Towing package

jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
I'm still trying to get a TV. The dealer has a 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4, V8 without the towing package. (It's not listed on the window sticker, BUT it has a trailer hitch). He's telling me that it can tow 6200lbs and will be fine for the 2021 TAB 400. I told him that if it doesn't say "Trailer Tow Group IV" on the sticker, then it doesn't have what I need. 
The Trailer Tow Group IV has additional engine cooling, beefed up suspension etc... Am I right to pass up this offer? I'm SO tired of explaining to dealerships what the towing package is. 

Comments

• Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Typical dealer-talk. I’m not familiar with Jeeps specifically, but even if it’s technically able to tow that weight I would hold out for one with the factory package IMO.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    Thanks! That's what I'm thinking too. 
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I'd agree. Any dealer/service agent worth their salt would be able to explain the towing capacity based on the VIN number. 

May want to call one or two "reliable" auto repair shops or another dealer to get their take but from what you say, I'd run...fast...the other way. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    With Jeeps, you can look up the VIN and see all of the specs it had when it left the factory. Overlands almost always have a factory tow package.

https://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Jeep.html

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    And Jeep tow package includes regular size spare tire
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @jkjenn. That’s a cool website.  Our 2018 Trailhawk trimmed GC shows the Group IV towing package to be standard, but the one 2017 Overland I looked up didn’t. 

@jenniferlzr Don’t give up, if it’s not that one, your perfect TV is waiting for you somewhere.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    They seem to have mixed up the WK2 trim package a bit over the last couple of years. I can't find a xactly what I want, either.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• kurtkurt Member Posts: 11
    It sounds like the dealer is confusing what the vehicle is able to tow down a flat road such as a large boat vs. a vehicle that is designed to pull a RV up and over the hills multiple times in a single day. I would not buy a TV without the factory installed tow package. 
  • gandegande Member Posts: 91
    We had a 2014 Jeep GC diesel that came with a hitch but without the tow package. It pulled our 400 just fine and the diesel got great mileage. However, it was always in the back of my mind that we were operating at the limit of the Jeep’s towing specs, particularly the hitch weight.  We ended up trading it in on a Ram 1500 crew cab WITH the tow package and a gas V8. The peace of mind was well worth it!
    Also, all the extra space inside the cab of the truck and the ability to put so much in the bed (like our e-bikes) is an extra benefit. We loved the Jeep as a car but the truck is a MUCH better tow vehicle. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    It's very confusing. According to the specs I've seen, the Overland trim can tow 7200lbs, but it doesn't include the engine cooling from what I'm reading and I can't find any mention of trailer wiring. If certain towing "items" are standard, why aren't they listed? Odd.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited July 2020
    Jennifer, take a look at the Jeep Gladiator Sport S with tow package (Not the max tow), makes a grand TV for any TaB.  I haul a TaB400 with mine.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Denny16 ; I only have 80k miles on my diesel wagon, but lust for a diesel Gladiator. I've seen several articles say there was a 2020 diesel Gladiator and there will be that option in 2021 as well.  But that powerplant doesn't show up when I go to Jeep.com and use the build configurator. Confused.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• monamona Member Posts: 240
    The trailer tow group lV, should be standard equipment on this particular model. Only on the 2x4 is it not standard. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
    DougH, the Jeep version of the Diesel engine has just been released for the Wrangler, and should be available for the Gladiator in 2021, towards the end of this year.  Here is what the new engine looks like:

I dare ya to give that a tune up... ;)
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

edited July 2020
    A British Sports car from the 1960’s I can do, but I would not know where to even start with this rig AirBoss.  :o
    cheers
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Denny16 said:
    DougH, the Jeep version of the Diesel engine has just been released for the Wrangler, and should be available for the Gladiator in 2021, towards the end of this year.  Here is what the new engine looks like:
    @Denny16 ; Thanks!   Now I just need to find a dealer that will swap me even for my BMW wagon, and will guarantee I get the same 25mpg when towing a 320.   :)
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Good luck with that one...  B)
    cheers
    So true, @Denny16 . Helped my dad rebuild a Datsun 2000 Roadster in 1968. Learned a lot about repairs and working with the right tools. 

Nowadays...about the only tool I use for such things is my pen when I write the check!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

You and me both...  The only “auto repair” I have done is change the air filter on my Dakota, and add windshield washer fluid.  The Jeep gets “free” service for 3-years, so good to go there.

You want to see a scary engine compartment, check,out under the hood of a Chevy Volt — massive electrical cables
    cheers
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    AirBoss said:
    I dare ya to give that a tune up... ;)
    I remember doing tune ups on my first truck - '73 Chevy with a 350 V8 engine.  I could sit on the wheel well under the hood with my feet on the frame to change the spark plugs.

Man those were the days.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
    Indeed! So much room in there and so easy to DIY all sorts of things. Rebuilt 65 Ford 6cyl 3speed to 283 4speed, suspension, etc. Learned alot...mostly about what NOT to do! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Stop dealing with dealerships.  In this day find the exact vehicle you want online.  Once you find it then go look and touch it.  I like cargurus.com or autotrader.com.  There’s also carvanna.com.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

I'm still trying to get a TV. The dealer has a 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4, V8 without the towing package. (It's not listed on the window sticker, BUT it has a trailer hitch). He's telling me that it can tow 6200lbs and will be fine for the 2021 TAB 400. I told him that if it doesn't say "Trailer Tow Group IV" on the sticker, then it doesn't have what I need. 
    The Trailer Tow Group IV has additional engine cooling, beefed up suspension etc... Am I right to pass up this offer? I'm SO tired of explaining to dealerships what the towing package is. 
    @jenniferlzr, On the 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland, the towing Package is part of the Overland trim package, and not a separate option, I looked up the general specs for the Overland and got this:
    PERFORMANCE
    Base engine size3.6 Liters
    Base engine typeV-6
    Horsepower295 Hp
    Horsepower rpm6,400
    Torque260 Lb-Ft.
    Torque rpm4,000
    Payload1,150 Lbs.
    Maximum towing capacity6,200 Lbs.
    Drive typeFour-Wheel

Get the Vin number for the one you are interested
    in and look it up on the Jeep website, it will give you the
    details for that Vehicle.
    cheers