Options

Dodge Journey Crossroad - I've found it to be an adequate TV ....

MikeDawn265MikeDawn265 Member Posts: 29
edited May 2020 in Trailer & Towing

(Title edited for search purposes.  Sharon - Moderator)

We bought our 2020 T@B and will be picking it up in a day. My TV is 2017 Dodge Journey Crossroad. I know that we are near our TV’s towing capacity of 2500LBS. The dry weight listed for the T@B s 1941 LBS. I plan on NOT loading the T@B with much cargo. Maybe fill the water tank for stability, but keeping the the tow weight as low as possible by utilizing my TV’s cargo space. We can travel pretty sparsely if need be. We are not planning any arduous mountain terrain trips with this vehicle. Please ease my mind and give me any tips that may help. I have a brake controller installed. Should I add a sway bar? I see there are others that have use the Journey as a TV. How did it perform?

Wisconsinites 2020 T@B 320 S - 2021 Dodge Durango GT Plus TV

Comments

• Options
    PS....We are planning on buying better TV in 2 years.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    See specs for the 2020 TaB 320 “S” models below.  Who you reference will result in different opinions, but the rule of thumb that I offer is to tow no more than 75% of the tow capacity.  In the case of the Dodge Journey, that number is:  1875 #, so already the dry weight is over 75% tow capacity.  Remember, you need to be able to stop suddenly, and an excessive amount of weight behind the TV is unsafe under those conditions.  Not to mention adding gear to your TV and riders - you may well exceed your GVWR.  I assume you have the beefier engine with your stated tow capacity.  Even if you can pull it on the flat, it may not be worth the wear and tear and the risk of emergency maneuvering.  Not to mention liability if you are found to be over limits.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    edited May 2020
    Since most experts recommend limiting trailer dry weight to half of vehicles capacity you’ll be far over that.  I’m guessing you’ll make it home from dealer.  A reputable dealer shouldn’t let you leave their lot.   Understand dry weights are before propane, battery etc.  Check with insurance company and state laws of liabilities of knowingly exceeding manufacturers specifications.  Also remember everything you put in tow vehicle, people, dogs, etc, counts toward GVWR.  Driveway camp until you can get a proper tow vehicle.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594

. . . 2017 Dodge Journey Crossroad. I know that we are near our TV’s towing capacity of 2500LBS.

The 2,500# rating is with the TV cargo limited to 2 persons with one bag each (page 408 of owner manual)
    Limit drops to 1,500# with 5 persons - - - sounds like you plan on loading TV equal to weight of 4-5 people.  Manual is not clear on Tongue Weight . . . could be as low as 100# on FWD only models.

Your Journey is not an acceptable TV for T@B 320.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Don't wish to pile on but you really should rethink the TV, if you can't postpone picking up the rig. Your numbers just aren't there for real world experience. Can you make it home from dealer, likely. Should you load up and head out for a long weekend...likely not. 

I was in similar situation with my 400. Well over 75% for my TV at Dry Weight. Math simply doesn't pencil out. So, new TV it was. 

Just one man's opinion...FWIW. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    We're not gonna be anywhere near a 5 person weight limit. 2 small people with minimal packing. MAYBE 100 lbs extra TV weight. I do appreciate the manual info. If you looked it up you would see the tongue weight limit of 200# and a GCWR of 7300#. I will be over but close. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    You already know the answer here, or you wouldn’t be troubled. Your tow vehicle isn’t adequate for this trailer and a sway bar can’t compensate for inadequate power, brakes, transmission, and vehicle frame. At best, you may kill your vehicle in a fairly short time, at worst, you may find yourself in a serious accident. 

Realistically, you need a tow vehicle with a minimum 3500 lb towing capacity. If getting that truly is absolutely impossible for another two years, then I suggest backing out of this trailer deal and going with a significantly lighter trailer, like a Tag. I’m sorry.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options

@ VictoriaP ——  I see your TV is a 2015 Outback 3.6r, which has a towing capacity of 3000 lbs . @ 75%  (which everyone suggests)  that would leave you at 2250. Your T@B 320 S BD  2019  lbs + 108 lbs for the Boondock pkg. giving you 2127 lbs.  That leaves you with a margin of 123 lbs .

Hmmm…

Can you please justify your comments:  “Realistically, you need a tow vehicle with a minimum 3500 lb towing capacity and “Your tow vehicle isn’t adequate for this trailer……  At best, you may kill your vehicle in a fairly short time, at worst, you may find yourself in a serious accident”  

You also advised I back out of my deal and buy a T@G. Not to mention and you living the the mountainous Pacific North West. 

Just wondering about that.....

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Shrugs

I don't know what to tell ya.   You get all sorts of advise here......I would like to think all of it well intentioned.    

But your point with the Subaru owner was spot on. Do as I say, not as I do.

But the bottom line is we want you to have a safe and enjoyable ownership experience and worrying about towing and making it point a to b will not help for a stress free camping weekend.

As forum members we can offer our thoughts, ultimately it is your decision.  Can it be done sure, but there is a price to be paid in wear and safety.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    edited May 2020

@ VictoriaP ——  I see your TV is a 2015 Outback 3.6r, which has a towing capacity of 3000 lbs . @ 75%  (which everyone suggests)  that would leave you at 2250. Your T@B 320 S BD  2019  lbs + 108 lbs for the Boondock pkg. giving you 2127 lbs.  That leaves you with a margin of 123 lbs .

Hmmm…

Can you please justify your comments:  “Realistically, you need a tow vehicle with a minimum 3500 lb towing capacity and “Your tow vehicle isn’t adequate for this trailer……  At best, you may kill your vehicle in a fairly short time, at worst, you may find yourself in a serious accident”  

You also advised I back out of my deal and buy a T@G. Not to mention and you living the the mountainous Pacific North West. 

Just wondering about that.....

Easy. I took it out twice with the Outback after being told by numerous Outback owners that “oh, it’s fine!”

It’s not fine. It’s just barely adequate. The 3000 lb capacity is iffy, but the 200 lb tongue weight limit is a huge problem, because it makes it basically impossible to get to the safe range of 10-15% of trailer weight on the tongue. If you look through my history, you’ll see I’ve been eyeing different tow vehicles since the trailer was a month old. I would have bought something new in March—literally was at dealerships all through Feb—but the pandemic has brought an end to my camping plans for likely the entire summer as I’m immune compromised. Since the economy is tanking, and the trailer isn’t going anywhere? I’m in no rush. I’m waiting for car salespeople to get desperate. The money for a new vehicle is already set aside, so if for some reason I *had* to go somewhere, I could pick up a new vehicle tomorrow. 

In other words, I strongly suggest learning from other people’s mistakes. Personal experience says it’s less painful than discovering after the fact that you listened to the wrong ones because they said what you wanted to hear.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Just wondering.... :s
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @MikeDawn265 Some possible options—do you have friends or family in the area who would loan you a better tow vehicle for your trips? Or is there any possibility of renting a truck that could do the job? Or maybe an older pickup or SUV could be bought for now just for towing? 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2020
    This is a popular topic and it is gut wrenching for those who have experienced the borderline or fringe of towing loads with a less than acceptable tow vehicle.  If you search the forum you will see that others have been down this road too and upgrading to the right vehicle is obviously expensive, but is the right way to go.  Think about your family and loved ones and what a life is worth.  Camping is an adventure and when you travel you get into inclement weather, icy roads and are competing with high wind conditions that suddenly come up, inattentive drivers with cell phones and texting, animals coming up onto the roadway, pieces of blown truck tires, wet surfaces, minimal visibility, etc.  Not to mention that brakes and vehicle components are built for the vehicle, they can fail, fade and your ability to steer suddenly is compromised by the added weight of the trailer, water in your tank and the push from the trailer when you try to brake. How much would you pay to bring back a deceased loved one should you, your vehicle and the trailer roll down an embankment?  And try explaining all of it to an insurer as these people know the limits and also read comments posted on public forums.  I recommend you buy a heavy duty vehicle around 9500# tongue weight and you’ll be better off and it will handle pulling the 400.  I’ve been down your road myself and can tell you that transmissions aren’t cheap either.  However to each his own as we all have choices!  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have to agree with the advice in this thread. I Towed with vehicle that had a 3500lb tow capacity and it was still a bad towing experience. 

I think those of us who have had inadequate vehicles want to see others spared the same hassle.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014