Happy Camper chemical?

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
edited July 2019 in Products and Accessories
I was looking for this on Amazon and can't find it there?  Also checked Walmart online & it says out of stock.  Where have you purchased this?  Thanks!
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited July 2019
    Uh oh. Pulled it up in my past Amazon orders and it’s listed as “Currently unavailable”.

Edit: Dropped them a note on their website asking what’s up, will post when/if I get a reply. Meanwhile, here’s their dealer locator for local purchases, and there’s a link on that page for other online vendors:

https://www.happycampersworld.com/dealer-locator/
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @VictoriaP  Thanks so much--hopefully they will get back to you!
    Woohoo!
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I just spoke with the company. They have run short of product due to high demand which is why it’s not showing on Amazon. This should be resolved in a few days. He also said that when back in stock it is also sold on Walmart. com but not in the stores. The original owner/creator passed away suddenly not long ago and the crew is working hard to fill his shoes, so to speak. Hope this helps. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    The link says the closest vendor is more than 100 miles away from me  :(

Woohoo!
    I just spoke with the company. They have run short of product due to high demand which is why it’s not showing on Amazon. This should be resolved in a few days. He also said that when back in stock it is also sold on Walmart. com but not in the stores. The original owner/creator passed away suddenly not long ago and the crew is working hard to fill his shoes, so to speak. Hope this helps. 

Thanks, Becky! Was starting to have a panic attack. This stuff is too good to lose!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @Homebodyatheart   Thanks for the info!  I also checked Walmart.com and it was out of stock there too.    I'll just keep checking back every few days.
    Woohoo!
  • 51chevy51chevy Member Posts: 31
    I just ordered some on eBay. Received it in a couple days. That’s the first place I look for just about anything. Usually beats Amazon.
  • ezusmanisezusmanis Member Posts: 20
    An alternative that I have found is NoFlex. It's an oxidizer that very quickly breaks down the waste and prevents odor. I personally found it to be the only treatment that works in my boat on hot Georgia summers. I liked the product so well that I started reselling it on Amazon.

One thing to keep in mind is that that an enzyme or oxidizer based product requires water to work. If you dump daily or are hooked to a sewer, these product really don't do anything.
    2019 T@B 400 BD Lite / '95 4WD GMC Yukon
    @51chevy  What did you search under on e-bay?  I just searched there under "Happy Camper RV chemical" and nothing came up.

Woohoo!
    lkc001 said:
    @51chevy  What did you search under on e-bay?  I just searched there under "Happy Camper RV chemical" and nothing came up.

Try Happy Campers organic. Campers has an S on the end.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP Thank you---I found it. :)    Appears this person's prices are higher than Amazon, so I'll keep checking Amazon for a few weeks.
    Woohoo!
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @VictoriaP resurrecting this topic.  Can you share your experience with the Happy Campers product?  Do you recommend it?
    TNOutback said:
    @VictoriaP resurrecting this topic.  Can you share your experience with the Happy Campers product?  Do you recommend it?
    ABSOLUTELY.

Some background: The Tab is my fourth RV with a black tank; the previous ones were all in the 90’s with my first husband, who handled all dumping duties. What I remember from back then was that dumping was a nasty job, and the chemicals (all pretty toxic stuff) were mostly just heavy deodorizers that were almost as bad as the sewage.

But having a fully self contained rig was a priority for me, and not just for use with #1. So when I started thinking about RVing solo, that was one big concern. Most of those nasty chems are still on the market today, and the Tab is so small, any perfume they used could overwhelm the space. Research brought me to Happy Campers, with so many positive reviews that frankly I was dubious, but the main lure for me was the fragrance free deodorizing aspect. As it turns out, it really has no fragrance AND really does obliterate the sewage smell (along with breaking down waste and paper). Everything flows easily through the hose and again, no smell. My hose is kept in a small ActionPacker bin. There’s no odor in there but plastic. This stuff is a miracle.

I do add a little powdered borax along with the HC to my tanks as a non stick agent.

My only caveat: dissolve it in plenty of water, don’t just dump it in your drains and turn the water on hoping it will dissolve. If it gets wet, but not wet enough, it will solidify like concrete in the drain traps. So pour it into a gallon bottle of water and shake well to dissolve, then pour into drains/toilet.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2020
    Grand idea with the Borax Victoria, how much do you add?

cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited June 2020
    Denny16 said:
    Grand idea with the Borax Victoria, how much do you add?

cheers
    I use the scoop from the Happy Campers, so maybe a tablespoon or two? (For a 320, might Google to see how much is recommended for larger tanks.)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Denny16, many members here also recommend a small amount of liquid fabric softener in the black tank for another amount of "no stick to the tank" prevention. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Thanks, I have not had any issues, but nice ideas to also prevent any.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    +1 on Happy Camper. I’ve been using it for 4 years and I have no intensions of using anything else. I do occasionally use Dawn when the humidity is low to help
    make sure the contents drain out easier. I try to keep Calgon on hand, but it is hard to find in some parts of the country, so I use Dawn in its place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Another very satisfied Happy Campers user with a new tale. At my last campout a month ago we had really bad storms the last night. After clean up and dumping I left both tanks empty, figuring I’d add water and HC powder after I got home. Well, I didn’t and the tanks were empty for about two weeks. When I checked inside the black tank it had a very slight odor, and zero “debris!” Both tanks are now treated again, still no odors inside my Tab. Leaving both tanks dry isn’t something I plan on doing again, but if I need to I know all will be well! I have never had the slightest tank issue, much less the horror stories I’ve read on other groups. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    Travels with Delaney had recommended it too.
    I bought some before I picked up my 400, and have been using it since new this past month. I don't have a comparison to other products, but can certainly endorse Happy Camper as simple to use, and as far as I can tell, works great.
    No issue with odors at all, and no issue with dumping the black tank whatsoever.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @verna just to understand, is adding Dawn/Calgon related to the Happy Camper additive specifically, or just as a “releasing” agent in the tank?
    @TNOutback, I use it as an added releasing agent to help keep the tank clean. I may stay in one place for longer than one night, maybe two months, so the extra help take the place of the sloshing around as it would be if I were changing campsites more frequently. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have been using Happy Camper in the cassette toilet and it is doing a great job.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:
    I have been using Happy Camper in the cassette toilet and it is doing a great job.
    Good to hear! How much have you been using?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    VictoriaP said:
    jkjenn said:
    Good to hear! How much have you been using?
    1-2 scoops

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Newbie question.  I ordered the smaller size Happy Camper (18 treatments) on Amazon, but the delivery period is vague, leaving me to believe it is out of stock.  If I order the larger container (64 treatments), is it a problem storing an open container (closed lid, of course)?  How hydrophilic is this stuff?  Will it turn to concrete in my garage?  Thanks!!!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

@PNWtabber, in 5 years, I have never had even a clump in my 64 Happy Camper container. It has a very tight snap down lid. You’ll use it, and it will be fine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited October 2020
    @PNWtabber
    You won't have any problems with the 64 treatment size. 
    I stored mine in the outside storage compartment of our T@B 400 all summer (and I live in the very humid NC Piedmont) and it has not become damp at all. It is really just like new - and is a truly good product. I can't see ever using anything else for that job.
    One tip to remember is to make sure you mix it in a gallon jug and give it a good shake to ensure it is fully dissolved before pouring it down either the gray or black tanks.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Thanks @Verna and @ChrisFix.  I cancelled the smaller order and ordered the larger package, which will supposedly arrive today--but then, my glycol was supposed to arrive yesterday.  Sigh.   
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    The last time I went looking for it it also was out of stock at Amazon. 
     I ended getting 1 of two left on eBay.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.