Options

Happy Camper chemical?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I got some from Amazon last month.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There is probably more demand for Happy Camper with more campers on the road this year. It does have a wonderful reputation. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    @GatorEgg, I cancelled my order for the smaller size and ordered the larger -- it arrived same day!  Glycol arrived too, yay!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    First it was TP, now it’s Happy Camper.  All those new to RVing buying up the stock!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    just successfully ordered it -- and received it -- in two days from amazon... and thanks for the comment about it turning solid if not well mixed with water.  that happened to me, and I had almost convinced myself that that white plastic looking residue was from something else!  I'll be more careful next time.
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    Finally prepping my trailer for summer camping, and I have questions on using Happy Campers. 
    1. The package says "1 scoop treats 40 gallons."  My black tank is, reportedly, 8 gallons.  Should I reduce the amount of Happy Campers (i.e., 8 gallons is 1/5 of 40 gallons)?
    2. Directions say to fill the toilet with water and add the powder to the toilet, stir, and flush immediately.  I've read suggestions on this forum to mix it with water in a jug and pour the solution into the toilet.  That seems more convenient.  Any caveats to that method?
    3. The package also recommends adding Happy Campers to the gray tank.  Anyone doing that?  Good idea?
    Thanks (again).

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Recently did a remedial treatment of black and gray tanks after having used other more dye and chemical "convenience" treatments on either tank while camping. We were getting quite a whiff of decaying organic matter each time the water column in sink or shower p-traps were broken.
    Former black tank treatment was orange dissolving packet and gray tank was a yellow small hockey puck that only slowly dissolved. With Happy Campers remedial treatment we mixed up a gallon of water in bucket with 1 scoop Happy Campers and added to gray tank through the shower drain and to black tank via toilet. Also added a capful of liquid Calgon to both tanks in this process. Then used garden hose to pretty much fill both tanks. Let it steep for 2 days.
    Upon emptying I had to capture now treated water in 17 gallon horse tubs so I could dispose it where I wanted it. Had thought I was pretty thorough at disposal sites. I was wrong! Besides using premixed Happy Camper in water for all future outings, we also intend to do the remedial treatment at season's end. Thanks to @Sharon_is_SAM and others for helping evolve that treatment!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I spoke with the gentleman who created it with that same question a few years back. He said one full scoop for each tank, no matter the size. Sadly he passed away suddenly a year or more ago, and his employees have kept the business going strong! What I do know is that my slinky wasn’t stinky even after 4 years and I’ve never had tank issues, so I’m sold!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    I spoke with the gentleman who created it with that same question a few years back. He said one full scoop for each tank, no matter the size. Sadly he passed away suddenly a year or more ago, and his employees have kept the business going strong! What I do know is that my slinky wasn’t stinky even after 4 years and I’ve never had tank issues, so I’m sold!
    OK, thanks.  I'll go with a scoop.

• Options
    We use less than a scoop.  If you apply the HC via a sink/shower, make sure to follow with plenty of water.  I have read that if is not properly dissolved, it can accumulate and obstruct a sink outlet.  
  • Options
    We use less than a scoop.  If you apply the HC via a sink/shower, make sure to follow with plenty of water.  I have read that if is not properly dissolved, it can accumulate and obstruct a sink outlet.  
    NO!!!!!!!!!  I hope I used enough water.  Everything with this trailer is a learning experience -- I guess it is good that I always wanted to be a life-long learner.   ;)   =)

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Agreed. Discovered this last year when I had to pull apart the sink trap for something else. Now I always pre-mix thoroughly with water in a gallon bottle before pouring down the drains.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I've only used HC in the black tank so far.  I put some in a small spice container that has holes, like a red pepper shaker. We just sprinkle it in randomly before flushing, by randomly I mean when I go to the bathroom, the better half never does.  If I were to clean the gray tank, I'd premix.  Never any smells so I think my method works fine.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Mixing the powder with warm water in a small jug helps reduce the chunks. That would be my one complaint. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    When I first started looking for the HC, it was somewhat scarce then too--I just kept checking back with Amazon and Ebay and finally found some.  I will the toilet bowl with water, add the chemical and stir really well with a disposable spoon, then flush it down--I figure that's @ 1 gallon.  It seems to dissolve really well.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Our gentle bad egg smell while using faucets was not due to incomplete cleaning of gray and black tanks. Nor was it a problem with plumbing ventilation system. Somehow anaerobic bacteria got a toehold in fresh water tank and water lines.
    Since our drinking, cooking and toothbrush rinsing water comes from water containers we can clean and see inside that we carry with us, the fresh water tank wasn't getting the attention it deserved. It's getting a bleach soak now. Looking forward to next trip with aroma-free water use!
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2021
    We bought a used 320-S a couple of years ago, I wasn't feeling well when we picked it up but I told them I would be there to get it etc. Spent 1 night in it and there was an awful smell to the water, especially the hot.

When we got home, I started to look at it closer. I am attaching a photo of the screen in the water line before the pump. No wonder it had a smell. Gallons of bleach and other cleaning stuff to get it cleaned out.

Worst part is, when I picked it up I was told "yes, sir, it is all ready to go for you everything checks out just fine". Needless to say, they got an email from a very unhappy person (me).

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    @johnfconway - glad you found the source.  If there is any algae build up, be careful as it can clog the pump filter and discharge valves.  Rinse, rinse, rinse.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM will check pump filter after rinsing water lines. Have to uphold standing as "good desert dweller". The bleach treatment is a totally full tank. If I rinse lines with a lot of clean water, can I go with half a tank on the rinse? We do not use fresh water tank for drinking or cooking.
    Also, how do most people deal with 30 gallons of bleach water?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Hopefully your bleach was diluted to about 1/4 cup per 10-15 gallons.  It is hard enough to rinse out the odor from dilute dwell solutions, let alone concentrated solutions.  We always filled our tank completely to rinse, otherwise you may have residual bleach when you shower!  

I have looked up how to dispose of bleach water.  It breaks down when exposed to air and light.  As long as it is diluted, it is safe to discharge into the yard away from water sources, ornamental plants, etc.  You can also collect it in a large tub and let it sit out in the open and allow the chlorine to break down.  Just don’t put it directly in a storm drain.  You can also dispose of it down the toilet or even directly access your sanitary sewer (not a septic tank).  
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, yes solution was 1/2 cup bleach in 30 gals. water. We compromised on the rinse with 24 gallons fresh water. Instead did several iterations of waterline flushing through 2 faucets and indoor and outdoor showerheads. Also emptied lowpoint drains a couple of times. No bleach or eggy smell to water.
    Assume there's no harm in leaving Alde hot water tank empty 'til next trip?
  • Options
    You should empty the Alde and Flow water tanks and your plumbing lines after a trip.  
  • Options
    You should empty the Alde and Flow water tanks and your plumbing lines after a trip.  
    What is "flow" water tank?  And thanks for the tip, I didn't think about emptying the Alde water tank after each trip.

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    The Flow water tank is an optional on demand water heater.  It's a red elliptical tank next to the Alde, if you have one.

I have looked up how to dispose of bleach water.  It breaks down when exposed to air and light.  As long as it is diluted, it is safe to discharge into the yard away from water sources, ornamental plants, etc.  You can also collect it in a large tub and let it sit out in the open and allow the chlorine to break down.  Just don’t put it directly in a storm drain.  You can also dispose of it down the toilet or even directly access your sanitary sewer (not a septic tank).  
    I would be careful putting the bleach water directly on a yard.  At that concentration I've seen worms race out of the ground and die if they can't get out of the water quick enough.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @PNWtabber - they started putting the Alde Flow in the 400s about mid 2018 model year or so.  
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM -- thanks for info on flow.  Doesn't apply in my case, so I guess I just need to open the drain valve for my Alde.  So much to learn.  I am preparing pre- and post-trip checklists!

• Options
    @PNWtabber - when you drain the Alde water tank and the fresh water tank, remember to drain the plumbing lines by opening up your hot and cold low point drains.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM -- THANKS!!!!

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Our TaB400 was built in Jan 2018, and was one of the last ones built without the Alde Flo from what I was told by nüCamp, when we inquired about having the Flo added in.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.