Options

TaB 400 Dinette Table Modification

124»

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    No problem, and yes, I was figuring on a 1-inch table, but an additional 1/2 inch should be doable.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @Denny16. I can just do it. Including the inch setback.
    It's cut now and the leg refitted. Just have to get the hinges. I noticed you routed for the hinge. Does it not work without?
  • Options
    You can go either way, depends on the hinges being used.  Butt hinges on the bottom should work without routing them in, the drop end will just hang down a bit more.
    cheers
  • Options
    I went with the piano hinge and extra screws. It works right now. I am varnishing the cut I made then I'll vatnish the bottom which is unvarnished just got the sale of longevity (keeping it clean,). It certainly is heavy and made of high quality plywood.
    The hinges are cut from a strip from home Depot. Their door hinges were too wobbly for my liking. At some stage I'll get some better quality piano hinges.
    But I do like it. I undercut the table so the flap is about an inch back for seating comfort as you suggested.
    I am in process of coming up with some kind of catch to hold the leaf down. I think maybe a slice of plastic cable trunking bolted to the bottom of the leaf of the right width will clamp around the leg nicely.
    Thanks for the support with this project.
  • Options
    Grand, glad you got it sorted.  The plastic cable or a small bungee cord would work nicely.
    post a few photos of your completed mod.
    cheers
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 90
    I posted some pics last summer that got deleted because of size. I think I’ve corrected that problem here. 

I made my table with a removable leaf because I thought the drop down leaf would get in the way when sliding into the seats. It also substantially reduce is the weight of the table when the leaf is separated.
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    gande said:
    I posted some pics last summer that got deleted because of size. I think I’ve corrected that problem here. 

I made my table with a removable leaf because I thought the drop down leaf would get in the way when sliding into the seats. It also substantially reduce is the weight of the table when the leaf is separated.
    That's a creative way to approach this.
    How is the leaf secured to the table (besides the pins that fit into the holes shown in the picture)? I like the idea of getting it out of the way from your legs, as you note in your comment. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Here’s a picture of the underside of the table. 

I used the same slide supports as everybody else. I also used four dowels to keep everything lined up properly and a 4 dollar  window catch from Home Depot to hold the leaf tight against the table.
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @gande
    Thanks for that photo...
    If you don't mind me asking, what are the wooden cleats for?
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    @ChrisFix ... the sliding arms of the support brackets are just stamped steel and have some sharp edges. The wooden cleats are more comfortable and help protect your legs. 

I tend to overbuild things. If you notice, I also dipped the hooked pulls on the ends of the supports in Plasti-Dip to protect your fingers. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    You could have just made the Wooden cleats slide in slots with a friction fit and eliminated the metal brackets.
    cheers
  • Options
    I finished my version of the mod today using the standard table. It came out Ok for me.  I'm no carpenter.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Came out great, nice to know the table is Birch Ply, so the finished edge looks great.
    You did a very nice job.
    My only suggestion is, when you upgrade to a better (stainless is nice) piano hinge, use flat head screws 1/8-inch shorter than the table thickness.  This gives plenty of bite, and will not poke out on the top.  Is the spacer MDF or ?  A nice bit of birch ply would match the table bether.
    Cheers

• Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    @Tundra57 I have seen carpenters do work that isn't that nice.  Looks great.

We did a bathroom remodel last year and got a custom vanity built.  The design was really nice and it really fit in with the design of our new bathroom (gutted the old bathroom, removed 100 year old built ins, clawfoot tub and pedestal sink, moved door and toilet).  But I was shocked when we they installed it.  The craftsmanship just wasn't what I had expected.  I have built cabinets myself that are in our house that are better.  Went around with him a few times to get it fixed and I wouldn't recommend!

Anyway - you don't need to call yourself a carpenter to do good work!

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    @Denny16 The spacer is a piece of synthetic decking I think. It doesn't look like MDF. But yes it could be replaced for a nicer look. The hinges are brass plated steel. All the screws are actually 1 1/4 " and the ply is 1 1/2" plus they are designed for plywood so have a sharp coarse thread the head is large and flat like a built in washer to spread the weight over the hinge as the hinge is not deep enough to use countersunk.
    Thankyou for you nice comments. :-)
  • Options
    @gspdx thanks for your nice comments. :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    OK, good idea about fastening the hinges...
    cheers
  • Options
    Nice idea but I'm not paying the price required for a carpenter when I can produce a possible result.plus I get a sense of achievement.
    I did make all the cabinets and doors wy wife designed for the kitchen and installed everything myself, learning as I went along. It came out pretty good. Thanks for the thought tho. If I had to rely on an expert to actually do stuff, most things would be out of my pockets reach.
    Are you saying my result was so terrible compared to yours I should need a carpenter for real? I'm sure that's not what you meant. :-)

• Options
    edited April 2020
    No, no I was not.  Your job came out very nice, a very professional job.  I would put it up there with a finish carpenters work.   In the photo you posted, the leg spacer looked like MDF, my bad.

I was replying to the other post by gdspx, who had a bathroom remodel done that was not up to his expectations.  Sorry, I should have quoted him in my reply.
  • Options
    @Denny16 That's the problem with texting you can't tell the emotion involved and sometimes they get out of synch. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Keep safe.
  • Options
    No worries, stay safe too.
    cheers
  • Options
    KFarriorKFarrior Member Posts: 13
    its an awesome ides. could you give detailed instructions and materials, and where you got them into one post. id have ti hire someone to do the mod for me. this would be perfect since more times than not i camp alone. also. how does it work in making the bed config.  thank you. 
  • Options
    @KFarrior Which mod method are you referring to? Cutting the original table or having a new hinged one made?
  • Options
    Slyden9821Slyden9821 Member Posts: 11
    I love it! How much would it be if you would make one for my 400 including parts, labor and shipping to Charlotte, NC? 
  • Options
    Slyden9821Slyden9821 Member Posts: 11
    If you would rather contact me via email that’s fine.
  • Options
    jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    Very nice! If the table is 7/8 thick, did you just add a piece of wood under the table attachments that hook into the wall?
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    Tundra57 said:
    I finished my version of the mod today using the standard table. It came out Ok for me.  I'm no carpenter.
    What did you use to make your cut? 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO