Inside lights are not working again

OneWurldGurl1OneWurldGurl1 Member Posts: 21
Most Recent Post 
Thank you for the earlier replies. The problem seemed to be fixed by pulling out the fuse for the lights, checking it, the ohmmeter read 0, so I put the fuse back in and the lights worked.  Since then I have checked every few days and they have continued to work.  Until today.   

Today I plugged into ac power, (I do this every two weeks) and switched on the battery.  The lights did come on for about 15 minutes, but then I noticed it was a little dark. Meaning the lights no longer would turn on.  The only thing that had changed was that I had turned on the fan for the first time this year.  I checked the fuse box and and the red lights for all the fuses were on. I randomly pulled out the top fuse, unplugged from ac power, put the fuse back in, plugged back into shore power and the interior lights came back on.  I left a light on for a few hours with the fan running and everything continued to work.

I checked the battery with the volt meter and the reading with ac power unplugged was 13.0 

I have yet to check the fuse on the converter, I’ll do that tomorrow.  My Tab is still under warranty and I will call them, but I find that I always get helpful answers here.

Original Post
None of the lights inside my Tab are working. This is something that just happened, they used to work fine.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I accidentally let my battery die about 2 months ago. I did recharge it by plugging into shore power for a few days and all seemed fine.  

Two things have happened in the past few weeks though that are not so fine. First one is that with the battery turned on. I look inside and the display light on the Jensen is on and the USB outlets are glowing, but none of the lights will come on. 
Second is, leaving the battery on I plug into shore power, using a power surge protector. The power in the Tab used to come on within second, but now it's taking about 4 to 5 minutes for it to come on and while everything is off, the Jensen display is also now off even though the battery is still on.  When the power finally does come on the Jensen display, USB outlets and electric outlets all work, but still no lights.  

My Tab is a 2020 320 S

Is this caused by a fuse?  if so which one?  I did look at the PDF here on the forum for fuses, but it really didn't help me. 

North Texas
2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite, 2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 4wd, V6, Crew Cab, tow package 

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    First, I would check the circuit breaker next to the battery cutoff switch.
    Then check the main 40 amp fuses in the fuse breaker box, then the lights fuse, which should be labeled.

Just a guess, but it could be the AC/DC Converter May be having an issue, not providing DC power directly to the fuse panel, and you need to wait for the battery to get enough of a charge to work the lights.  If all else fails, take your trailer to a good RV repair center or dealer to get it checked out.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I would start by checking ALL the fuses for the light issue. A fuse either works or doesn't.

I also suspect the battery may also be toast.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited January 2020
    @OneWurldGurl1, a couple of things to do:

Take your battery somewhere and have it checked.  When plugged into ac, if your converter is working, your lights and appliances will also work with or without the battery turned on.

Plug into your 120v outlet without the surge protector and see what happens. Our surge protector does take several minutes before power flows.

When plugged into ac, all your lights and appliances are wired for 12v and power is supplied via the converter (power is stepped down from 120v to 12v), so your battery health shouldn’t enter into the equation.  The 120v outlets work independent of the converter.

I agree with N7SG-Ham - check the fuses.  I think that there is a light next to the fuse when blown?  If it isn’t a fuse, sometimes a wire can be loose.  

It is good practice to turn off your Alde before disconnecting power.  A surge when you next connect can blow the Alde fuses.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @OneWurldGurl1
    Your post mentions your T@B is a 2020. Are you still under warranty? If so, I imagine something more than a fuse is covered.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    guessing she ruined her battery.   the test would be.....with the battery switch off plugged into ac power do the dc appliances work....stereo and light.

It is possible that the battery is a near short and is sucking the 12 volt supply down.....the things starting to work after 5 minutes being plugged in lead me to believe that.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • OneWurldGurl1OneWurldGurl1 Member Posts: 21
    Thank you for the earlier replies. The problem seemed to be fixed by pulling out the fuse for the lights, checking it, the ohmmeter read 0, so I put the fuse back in and the lights worked.  Since then I have checked every few days and they have continued to work.  Until today.  

Today I plugged into ac power, (I do this every two weeks) and switched on the battery.  The lights did come on for about 15 minutes, but then I noticed it was a little dark. Meaning the lights no longer would turn on.  The only thing that had changed was that I had turned on the fan for the first time this year.  I checked the fuse box and and the red lights for all the fuses were on. I randomly pulled out the top fuse, unplugged from ac power, put the fuse back in, plugged back into shore power and the lights came back on.  I left a light on for a few hours with the fan running and everything continued to work.

I checked the battery with the volt meter and the reading with ac power unplugged was 13.0 

I have yet to check the fuse on the converter, I’ll do that tomorrow.  My Tab is still under warranty and I will call them, but I find that I always get helpful answers here.
    North Texas
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite, 2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 4wd, V6, Crew Cab, tow package 
    As CBusguy suggested, does everything work on ac with the battery switch off?  

edited April 2020
    As CBusguy suggested, does everything work on ac with the battery switch off?  

With the battery switch off the lights still don’t work. Everything else works though, fan, Jensen, the  Alde display, converter green light is on
    North Texas
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    With the battery switch off the lights still don’t work.
    Everything else works though, fan, Jensen, the  Alde display, converter green light is on
    Please clarify the 'converter green light' statement.
    There is no Green LED on the WFCO Power Center.
    The green LED you are referencing is something else; do you have an Inverter installed?
              Inverter changes 12VDC back to 120VAC.

The WFCO Power Center contains; 120VAC to 12VDC Convertor, Smart Battery Charger, 120V AC Distribution Panel, 12V DC Distribution Panel.

The front panel has access to (see picture)

Now with Battery cut-off switch Off, you state Lights do not work, Fan & Radio do work.

Based on past model years One Fuse is used for all the 12VDC lights.
    So if the red fuse LED is off then there is most likely a wiring problem with at least one of the lights. How to find 'the problem' might be complicated.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    With the battery switch off the lights still don’t work.
    Everything else works though, fan, Jensen, the  Alde display, converter green light is on
    Please clarify the 'converter green light' statement.
    There is no Green LED on the WFCO Power Center.
    The green LED you are referencing is something else; do you have an Inverter installed?
              Inverter changes 12VDC back to 120VAC.

The WFCO Power Center contains; 120VAC to 12VDC Convertor, Smart Battery Charger, 120V AC Distribution Panel, 12V DC Distribution Panel.

The front panel has access to (see picture)

Now with Battery cut-off switch Off, you state Lights do not work, Fan & Radio do work.

Based on past model years One Fuse is used for all the 12VDC lights.
    So if the red fuse LED is off then there is most likely a wiring problem with at least one of the lights. How to find 'the problem' might be complicated.

Green LED on carbon monoxide detector is what I meant to say, and no, I do not have an inverter installed.  

The red fuse LED for the lights came on the first time this happened, I pulled out the fuse, pushed it back in and the lights came back on.

This time though, the LEDs next to all the fuses came on, and the LED on top of the fuses as well. 

North Texas
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @OneWurldGurl1 ;
    Seems like with each power-on cycle you get different results.
    Makes one think there are original installation issues.
    Perhaps it is time to schedule Dealer Service.

An OEM Installation Guide lists this failure mode . . .
       PROBLEM: RED LED WARNING LIGHT IS ALWAYS ON AND FUSE IS GOOD.
       SOLUTION: Ensure affected circuit wire is not touching metal or another branch circuit.

Which means opening the WFCO and playing with wires, checking wire splices, terminal screws, etc..

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    edited April 2020
    If it is not the fuse, it is possible the fuse holder is loose?  Did you replace the fuse with a new one?

If it is intact, maybe the wire that supplies that fuse is loose in the bus bar.  As @MuttonChops quoted “SOLUTION: Ensure affected circuit wire is not touching metal or another branch circuit.”

Thanks all for the comments. I’m waiting to see if it happens again in the next month or to, and if it does then I’ll call Nucamp
    North Texas