Options

Bathroom Door Handle Escutcheon - TaB 400

IntrinsicIntrinsic Member Posts: 15
edited June 2020 in Trailer & Towing
The outside escutcheon on the bathroom door handle of our 19 TAB 400 is loose rotating freely and flopping about on the axis of the handle.

Does anyone know how to tighten the escutcheon?

Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2020
    I think the outside escutcheon is supposed to rotate.  That said there should be about a 1mm gap between the handle and the escutcheon.  If yours has a greater gap it is likely that the handle is set too far out on the spindle.  You can loosen the screw in the handle and, holding the inside handle in towards the door, push the outside handle farther onto the spindle.  Then retighten the screw.  That screw may be pretty tight though.  I think mine was installed by a gorilla.  If you are not careful you could strip the screw head--then you will have a problem.  Don't push the handle so far in that it bears on the escutcheon.  That will create drag and make the door harder to open.  If you take the handle completely off there may be a large nut on the spindle that holds then escutcheon in place.  Again, don't tighten that nut too much or you will jam up the inside operating mechanism and again make the door hard to operate.

• Options
    LloydLloyd Member Posts: 34
    On our new T@B 400 the escutcheon rotates as well and this has scored the finish on the door. Not a huge issue, but annoying just the same.
    2020 T@B 400 w/ factory solar
    2015 Nissan Frontier SV, 4WD Crew Cab
    Cottage Grove, MN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    They all rotate, mine does too, just tighten up the door knob to get a firm but easy to rotate fit in the knob.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I confess, I had to look up escutcheon. LOL
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @JeffroNC I knew what it was!  One of those words not used much, but from
    one of those conversations of words rarely used. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Unfortunately, my familiarity with the word is related to plumbing😒
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    Glad I found this thread in search as I have been trying to locate another "lever and escutcheon" to replace the round knob on our 2019 400.  I have already changed the latch so the "knob" is in the hallway but as it is awkward for us to twist, we would be better suited to having "levers" on both sides.  Searches on Amazon and Vintage Trailer not successful for me.  Would anyone know where to source this part?
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Try contacting Customer service at nüCamp and see,if it can be ordered the rough a dealer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    mikewisniewskimikewisniewski Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2020 Tab400bdl and noticed a couple months ago that our outside bathroom door escutcheon loose and wearing on the outside of the bathroom door too.   We've had about 1 1/2 months worth of use in the Tab at that time.   I removed the outside handle and tried to squeeze the handles closer together to keep it from wearing on the door, but no luck ( I couldn't get it any tighter).  While I had the escutcheon off I noticed there are two areas on the back side that could be back drilled through and some very small screws could be used to hold it in place but have haven't gotten the nerve to drill them yet.  So mine is still loose.  We do like the handle and the way it works other then the loose part. 

• Options
    jerrilpalmerjerrilpalmer Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue with my bathroom door handle assembly. I am unable to get it an tigher as well. Were you able to resove your issue?
  • Options
    CibolaSisuCibolaSisu Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know the BRAND of that bathroom door handle assembly?  I tried Google image of the logo with no luck. 
    I am looking to buy (or make) a smaller handle, as the current handle is competing for space with some hanging storage I would like to use on both sides of the door.
  • Options
    peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    Doubt you will find it(if you do please post source)....you can order the whole assembly from NuCamp through their dealer network but it will cost a huge bundle and then there is delivery. Touring thru a brand new 2022 this week I see they have addressed my issue of 3 years ago and gotten rid of the knob and now levered inside and out.  I'd still like to get just one lever to take replace the knob (2019 came with lever in hallway and knob in bathroom which I reversed to ease exiting the bathroom) without having to order a whole passage set.  Also noted that they are now lining the plywood edging around the door with a steel l shaped channel rather than the brown plastic edging which in our case has split everywhere up and down.  Another winter project!   
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI