Options

2017 cs-s max. Air conditioner leaking

Hello.  Need some help.  My t@b air conditioner has a small drip after I turned it off.  Ran it for a couple hours then when I went to bed it dripped down the window into my pillow.  Any ideas?  I just got the camper on Friday!  
2017 CSS Max

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    The drain hole for the A/C is in the right front corner as you face the A/C.  You need to level the TaB slightly head down to get it to drain, otherwise it stays in the pan and your bed gets wet.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HergHerg Member Posts: 38
  • Options
    Is this the drain from the air conditioner do you know?   Is it supposed to have the plug in it?  How would I find out?
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    Or is this it?
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    So I should take the plug out of the small one?  The water was dripping in the window when I used the air conditioner. 
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Herg, please do not remove the plug. It is possibly the Alde glycol drain that is plugged to keep the glycol in. 

The hose you are looking for may be inside the frame and further towards the aisle in your T@B. You are looking for a clear hose, not a black hose. On my 2014, mine came down inside the metal frame and was resting on the bottom of the “C” channel frame.  It was hard to find. 

You should only be looking in front of driver’s side tire, directly below the wall that has your Alde controls on it.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
  • Options
    @Herg, here is a picture of the area under the TaB in front of the driver’s side tire.  The tube in the top of the photo is the plugged glycol drain which is only used when you change out the glycol.  The fat, lower tube is the A/C condensation drain.

• Options
    Now I’m really confused.  Good thing I did not take the plug out.  Ok.  I will look to see if anything is in the big black tube
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    My apologies, @Herg.  From your first photo, and as I questioned whether that photo was generally in front of the driver's side tire, that should be where your A/C drain is located.  In that photo, it looks like a cork-type plug.  The Alde drain plug is much clearer in @Sharon_is_SAM's photo, so I am glad she posted it.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Yes.  ThAnk you from your help.  Not sure now what to do.  I’m just wondering how far off level could cause an issue.  I was about 2 inches off
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    Tongue down and a little tilt to the passenger side.  We just put the tongue down and it works.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Just fyi, here's what our A/C drain pan looks like with the unit removed..

Ours slopes away from the vent wall & slightly towards the front.  The drain hole is in that little extension towards the front inside corner of the pan that goes inside the wall.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Wow thank you.  Do you think you could see this from behind the Moore or in the bathroom?  It does look like if the trailer was higher in the front it would not hit the drain and go out towards the back for ire.  Thank you. 
    2017 CSS Max
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I get rain that comes into the A/C external vents, pools in that pan, and then leaks out of the rear, inside corner of the AC box.  Isn't that a plastic bin pan that all the water should be caught in?  Any thoughts about what's going on?
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The pan may be cracked.  Another member recently reported a repair to the pan.  Pull out the AC unit and take a peek.
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2020
    I had this identical problem, which I attribute to poor design and shoddy implementation--more like a hack than a tidy install (nuCamp could do better). I pulled the AC, and caulked where the drain pan meets the wooden walls. And now I'm also cautious to keep the tongue a little down. 
  • Options
    Class1978Class1978 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2020
    We have a crack in our CS 320 ac pan. Got dripped  on one night, and temporarily solved it by pointing the trailer toward the drain tube. Now we’ve pulled the ac out and trying to figure out how to patch it/place another pan inside the cracked factory-made pan. Any suggestions on patching the crack?

(Photo too large and deleted.)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Use two part epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth, or some two-part trpsir putty type materials that can be forced into the crack to seal it up.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AaronC said:
    I had this identical problem, which I attribute to poor design and shoddy implementation--more like a hack than a tidy install (nuCamp could do better)...
    nüCamp did, they changed the entire design, and eliminated the window type AC and are installing the Air8 AC units under the dinette seat bench, which drains out the bottom.  While the Air8 had issues in the 400, they seem to work well in the 320s.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    FG is a great idea, but due to the way it is installed, we can’t get to the area-can’t get the pan out of the frame. We actually have the FG on hand 
  • Options
    Remove the AC and repair the pan from the inside?
    cheers
  • Options
    We did remove it, and there is a metal frame the pan is glued to. The crack is behind the metal frame

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2020
    Yup, once the A/C was out, I shot a whole tube of sealant all around the outer edge of the pan where it comes close to that aluminum frame.  Pushed it in with a finger, all the way around, then ran it up the sides on the aluminum.  That way the crack in the corner doesn't matter unless it runs all the way into the box where you can see it under where the air conditioner was. But start by cleaning everything with alcohol.  You can use epoxy, or the infamous JB Weld too, but a good sealant that won't dry out and crack in that hot box is cheaper.  And if you ever decide to take the box apart, you can slice through sealant with a utility knife, whereas JB Weld can stand up to an acetylene torch.  :)

Although it would probably be a good idea to spread JB Weld for plastics, or equivalent, on the visible crack you can see from the outer corner, just so it doesn't spread further.  But I had a similar crack and didn't bother.

Does make me wonder if everyone with an overhead A/C has a similar crack, since so many mention they initially got dripped on before either pointing the nose 1.5° down, or sealing up the pan.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    oh and once it no longer drips even with the nose a little high, consider putting a 1" piece of rigid foam insulation on the underside of that air conditioner box.  That plastic pan is like 120F in the summer and radiates heat into the cabin.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max