Dealer prep and inspection questions

xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
My wife and I are expecting our new 2021 Tab 400BDL in about a month. We have had pop-up campers in the past but have never owned a hard-sided RV with all the amenities. 
As we researched for a camper, we read stories of people who took possesion of their RV only to experience broken pipes, leaky roof or other major malfunctions. When we go to pick up our TAB, we want to spend time going through all of the  systems to check as much as we can before we drive it off the lot. 

Do any of you experienced RVers have a checklist for a pre-acceptance inspection? One book we read had suggestions for tools to bring and basically said that every system should be checked. This sounds like a good idea, but to the novice, it seems a bit daunting. 

Can you give us a specific plan to inspect the TAB? What are things you did not check that you wish you had? 
We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Here’s a list that should work for either new or used to start with. I can’t download the lists, they’re about 1/3 of the way down from the top, posted by @Sharon_is_SAMhttps://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/129682#Comment_129682
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @xdr, you haven't indicated where you are from but in any colder climate, many rv dealers, especially at this time of the year, will pull a new rv into their building, plug it into 30 amp service and demonstrate the systems while on 30 amp. That's what our dealer did. Many systems operate 2 or 3 way, so have them first demonstrate while on shore power, then after all systems are a go on shore power, have them move the t@b outside and power up through the battery (12v) system and run the checks again. The alde t@b and water heater should run on electric and propane equally well. Same with the fridge. Make sure that when they pull the rv outside, they disconnect the water from the city system and test the water pump while on battery too. While we have had a virtually flawless t@b from the moment we pulled it out of the dealership, we weren't given the opportunity to test the 2 and 3 way systems. Make sure to test the outlets on 30 amp and on battery, check the lights both ways as well. We went in knowing more about our unit than the dealer did, so prep, be informed and open and close every drawer, power up and power down multiple times, plug in and unplug everything. Push all the buttons, kick the tires, crank the winch, put the stabilizers down and up etc. Congratulations on your trailer! Relax and enjoy, it's all part of the adventure!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2020

@xdr, my T@B (a 320 S) is the fourth trailer I have purchased over a 40-year period (from a 15’ to a 5th wheel, before the T@B.)  I agree with the other comments, and some of what I have included below is repetitious,  but here goes........

Initially, you can pretty reliably make this purchase without too much concern about defects.  That doesn’t mean there will not be any…….just less likely than with other manufacturers (in my experience.)  Remember, you will receive a one-year warranty that will cover any issues post-purchase.  What you want to look for is obvious defects that should be addressed before you take possession.  Also,  make sure you receive everything that is included as part of the purchase price.

The most important thing you should do is ask the dealer to give you a THOROUGH orientation regarding how everything works.  Keep an eye out for potential issues while you are doing that and make sure you ask any questions you have.  Don’t let them rush you through it or gloss over things.  BEFORE you pick it up, do your homework on the features of the trailer and be prepared to ask the questions you need answered.  Essentially, take the time in advance to learn as much as you can about the 400.  Watch online videos about the 400 and read through relevant posts of interest on this forum.  You will be glad you did and hopefully be ready to demonstrate to the dealer that you know quite a bit and have done your homework.

A roof leak on a T@B is highly unlikely, but it wouldn’t hurt to get up on a ladder or taller step-ladder to examine the roof for dents, scratches, or deficient caulking around the roof vents or other caulked locations.  Tell the dealer in advance that you plan to do that and it shouldn’t be an issue.  The caulking should properly seal the edges that meet the roof.  Look for scratches and dents around the entire exterior and interior, including the refrigerator, stove, cabinets, etc.  Examine the floor for defects or bubbles.  Also, look at the interior caulking to be sure it was properly done and it is both sufficient, clean looking, and without gaps.

Look at the acrylic windows to make sure they are not scratched (which can happen through improper washing - - we had our dealer swap out a window that was scratched.)  Check the windows for proper operation and examine the seals around them (and the entry door.)  Test the operation of the door and window screens.  Open and close the entry door, storage or other cabinet  doors, drawers, microwave, etc.  Examine the condition of cushions and woodwork.  Check the electrical, both the 12V (battery) and shore power (AC.)  You could bring a small plug in item (e.g., a small radio) to ensure the AC power works.  Better yet, if you have a voltmeter or one of those simple plug-in circuit testers, you can quickly check all the plugs.  Turn on the air conditioner to make sure it works.  It may be difficult to actually test a microwave or refrigerator, but at a minimum ensure they have power.

There may not be water in the holding tank to enable you to test the water pump (by turning on the kitchen faucet or inside/outside shower), but maybe the dealer will be willing to put some water in the fresh water tank so you can do that.  Ours did.  At a minimum, once you have educated yourself on the plumbing system and where the visible sections of the pex pipes are routed, you can always visually check those locations for any obvious issues (unlikely.)  You probably won’t be able to check the Alde operation, because it takes time for it to heat the trailer and heat water.  However, confirm that any control panels for the Alde, AC, or heater work.  The biggest problem folks have with the Alde is not that it does not work, but rather that it is not properly adjusted to heat water to the correct temperature.  There are posts on this forum about that.

The bottom line is that your warranty will cover most issues that pop up down the road.  What you want to accomplish at the time of purchase is to ensure that there are no obvious issues that the dealer can later claim is something you caused.  If you do that, you will be ahead of the game.  Good luck!

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    We brought a friend who took video of the walkthrough with my cell phone. That way we could refer back as we got a lot of information in a short time. My 320S is my first trailer, although I grew up camping in a tent trailer every summer and helped Dad with it. Have fun!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @xdr, these are all excellent suggestions.  I would add that it is difficult to “take it all in” during any walk through and you should not hesitate to return here with questions.  Many TaB owners put in a lot of homework before their purchase and do indeed know more about the TaB than a dealer as dealers frequently handle multiple brands of RVs and are often less informed about the smaller RVs.  If you have combed the checklist, I would come up with a few key questions that remain a mystery.  One I can think of is the new Nautilus Water System.  It is completely new with the 2021 model year and so far there has not been any discussion regarding it’s use.  The other systems are pretty well known and forum members will be able to help.  Relax and enjoy your new TaB!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    Thank you to all! These are great suggestions and it gives us a lot to work with. 

I really like the idea of filming the orientation. This would be super helpful to refer back to when we get home and start playing with it. 

We live in NM but we are going to Princess Craft RV to get the TAB. As we began our research, Princess Craft stood out to us as a dealer that was knowledgeable about the nuCamp products, which is very important to us.  When we searched for TAB dealers, we literally had dealers who said we could have 30 min for the orientation before they handed the new purchase off to us!

Thank you for the advice. I doubt this is the last you will hear from us!
    xdr

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited March 2020
    @xdr, we hope to see pics of your new rig. We love pics here. An inside joke, or for lack of a better phrase, pics or it didn't happen! Then, of course, we will  expect pics of gorgeous scenery you encounter and pics while on your travels and adventures! Good luck! Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Also, as they do the walkthrough, insist on repeating the steps yourself. Also have them spray it with a water hose while your there and check for inside drips. Make sure they use YOUR 30 amp cord during the tests, not the one that is permanently attached to their prep area. Use YOUR stabilizer jack for cranking the stabilizers. If you are traveling to pick up the camper, pick it up on a Friday or Saturday, and perhaps bring minimal supplies to camp nearby, and take it back on Monday morning for any adjustment.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    We are due to pick up our 2021 T@B 400 BD later this month (May 2021). First time RV owners and so @xdr how did it go? And did the comments above cover everything to look for. We have watched a lot of you tube videos on this already to prepare. Thanks. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • AstroTABAstroTAB Member Posts: 11
    We are also due to pick up our TAB 400 next month (June 2021) and this will be our first camper! We plan on taking a video of the walk through and continue to read as much as we can in anticipation. Can't wait to post a photo when we have it and make a proper intro in the 'introduction' channel, in the mean time thanks to all the experienced owners for their great info. 
    Ashley & Trevor | 2021 T@B 400 | Toyota Highlander | Niagara, Ontario | @AstroBackyard