 56 Chevy, we sold it the day after that photo was taken.

Barstow, CA

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @DennisHemingway did you go with the 36x24 one?
    Thank you
    Dave
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    edited April 2017
    @DennisHeming way gave me the idea to put a lund box on my Tab and that is what I did.
    The plan is to have two 100Ah AGM batteries, 20 lbs propane tank and maybe the spare tire mounted on the left side.

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    dsatwork, I want to do to mine exactly what you did to yours.  Love it.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm sorry, but I can't see where your gas lines go in. Do you have a grommet or automotive trim on the edges? If not, the sharp edges may cut into the gas lines. I believe V used a dremel tool to smooth those edges.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Looks great, @dsatwork. I'm considering something similar down the road. Is that a mount for a generator between the box and the crank? How did you end up attaching the box to the trailer frame?

Also, did you do anything to vent the bottom of the box? There were some rumblings in another recent thread about propane canister enclosures needing to have some sort of venting, but I'm unsure of the specific requirements.
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There must be an appropriate amount of ventilation low for the propane to escape and high for the battery fumes to escape. Look for a thread that mentions the federal fire code rules for ventilation and I think it has the information needed. 

Also, I agree with @Ratkity that there should be a rubber grommet or automotive trim around those holes so the propane hose doesn't rub on the sharp edges. It was absolutely amazing this winter how many things moved during travel that hadn't moved before, due to the rough roads. Protect where you can see it may be a problem, protect after you find a need. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    edited April 2017
    @ScottG Yes, I cut 6 2" holes across the bottom of the box and one a couple of inches from the top for the battery cable. I know there has been much discussion whether or not the holes are sufficient and whether or not a screened floor is the only way to go. So I based my decision on the concept taken from the propane heater on my back porch. They have a solid floor with holes designed in the base for the propane to escape.

I looked at several options for the holes that have wires or hoses coming through and settled on this material.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG9BAY0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I considered this as well but don't like that it is plastic
    https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-Black-Plastic-Sheet/dp/B00PF03J5S/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PQWXE3Z91XVHV6A3GEQF

I liked this best for the hose specifically but you have to buy a package of 25

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0709142

@verna In my case I'm using AGM batteries that don't need ventilation but duly noted for  those that do choose to go the deep cycle 6 volt route.

@ScottG Yes that is a low prow generator lock welded to the frame between the box and the jack. It's an amazing device that will allow you to just lock and leave your Honda generator. You can even run it on the tongue we just checked to see which way the wind was blowing and closed the appropriate window. Of course if that's not enough then you can move it off the tongue but then you better be close by because it will be gone in a flash.

http://lowprolockdown.com/shop/category/honda-eu2000/

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Thanks, @dsatwork. I'm still wondering how you connected the box to the trailer frame. Did you have to drill into the frame, or did you devise some sort of a clamp system to hold it all in place?

Also, did you encounter any challenges removing the existing brackets, etc. that were inside the original plastic tub?
    2015 T@B S

ScottG said:

Thanks, @dsatwork. I'm still wondering how you connected the box to the trailer frame. Did you have to drill into the frame, or did you devise some sort of a clamp system to hold it all in place?

Also, did you encounter any challenges removing the existing brackets, etc. that were inside the original plastic tub?

The removal is pretty straight forward, just 4 bolts and disconnecting the hoses for propane and the positive wire connected to the electrical cutoff switch. Removing and reinstalling the propane regulator and battery cutoff. I also removed the zamp solar plug and had to reinstall it on the box which was a little tricky with my limited drill bit selection. I was able to reuse two of the holes in the trailer frame that the T@b box was bolted to and added 3 new 1/4" holes 1 for where the new battery box landed and one on each side for the front of the box. It's pretty easy to drill through. Hope that helps, none of this requires a degree in hackery.
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @dsatwork do you think this would work with the Outback platform on the front?

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

dmerzbac said:
    @dsatwork do you think this would work with the Outback platform on the front?
    That was one of the configurations I was considering and I'm pretty sure it will work.
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    On my Lund Box, I cut 6 holes -- 3 in floor (2" holes) and 3 in back wall (3-1/2" holes). Used Stainless vent covers on the back ones. Considered the vinyl trim to clean up the edges, but love the vents.

Question: Someone on the Forum has mounted the spare tire on the side of their Lund Box. Curious how the box needs to be reinforced to carry the weight?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

@Estancio I'm the only one I know that has mounted the tire on the side of the lund box. 

I pulled the mount off the back of the Tab to reuse it and found a 3" x 3" 1/4" steel plate for the inside to create a sturdy mounting surface.  It works, but something bigger to spread out the mounting surface on the inside would be better. If you could find something that is 5"x5" and it doesn't need steel and it doesn't need to be 1/4" thick (that's just what I had laying around) 1/8th aluminum would work just fine. But spreading the area out over inside mount would make it more substantial. My tire will bounce a bit, so I'll need to keep an eye on it, to see if I'm creating any weaknesses on the side of the box. I'll try to get a pic this weekend to post.