Options

Bathroom fan replacement

Just replaced our Fantastic fan our our 400 with the Maxxair fan and love it.

While I was up there doing the work I was looking at the BATHROOM vent and man that thing looks terrible!

Take a look at the photos - what are those rusted rivet looking things on the edges of the mount - they aren't screws - what are they? I resealed the edges and the rusted out pieces with Lap sealant today but it make me wonder, maybe I should just replace the bathroom vent fan also.  I could use the fantastic fan I just removed or buy a new one. Has anyone ever replaced their bathroom vent fan? Is it the same size opening?
Attached are a few photos of the bathroom fan.....
Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    We have a couple of small warranty items to take care of here soon and I'm going to have Austin and his crew at the factory install a MaxxAir 7500K in place of the Fantastic Fan, then move the Fantastic Fan (and the MaxxAir cover I had installed when we took delivery) to the bathroom. The bathroom fan works ok, but it's noisy and seems cheap, so it's going away altogether. 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Yep, ours looks the same. Our fan quit working. I cleaned the contacts but still didn't work. Might be the switch. There is a fair amount of rust around the fan motor, switch, and anything else metal. 
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    Haloo said:
    Yep, ours looks the same. Our fan quit working. I cleaned the contacts but still didn't work. Might be the switch. There is a fair amount of rust around the fan motor, switch, and anything else metal. 
    Yep, the bathroom fan doesn't look to be the best quality.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    They are supposed to be a Fantastic Fan brand, just a different model designed for shower areas.  It does look like stainless fasteners would have been a better choice to eliminate the rust issues.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    I have always been amazed at how often a manufacturer or installer will use ferrous metal fasteners and other parts instead of stainless steel to save a dollar so the end user has to deal with it down the road. 
  • Options
    SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    @Michael49 did you decide to move the fantastic fan into the bathroom spot? I'm considering upgrading the main fan to something with a remote and moving the existing main fan to the bathroom. It looks like it would be a easy swap out into the same type of frame.
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    SeaLaVie said:
    @Michael49 did you decide to move the fantastic fan into the bathroom spot? I'm considering upgrading the main fan to something with a remote and moving the existing main fan to the bathroom. It looks like it would be a easy swap out into the same type of frame.
    It does look pretty simple, the sad part is that I’m amazed how bad our Fantastic fan looks - looks like it went through a war for some reason!!! So I haven’t decided what to do yet.

Loving the Maxxair so far though and what I’m most happy about is despite the insane rain we’ve had lately in New England - no leaks!!! :) 
  • Options
    WyoReddogWyoReddog Member Posts: 9
    Hi all! A newbie question—why is everyone switching out their fantastic fans for maxxair? Is there something I should know? Also it doesn’t seem there is a fan or window that opens in the 320s? Is it possible to add a functional window in the bathroom or a small fan?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The Fantastic Fan has limited speeds, is noisy and takes a lot of amps for those who boondock.  The 320 bathroom window is stationary.  There is not an option for a window that opens.  Maybe you can email repair@nucamprv.com and inquire if there is a window available that opens.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    edited June 2020
    You can alternatively upgrade the existing (main) fan with this kit. It also takes care of excessive noise and high current drain.  Also can automatically close its lid when it starts raining.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    That kit is for the main fan, not the bathroom fan, entirely a different design. 
    I did install this kit on the main cabin fan, it is fantastic, you get remote control of the fan, thermostat auto control, and several very quiet slow fan speeds. 
    Cheere
  • Options
    GliddenwoodsGliddenwoods Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2020
    I had a Fan-Tastic model 7350 installed in the main cabin.
    Very pleased with temp control with auto shutoff and rain shutoff.
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Not to hijack this thread, but it seems a good place to ask:
    Can the nucamp installed bathroom fan be wired to exhaust instead of blowing down into the bathroom? I was wondering if just reversing the power wires would reverse the fan direction...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChrisFix, have you tried adjusting with the position of the Louvers? In one position (I call it summer), the air does blow down, but the other two positions (maybe only one...I haven’t used the shower for a few months) seems to deflect the air so it’s not coming down straight at you. I only use the fan after the shower as I’m wiping the walls, curtain and floor down as it does certainly help with that and to disperse the humidity. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    No need, the fan works both ways, there is a control knob on the fan, just turn it, to get exhaust only.  This closes the side vents, and the fan will exhaonly.   That said, when not in use, to get added ventilation in the toilet/shower, I leave the vent in dual mode (side vents open), and close them to get exhaust only when showering or ...
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    +2 for the multi speed remote controlled Fantastic fan in the place of the 3 speed Fantastic fan. The highest speed seems to be as loud as the 1st speed on the 3-speed FF. 

@WyoReddog the owners are replacing the 3 speed fan with a 10+ speed fan with remote. Quieter and more energy efficient when boondocking. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna and @Denny16
    Thank you...this was user error on my part. 
    I didn't notice the Open/Close arrows words & arrows embossed  into the vent
    and thought I was using it in the Open mode, but in fact it was in the Closed mode.
    When you switch from open to closed, what I saw lifting up inside the fan housing were the shutters closing against the side vents to close the vent - and I misinterpreted the lifting shutter as opening the vent...not closing it.
    And with those side vents closed, the fan is blowing up into the housing and being redirected back down into the bathroom...
    I get it now and it makes a lot more sense than I was giving it!!
    Total newbie mistake...

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    edited July 2020
    @Denny16. So im confused. You are talking about the bathroom fan right? In the close position you are saying the fan exhausts? With the vents closed, where can the air go? Mine on my 2019 has two side vents outside and the knob just seems to either pull in the flaps covering the external side vents. In open position it leaves them on covered.

(Edited for photo size.)

• Options
    @Tundra57
    You're correct in how it works.
    With the vent in the Open position, the flaps that cover the side vents on the roof cover are down (as in your photo) and the fan is pushing air up and out of the bath through the vents in the cover.
    With the vent in the Closed position, the flaps push up and close the vents in the cover. When in the Closed position, the fan pushes air up into the fan housing, and with nowhere to escape, recirculates downward mainly through the openings in the fan housing that are hidden underneath the flaps in your picture.
    It creates the illusion of pulling air into the bath, but is just recirculating it.

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
  • Options
    OK, seems like it was pulling fresh air in, at least that what my dealer thought.
    Thanks for the update.
    cheers
  • Options
    laetuloslaetulos Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know the model number for the fan in the photos here? Mine keeps breaking (those two plastic posts on either side break on rough roads, been fixing it with guerilla glue).

Also, anyone do a fan replacement yourselves? Run into any problems? Seems like if I can just remove the caulk on the outside and take out all the screws I should be able to remove and replace the fan, but would be good to have some confirmation that this works fine before proceeding.

Thanks, Lee
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2022
    So, has anyone tried just dropping in a different model fantastic fan into the bathroom? It appears to have a very similar "frame" so I'm wondering if there is a model fan (maybe even the same upgrade as the main cabin) that is also a simple drop in swap? @Denny16 surely you have researched this?  ;)
  • Options
    We replaced our bathroom fan with the same 13 speed fan that we upgraded our cabin to. Replacement was quite straightforward, hole was the right size. Our one remote now controls both fans.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    @rh5555 that's amazing news! did you have to source a cover for the new fan? seems like the drop in kit doesn't come with the cover right?

• Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    We had our fan change out with a warranty replacement provided by Nucamp, the fan was the same size as the old one that was replaced.

2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We bought a whole new fan (including cover) cheap on Amazon because it was missing its remote control. Tossed all parts of old fan.
  • Options
  • Options
    B11B11 Member Posts: 42
    @rh5555 Would you be willing to share the fan brand n model? I'm very interested in comparing the fan you used with the Maxxaire 7500k.
    2022 T@b 400bd
    2022 F-150
    Gratitude
  • Options
    It was a Fantastic Fan model 7350