When All Else Fails Use the Front End

One of the things I faced with traveling with my eBike was that because of its heavier weight and my OMG arthritis issues, I was limited to what and where I could mount my eBike carrier.

I use a 2018 Jeep Wrangler for my tow vehicle, and so I needed a way to carry the eBike and the Hollywood Bike rack which is a heavy-duty unit to support the bike.

First came some issues.

I was going to just add a receiver hitch to the front end and be done, but the install shop made some shocking discoveries. The bumper that was there, was installed incorrectly. Not all the hardware was even on it. (Thankfully, I had never "loaded" the bumper to the max with the winch.) So even if it was possible they would have had to do some heavy cutting on the old bumper. That was a no go safety for them.

So I had to replace the bumper, which was a Smittybuilt and the replacement is from Rockhard. It has an integrated Class 3 receiver rated with 3,500-pounds tow/push and 500-pound tongue weight. So there is now no problem with weight. Together the eBike and bike carrier are at around 125 pounds.

When they installed the new bumper, they also fixed some lighting issues, and all lights now present are switched together in independent switches.

While doing the new bumper, I had 200 AMP alternator installed too, since this would help support the T@320S and the additional lighting at night, especially if getting into a campground late at night. 

Here is a look at the modifications by photos:

This is the before view (old bumper).

The bull bar lights were moved to the new bumper, and the KC light bar below them was added. Two A-Piller Lights were added. The fog lamps are KC. All lights are now properly switched. You can see the Class 3 receiver below the Smittybuilt Winch. (9,500-pound rating.)

The Hollywood Bike Rack, in the stowed position for demonstration purposes. It is pin locked for security.

Yeah, that is a big eBike. It is the RAD Power Wagon. The two black bags are removed for travel and the security locking cable for the bike rack is snaked through one of the tow shackles which have their pins wired for safety and security purposes. So no quick removal even if they tried.

Driver's view of eBike from inside. The T@B320S is visible in the upper right.

So I thought to give some folks ideas if you are in the same boat with not being able to mount a trailer-mounted bicycle mount.

Ballermaris
Tow Vehicle - 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Trailer - 2016 T@B320S

Comments

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    That's a creative mod but probably not safe and in most states can get you a violation for driving with obstructed view. You may want to rethink this one.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I bet the Rad can tow a T@g!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • BallermarisBallermaris Member Posts: 32
    I found a solution finally, but could not specifically name the item, but for the lack of a better term, it is a double-stacked extended hitch extender. Someone on another forum found the proper nomenclature and was able to give needed information for ordering the device that will help the trailer and bike to live together.

Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Ballermaris, I hate to say it, and you probably would rather not hear it, but I have to agree with @webers3 on this.  In addition to those observations, the eBike appears to block nearly all of your headlights and auxiliary lighting, so it would be even more dangerous during night driving, or in inclement weather (fog, rain, snow, etc.)  Since you remove the bags during travel, that will alleviate that issue somewhat, but not much.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    That really doesn't look like a safe solution and would be a bit interesting if you ever got into an accident with that setup...I have to think the insurance company and lawyers would have a good time with it.
    But that is just me...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    You,should rethink this, and get one of the Rad folding e-bikes that would fit in the Jeep’s back storage area.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    I have ordered an 18" extension with a double stack 8" to match the level of the trailer and to mount the carrier on the rear of the Wrangler. All that should be here on the week of the 15th of June and I will reconfigure the T@B320S for the new tow setting.
    Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I have ordered an 18" extension with a double stack 8" to match the level of the trailer and to mount the carrier on the rear of the Wrangler. All that should be here on the week of the 15th of June and I will reconfigure the T@B320S for the new tow setting.
    Please thoroughly check the documentation on your new extension. Typically extensions cut your tongue weight capacity in half...which means that if you normally have a 500 lb limit, you now have just 250 left to handle both the Tab and your ebike+carrier. Obviously for the most common tow vehicles used with these trailers, that absolutely won’t work.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    I had ordered a Double Stacker so that I can mount the new eBike carrier. As of this writing, it has not arrived, but I am attaching a picture of the hookup of the Jeep/Trailer. (Had to connect everything together to get the trailer ready to be towed to the repair facility.)

Getting things ready allowed me to get the necessary additions needed to make things work. The chain and hooks along with the miscellaneous hardware were bought at my Ace Hardware. P.S. they have chains with a capacity of 10,000 pounds if needed.

The eBike mount locks down to the top of the stack and is stabilized with heavy-duty cargo straps.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Curt/C18013.html

So the link is to the rack that will fit on the top tup by clamping.

I have to have the room for the bike, so that will be the best place for it. The weight capacity of the carrier is 135 pounds. The total number of bikes is one, which is the RAD Powerwagon.

I'll take a photo of everything when it is together. The extension coming out from under the tire was installed by the dealer. This was due to the 35" tall tire for a spare, and with the stacker, the rear door will not open, of course, so folding the seats down work just as well to get to stuff. I did lengthen the safety chains and added stronger turn-shackles where the large hooks are connected to for the added chain. The long black cable is connected to the wireless controller on the left side of the trailer A-Frame. I used a hitch scale and took measurements and everything is within specs for safety and weight capacity. With my rearview Alpine camera on the rear of the Jeep (sits inside the rim of the tire mounted to the carrier) I can switch it on at will to look back at the rig while in tow. With the rear-mounted camera on the T@B320, I will have a good view of the surroundings.

The 2016 T@B320S is at 2,000 pounds with what gear I have in it, though I am going to remove a lot of it before it goes to the shop. ( was about 4 weeks away from going on 1st trip too.  :s

Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited June 2020
    Am I seeing two extenders there?...one to get past the spare tire on the Jeep, and one to hold the bike rack? Or is the new double stacked extender that hasn’t arrived long enough to cover the distance needed alone?

https://www.etrailer.com/question-151257.html ...explains how an extender cuts your tongue weight capacity in half. The Wrangler Unlimited tongue weight limit appears to be 350 lbs per Google. If correct, that means that with ONE extender, your actual tongue weight—trailer tongue as weighed at the ball + hitch insert + extender + bike rack + bike—cannot exceed 175 lbs.

The trailer tongue alone, with the power jack pictured and the tire up front, should weigh at least that much to be within the 10-15% range that is safest for towing. I can’t picture how this will work safely with the rack and bike unless your Jeep’s tongue weight capacity starts at over 700 lbs. I assume I must be missing something?

Edit to add: Also, regardless of what the hitch is rated for, if the vehicle maxes out at 350, that’s the capacity you start from before subtracting for the extender. Many hitches are rated higher than the vehicle itself can handle. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    I agree with @VictoriaP.  Again, I hate to say it, but this too looks unsafe.  I would get a second opinion from an experienced hitch installation shop on whether the depicted configuration will be safe on the highway.  Some dealers will put anything on to keep the customer happy, just like when they mislead trailer purchasers that their tow vehicle is adequate for the trailer they want to sell them.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited June 2020
    VictoriaP said:
    Am I seeing two extenders there?...one to get past the spare tire on the Jeep, and one to hold the bike rack? Or is the new double stacked extender that hasn’t arrived long enough to cover the distance needed alone?

https://www.etrailer.com/question-151257.html ...explains how an extender cuts your tongue weight capacity in half. The Wrangler Unlimited tongue weight limit appears to be 350 lbs per Google. If correct, that means that with ONE extender, your actual tongue weight—trailer tongue as weighed at the ball + hitch insert + extender + bike rack + bike—cannot exceed 175 lbs.

The trailer tongue alone, with the power jack pictured and the tire up front, should weigh at least that much to be within the 10-15% range that is safest for towing. I can’t picture how this will work safely with the rack and bike unless your Jeep’s tongue weight capacity starts at over 700 lbs. I assume I must be missing something?

Edit to add: Also, regardless of what the hitch is rated for, if the vehicle maxes out at 350, that’s the capacity you start from before subtracting for the extender. Many hitches are rated higher than the vehicle itself can handle. 

I agree with the others that physics would dictate that this lever arm is going to create a lot more stress than the standard hitch mount into the Jeep's receiver.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    @Ballermaris, were you able to come up with a workable solution for carrying your eBike?

I was at my trailer's storage location this weekend and saw the below sticker on my frame.  I had not noticed it before (or, more likely, just didn't give it a good reading), but it does state, "Do not tow with an extended hitch."

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited July 2020
    You might get away with the short 4-6 inch extension shown to get past the spare tyre, but the second one is definitely not going to work, this setup exceeds the capacity of the Jeep tongue weight, too long of a lever.  You could use that setup just for the bike rack, but not for the TaB trailer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Bayliss, the label also says not to tow with a truck rated at more than 3/4 ton.  I wonder what that means & why?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    @BrianZ, I was not aware of that warning either, until I saw this recent discussion thread (there is always something new to learn in the T@B world):

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/132410#Comment_132410

edited July 2020
    Thanks, @Bayliss, I left my comment there.  It's the terminology that threw me.  (Does "3/4" not equal "0.75"?)
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2020
    @BrianZ -  I've always interpreted that as 'max ¾ ton payload capacity'... What's not right about it? 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    I stand corrected, @ChanW - and you're absolutely right, because I thought it referred to the GVWR classification of trucks, which does include the payload capacity, but it's more of an historical context it seems, than anything exact.  I just don't know much about trucks & never owned one.
    Thanks for your help.