Solar controller Question

With the battery switch off, I understand the solar panels will charge the batteries. Will not the controller also be active ? Turned Bluetooth on and tried to activate the App and it told me no device found. Any comments appreciated.
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited April 2020
    What trailer?  What year?

PS:  you have to be pretty close to the trailer for the bluetooth to connect.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, the solar controller will also be active.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited April 2020
    I always have trouble connecting via Bluetooth.  In our case, it is the Victron BMV with dongle.  It probably has to do with firmware updates.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    Hello Again,
    I’m still fussing about my solar controller. I’ve checked, and the led is on, but I cannot connect via the Bluetooth app. Can someone please provide Some idiot proof instructions ? Thanks.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
    Which controller?
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @RCB we are willing to help but you need to answer the above questions because there were a couple of different solar controllers used
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    The mppt blue solar controller- factory on my 2019 Tab 400. Just downloaded the abdroid app to my phone and stood inside the camper. Made sure bluetooth was turned on on the phone. Opened up the app and it connected fine. I can actally still be connected 10-15 feet away outside the camper. What phone and app are you using?  Are the blue leds on the controller on?
    Thanks. I have the MPPT 75/115 Victron, and am trying to connect via my iPad. There is no wifi, but zBluetooth is on.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
    @RCB, sometimes Bluetooth can take multiple attempts to connect.  Download the app to a smart phone and try connecting via phone.  
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2020
    The Victron MPPT 75/15 Smart Solar has Bluetooth.
    The MPPT 75/15 Blue Solar doesn't have Bluetooth.
    Got the right one?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited May 2020
    Like I said, need some idiot proof guidance. May have gotten the model number wrong, it is the MPPT 75/15 Smart Controller. It worked last year on the same iPad.  I’ll try again. Thanks.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
    @ChanW nope you were right. Its smart solar
    Im not familiar with ipad apps. But it has yo be the same as a smart phone. Make sure smart solar is powered (blue light on). Make sure your ipad blutooth is on. Then set ipad bluetooth to search for devices. The smart solar is always discoverable. When the ipad finds the smart solar controller, it will ask for a password. The password is on the manual its not 0000 as common. If you message me ill check in my little manual to see what it is. You csn download the manual on line. Both of my smart solar controllers work the same way.
  • rdennrdenn Member Posts: 1
    I was unable to connect to my MPPT 75/15 Smart Controller via bluetooth.  While troubleshooting, I found that one of the wires had come loose.  Because the wire connections are on the bottom of the controller, the situation was not readily apparent.  However, once the wire was reconnected, bluetooth communication worked perfectly.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @RCB ; I have to have location services turned on for the low power Bluetooth to find devices like my Victron.  Part of the new BT standard.  Should be the same for the iPad (turn on GPS and/or cell tower and/or WiFi location).  Just another thing to try.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Still trying to connect. The manual has a note about wi-fi - is it necessary to be connected to the internet for the controller to work ? 
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
    No, it uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone or iPad.  You need to download the Victron IOS application.
    cheers
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2020
    Are you using the "Victron Connect" app?
    Manual says features depend on model & refers to Chapter 11 (which offers bluetooth troubleshooting tips)..
    https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • rbrtmrbrtm Member Posts: 34
    The factory solar on my april 2018 '400 just quit. No voltage from either panel measured at the diodes in full sun. This month is years two of ownership. Any recourse. I see nucamp is using different brand of panel now.
    Call nuCamp service and see what they recommend, is your best bet.
    I assume you have the earlier 2-panel setup, nuCamp replaced this with one larger 194-watt single panel.  You might be able to get a partial credit towards swapping them out for the newer panel.
    cheers
    To close the loop on this subject. I can now connect. 1. I need wifi to connect via the app. 2. Must connect from the app and not the device menu. 3. App instructed to download two firmware updates. And Bob’s your Uncle.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • rbrtmrbrtm Member Posts: 34
    update: Out of Nucamp warranty. Nucamp gave me the Zamp phone. Zamp kindly sent me 2 new 100 w panels. They say Sunpower on them. Slightly different dimensions and they have their "zamp" SAE plug which I will swap for MC4 connectors. Looks like they should glue down well. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @rbrtm, Zamp has a 25 year warranty. I will not tell you how old I will be in 20 years when my warranty runs out on my Zamp 200 watt suitcase  B). My T@B 400 has two Zamp 100 watt solar panels and a Zamp solar Controller. I like Zamp.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”