Bike Rack for 2015 T@B 320

PdwyerPdwyer Member Posts: 4
I just purchased a 2015 T@B 320 and I would like to add a bike rack to the front of the trailer.  I am leaning toward the "jack-it" but I am reading mixed feedback on the ease of attachment - specifically the bolts that may require a plate that may or may not come with the kit.   Any luck with the dual hitches?  I have a bike rack and it would be great if I could just use that, but I am not optimistic that the dual hitch would work.  I read it adds tongue weight and there might not be enough clerarance.  Any feedback would be appreciated

Pet

Comments

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I got one, it wasn't tall enough to clear the coupler.   I haven't seen one tall enough to work.  We have the Outback so I carry bikes on the rack back there, and carry a Thule in the tow vehicle if we think we'll need to transport from camp.  Use the dual hitch so I don't have to remove the ball coupler.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2022
    @Pdwyer, the Jack-IT is easy to attach to the front of the T@B.  I installed it while the trailer was hitched to my tow vehicle.  I chose that method, because you first need to remove the front crank jack (three bolts, removed with a ratchet wrench.)  If you try removing the crank jack without the trailer hitched to your tow vehicle (or alternatively, with the frame supported by a good jack), the front of the trailer will fall to the ground when you remove the three bolts. 

Also, you do need the spacer to clear the heads of four bolts (see photos below), but you can purchase one from All Pro Adventures.  I believe that if you buy the Jack-IT from All Pro, the spacer is included.

The bike mounting instructions that the manufacturer provides could be written a bit better (i.e., clearer), but once you figure out how to attach and secure the bikes, it is easy to use.  Mount (hang) the bikes with the handle bars on opposite sides (i.e., one toward driver's side; the other toward the passenger side.)  If you have one bike that is larger than the other, I would recommend hanging the larger bike on the side closest to the front window of the trailer.  The Jack-It clears the front tub, so that is not an issue.

NOTE:  The below photos show the Jack-IT mounted on my 2019 320 S Boondock Lite.  I am not sure about the space available on your 2015, so take that into consideration.  Hopefully, someone who has a 2015 model will provide some additional input. 

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• I have the Arvika bike rack. Love it. You can have 2 to 4 bikes up there according to the chosen model. No drilling required.
  • jebjamjebjam Member Posts: 43
    I think your photos answered a question I have, but can you confirm that you can use the Jack-It bike rack with a hand crank tongue jack?  We have a new T@B 320 and love taking bikes with us on all our trips.  Having settled on the Jack-It after watching countless videos and reading lots of reviews, I realized the installation has the bike rack straddling the tongue jack.  Easy if the jack is electric, but with a manual side crank seemed to me this wouldn't work. I wrote Jack-It and first they said it would work, then said they didn't think so.
    Bayliss, it looks like you simply rotated the jack so the tongue faced the tow vehicle and voila, all good.  Is this the case? Any issues with the handle facing forward with the bike rack attached?  I'm excited to think this is an easy adjustment I can make during installation and use the rack I intended on buying.  Your last photo looks like you're set for tons of fun....!
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock / 2020 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Golden, CO
    edited June 2020
    @jebjam, "yes," I use the Jack-IT with the hand crank positioned as depicted in the photos I posted above.  There is no issue with the crank handle (no interference.)  My crank handle has always been positioned toward the front, which is necessary because the Boondock spare sits in the basket area of the Boondock platform.  Also, I believe that the crank handle can only be installed facing toward the trailer coupler (at least on my trailer), because of the triangle shape of the base of the crank tube.  I am very satisfied with the Jack-IT, so I believe you will be happy with it.

As an aside, I separately purchased the "Bump-IT" directly from Lippert Components.  It allows you to carry the Bike Wing portion of the Jack-IT on the back of your tow vehicle.  It fits in your tow vehicle receiver (see photo below.)  I added the red reflector.

(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• jebjamjebjam Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the info, and the tip - great add on to allow you to use it on your tow vehicle as well!  You know my brain recalled the jack crank facing sideways, and I realize my brain was wrong, it faces forward and has all along.  First dumb question on this forum (I'll let you know when the second one comes, it won't be long).
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock / 2020 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Golden, CO
  • PGSUtahPGSUtah Member Posts: 9
    @Bayliss. Any issue with raising tub lid with bikes on?
    @max_tab320s Any issues with raising your tub lid with Arvika bike rack?
    @PGSUtah, no problem at all.

@Bayliss thanks for your reply.  Another question, we have a plate with bolts that the jack-it will have to sit on top of...I couldn’t zoom in on your picture well enough to see if yours does the same, but it sort of looks like it does.  If so, any issues with this?
    edited September 2020
    @PGSUtah, my first two pictures at the top of the this discussion thread should answer your question.  I assume you are referring to the aluminum spacer that is depicted in the first photo.  It lifts the base of the Jack-IT tower above the T@B frame bolts.  As you can see in the first photo, there are two frame bolts on each side of the spacer.

I believe that I was one of the earlier purchasers of the Jack-IT from All Pro Adventures (in June 2019.)  At that time, they sent me three longer bolts to attach the spacer.  However, they sent me bolts that were only partially threaded (i.e., they had a solid neck for a portion of the bolt, with threads on the rest of the bolt.)  On my trailer, I have nuts that are actually welded to the trailer frame.  Therefore, the bolts that All Pro sent me did not work, because when I put the bolts in, they would only extend as far as the threaded portion.  I resolved that issue by purchasing fully-threaded stainless steel bolts from ACE Hardware.  I let Elton at All Pro know about the issue.  He responded that he would remedy that issue with the correct bolts on future sales.  Therefore, I assume you will not have any problems with that.  The photo below depicts the bolt/nut attachment under the frame of my trailer (yours may differ.)

If I did not answer your specific question adequately, please let me know.

• @PGSUtah you have to be careful not to bang your head but I can open it and go inside without any trouble
  • DarraghDarragh Member Posts: 5
    I have the Arvika bike rack. Love it. You can have 2 to 4 bikes up there according to the chosen model. No drilling required.
    Is that an Audi or VW? I suspect it's a toureg.